Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 6:20:03 AM EDT
My job has me relocating to gastonia in a week. Coming from the midwest, the crime rate looks horrible and the public education system seems terrible. I am trying not to be negative about these things. I was stationed at bragg and love NC. I actually requested to go back to NC. After signing my lease, i started looking at schools and the one we are assigned has terrible ratings. Has anybody been successful in getting enrolled in a school that they are not assigned to? Then i started seriously looking at the crime rates. I'm deffinately concearned. Our house is in a new neighborhood, but you have to cruise the ghetto to get to it.  My kiddo is in the 1st grade and we are seriously considering private school to finish this year and then home school for the next couple years. For the crime, i am mostly worried about home invasions, i will be installing a security system to help with this. Does anybody in or around Gastonia have any insight/tips/advise? Is it as bad as i am picturing or am i being dramatic? I spent about 18 hours in gastonia last month before i signed my lease, looking for homes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Follow on question. I got my nc ccl while at bragg and it expired this past December. Do i have to retake a course since i am going to be in a different county or how does it work to renew?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Since your CCH expired you have to retake it, no worries though around here it's pretty cheap.  What area of Gaston county are you moving to?  By your comments it sounds like the southern part of the county.  FYI Fred Durst (the lead singer from Limp Bizkit) went to Hunter Huss High School.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be living in gastonia off 85 and 321
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife & I are also relocating to the Gastonia area, for her job. Probably not until May, but we're looking at areas to rent a house before we buy. Preferably close to a range
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in Gastonia area.

I can tell you where not to live.

321 @ 85 is not a place to live.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My wife & I are also relocating to the Gastonia area, for her job. Probably not until May, but we're looking at areas to rent a house before we buy. Preferably close to a range
View Quote
Let me know, I can help, I live 3 miles from Gastonia.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Why did you choose the 321-85 area? Like what was said, there are some really nice areas of Gastonia and some sketchy areas.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I was looking at houses online and there was two in that area that i was interested in. We were kind of in a bind to get a lease signed. The neighborhood seems nice. However, once you leave it, you're in the hood. I couldn't find any places that didn't seem like a nice subdivision that was dropped in the hood. I didn't really go check out the west side of town because i was very short on time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I was looking at houses online and there was two in that area that i was interested in. We were kind of in a bind to get a lease signed. The neighborhood seems nice. However, once you leave it, you're in the hood. I couldn't find any places that didn't seem like a nice subdivision that was dropped in the hood. I didn't really go check out the west side of town because i was very short on time.
View Quote

Which township are you in?

If you want to know more about the areas PM me.  I know the county very well.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If I get a chance, I will try to map out where I wouldn't live....

I live in a township most won't.... But most don't understand the area.

my house is 1600 sqft brick on a 1/2 acre under 100k.  Older establish neighborhood.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Would you mind a little longer drive?

Kings Mountain would be a good location.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I have lived in Gtown for all my life. I also work public safety. If you want to talk about the area and have some general Intel on the area, pm me and we can talk on the phone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Jeep, i sent you an IM. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Follow on question. I got my nc ccl while at bragg and it expired this past December. Do i have to retake a course since i am going to be in a different county or how does it work to renew?
View Quote

First off there is no such thing as a CCL in NC it is a CHP and applies to hand guns only. That being said yes you will have to retake the course and apply in the county in which you live in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

First off there is no such thing as a CCL in NC it is a CHP and applies to hand guns only. That being said yes you will have to retake the course and apply in the county in which you live in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for setting me straight on the terminology. I got signed up to retake the course today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top