Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2015 10:07:30 AM EDT
Considering moving to the High Point / Archdale area for a job for the wife. I fly everywhere so I can live whereever I want. I know nothing about NC but have distant family in SC and Charlotte. The move would be from FL. No kids. Would be comfortable with a ~$400-500k mortgage. She wants the "seasons", which we dont have in FL obviously and to be closer to her family. I would be interested in a little land (have a postage stamp now) and at least a 3 car garage. HOA's arent an issue for us unless they preclude trucks.

Thoughts on this area, NC in general? Costs of living, taxes, gun laws, etc.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing I know is High Point University hosts the Globetrotter's world tour
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Taxes aren't too bad, except the gasoline tax. Gas runs about $0.30-0.40 cents higher per gallon due to the higher state gasoline tax.

With your budget you should have no issue finding a house with land. Might have to be in the country a little bit though.

Gun laws kinda suck in my opinion after living in several other states.

To buy a handgun you need to ask permission from the local sheriff to get a purchase permit, or you can get your CCW to bypass that. Just pisses me off that they require you to do that in the first place. For NFA items several sherifs won't sign off on them, so you have to go the trust route to bypass them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in High Point now, work in Archdale at the LGS.  If you stay in Randolph County and out of Guilford you should be fine.  

Good gun laws, no major issues with taxes or other problems.  In general I really enjoy the area and have been happy to live here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi there,

I am in the Trinity area, which is next to Archdale. Actually, many people in this area refer to this area as "Archdale/Trinity," even though the two are separate towns. I graduated from the high school that almost everybody in Archdale goes to. As far as moving to the "High Point/Archdale" area, I would not want to live in High Point. High Point is a run down city, it is economically depressed and has been since the late nineties. The crash in Fall 2008 made it much worse. High Point is one of these NC towns whose economies was totally based around furniture manufacturing and textiles mills. When most of those left, not much was left.

The biggest thing going in High Point is, as someone else pointed out, High Point University.

As for Archdale and also, Trinity, you are talking about Northwestern Randolph county. High Point is in South and Southeast Guilford county. Archdale and Trinity are OK if you are looking for a slow pace of life, a cheap place to live and rural. Trinity is technically a city, a very small city and a city on paper only. Trinity is rural but there is an ongoing fight among the residents. Most want to remain rural and a minority want development.

Archdale is developed, but not very much.

To me, moving here from Florida would be a major culture shock. Im not trying to dissuade you, but this place compared to Florida, is pretty backwards.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To me, moving here from Florida would be a major culture shock. Im not trying to dissuade you, but this place compared to Florida, is pretty backwards.
View Quote
That's funny, when I moved to Orlando from Pittsburgh I thought Florida in general  was pretty backwards.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hi there,

I am in the Trinity area, which is next to Archdale. Actually, many people in this area refer to this area as "Archdale/Trinity," even though the two are separate towns. I graduated from the high school that almost everybody in Archdale goes to. As far as moving to the "High Point/Archdale" area, I would not want to live in High Point. High Point is a run down city, it is economically depressed and has been since the late nineties. The crash in Fall 2008 made it much worse. High Point is one of these NC towns whose economies was totally based around furniture manufacturing and textiles mills. When most of those left, not much was left.

The biggest thing going in High Point is, as someone else pointed out, High Point University.

As for Archdale and also, Trinity, you are talking about Northwestern Randolph county. High Point is in South and Southeast Guilford county. Archdale and Trinity are OK if you are looking for a slow pace of life, a cheap place to live and rural. Trinity is technically a city, a very small city and a city on paper only. Trinity is rural but there is an ongoing fight among the residents. Most want to remain rural and a minority want development.

Archdale is developed, but not very much.

View Quote

I appreciate the honest opinion.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I've only lived in NC.  But have lived in three different towns.  We lived several years in High Point and I worked in Greensboro, which is a pretty large town.  High Point isn't what it used to be, due to furniture mfg moving overseas as mentioned.  But I enjoyed living there.  Worst part of it was the drive to work and back each day.  It has most of what you'd expect in a medium size town.  And not too far to drive to Greensboro, which has anything you would expect of a large town, unless you're from a really large town like Charlotte, etc.  

How much land are you wanting?  $4-5K will get you a very nice house, but not a nice house and a lot of land.  

Gun laws are not as good as in Florida.  But not too bad either.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live in High Point now, work in Archdale at the LGS.  If you stay in Randolph County and out of Guilford you should be fine.  

Good gun laws, no major issues with taxes or other problems.  In general I really enjoy the area and have been happy to live here.
View Quote

Found several properties that interest us in ashboro, Randleman and the southeast side of greensboro. What's the issue with Guilford county?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Found several properties that interest us in ashboro, Randleman and the southeast side of greensboro. What's the issue with Guilford county?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IM sent
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent

Guilford is a big Liberal cesspool, higher taxes, not so gun friendly sheriff, in general not the best county to live in.  There are worse but there are better very close.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#11]
we may also may need to consider somewhere between archdale/high point and Winston Salem. anything in this area we should consider?

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I like Archdale, and the surrounding small towns and burgs.  Trinity is a rather nice small town, and Thomasville while not the prettiest place in the world has some good areas.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#13]
thoughts on Steeplechase? there's numerous existing homes for sale as well as new construction going on in this subdivision.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top