Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2015 3:18:46 PM EDT
The wife and I are thinking about buying a vacation home in Nags Head. Different name for an area, but how is the town? How are the gun laws out there? We're hoping that it has to be warmer than CO!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Be extremely careful in your purchase.  A lot of out-of-state folks who don't know the nature of our Outer Banks purchase beautiful property along the ocean only to find it in the ocean several years later.  That area has a lot of erosion...make sure you do your homework in selecting the property.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Like the last poster be wary when you purchase property on the Outer Banks.  You also need to find out how much it will cost you to insure the place.  You might need flood coverage as well.  Insurance on the structure as well as wind and hail is very expensive.  I have a place in Brunswick county and the insurance is outrageous.  If II was looking I would look around Brunswick Co.   There are a couple of nice ranges and the sheriff is very pro gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Pay heed to the two posts above. The outer banks is a hurricane magnet. In the winter months a lot of
places there shut down though it is not as bad as before. In the summer it is packed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
What the others said.  Honestly, you'd do better, if you want something waterfront or close by, trying the southern shores like Oak Island, Sunset, Calabash, etc.  They tend to avoid the hurricanes for the most part, there's far more property available for much more reasonable prices, and as mentioned a couple times now, you don't have to worry about coming to your vacation home to find that it now sits 30 feet offshore.

That said, I love the Outer Banks as a place to visit, but having been there many times and known a few locals, I'd never live there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top