Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 2:56:47 AM EDT
Coming up to visit some friends in Durham. I will be bringing guns and knives. What do I need to know ? I do have a Georgia carry permit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Coming up to visit some friends in Durham. I will be bringing guns and knives. What do I need to know ? I do have a Georgia carry permit.
View Quote
If you're going to Durham, bring lots of ammo .

Duty to inform officers you are carrying, no carrying with alcohol in your system, any "no concealed" sign in any sense or form carries weight of law.

I think thats the big points.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Duty to inform officers you are carrying, no carrying with alcohol in your system, any "no concealed" sign in any sense or form carries weight of law.

I always hear that it carries the full weight of the law, but have been unable to find out what that means?

Is it a misdemeanor, a ticket or worse?

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always hear that it carries the full weight of the law, but have been unable to find out what that means?

Pretty sure it is whatever the charge is for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. I think that was misdemeanor for first offense, felony for second.

I believe it says the sign must be posted in a "conspicuous manner", with no definition of what that means. I've always been curious if anyone with a permit has actually been charged with breaking that law, because concealed means concealed.

*Not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sure it is whatever the charge is for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. I think that was misdemeanor for first offense, felony for second.

I believe it says the sign must be posted in a "conspicuous manner", with no definition of what that means. I've always been curious if anyone with a permit has actually been charged with breaking that law, because concealed means concealed.

*Not a lawyer.

Its a different offense for a CHL holder that carries in a prohibited place.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Not a lawyer.

Its a different offense for a CHL holder that carries in a prohibited place.
Really? Never saw that. Do you know what it is?

Sorry for the thread de-rail, I hope you have a nice visit
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

*Not a lawyer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Not a lawyer.

The answer is in the concealed handgun statutes.

§ 14-415.21.  Violations of this Article punishable as an infraction.

(a)        A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14-415.11, shall be guilty of an infraction and shall be punished in accordance with G.S. 14-3.1. In lieu of paying a fine the person may surrender the permit.

(a1)      A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun in violation of subdivision (c)(8) or subsection (c2) of G.S. 14-415.11 shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b)        A person who violates the provisions of this Article other than as set forth in subsection (a) or (a1) of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.  (1995, c. 398, s. 1; 2011-268, s. 21(a); 2013-369, s. 16.)

§ 14-415.11.  Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a)        Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

(b)        The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14-415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c)        Except as provided in G.S. 14-415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

(1)        Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.2, 14-269.3, and 14-277.2.

(2)        Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.4, except as allowed under G.S. 14-269.4(6).

(3)        In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120-32.1.

(4)        In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law.

(5)        In a law enforcement or correctional facility.

(6)        In a building housing only State or federal offices.

(7)        In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.

(8)        On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Here you go OP all the NC gun laws you want to know.
http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=21209
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top