Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2015 7:58:37 PM EDT
Seems our newly elected legislature thought they'd do me a favor.  So they say, I, as a member of the middle class, got a "tax break".

Edited idiots!  They think I believe that?

In years past my wife and I got a state refund, usually in the $500 range.  Last year it was $700.  Our income and deductions have remained relatively the same from last year.

This year we PAID $9.00.

I may vote Democrat, just for revenge.  In any case, any incumbent will not get my vote.

Everyday it's something new they're doing to Edited N Carolina.

While I certainly agree with your sentiments, please keep the language used in the NC HTF clean.  If you have any questions, see the tacked thread at the top of the forum page.  - DV8
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid way more than that and have a kid.  I don't get the tax system one bit.  

Oh that's right I shouldn't have gotten married (sarcasm).  Then I would have gotten back 4 times I paid in.

Its a sore subject to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I paid way more than that and have a kid.  I don't get the tax system one bit.  

Oh that's right I shouldn't have gotten married (sarcasm).  Then I would have gotten back 4 times I paid in.

Its a sore subject to me.
View Quote

The marriage penalty, ahhhh yes.

In the early years of our marriage, we were paying so much in tax that I suggested we get a divorce, and live together.

That did NOT go over well.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#3]
If you had to pay $9 when filing your return it sounds like your withholding was almost perfect. Was your overall tax due for 2014 higher than 2013?

My goal when calculating withholding is to pay a little bit in April. Getting a tax refund means I gave the state an interest free loan, I'd rather hang onto my money as long as possible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you had to pay $9 when filing your return it sounds like your withholding was almost perfect. Was your overall tax due for 2014 higher than 2013?

My goal when calculating withholding is to pay a little bit in April. Getting a tax refund means I gave the state an interest free loan, I'd rather hang onto my money as long as possible.
View Quote

I let my accountant deal with all that stuff.

My point is that my taxes went up, as did many others.  There have been a couple of editorials of late from people like myself, usually retired or semi-retired, who experienced tax increases, regardless what Senators Berger and Rucho said in a recent article in the Charlotte Observer.

Our income and deductions have remained flat for several years.  Typically we have to pay the feds and get back from state.

Last years refund from state was approx. $700.  this year we paid $9.

I see that as a tax increase.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]

My income and expenses were about the same but I had to pay $1900 more in state
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally, I am beginning to regret voting Republican

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Republicans may sit on the right and Democrats on the left, but they all sit in the same room.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Republicans may sit on the right and Democrats on the left, but they all sit in the same room.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's becoming an question of which one kisses me softest once their finished  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got 4 kids and had to pay the state $600, and I dont make that much per year. I'd be happy with your $9 loss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top