Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 12:43:58 PM EDT
We are from Florida and don't know squat about snow activities. Is there usually plenty of snow around New Years? It's the only time we can make it up. How is it around Sugar Mountain and Beech Mountain. I'm thinking about renting a big house in Banner Elk. Any advice or recommendations?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife and I just came back from west jefferson which is north of that area. Hawksnest I believe is about 5 minutes away from you. Snow tubing and zip line. A lot of fun for people from Florida I think
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Just no. We don't need any more people from Florida up there. You people don't know how to drive in the mountains and that becomes a danger to us all, especially during the winter.

just kidding, no, but really don't come

I lived up there for 5 years. The area is gorgeous, plenty of ski shops, lots of hippies. Appalachian ski is between Boone and Blowing Rock, Hawksnest is just tubing, most of the snow is manufactured by snow machines. Hope you have fun
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We are from Florida and don't know squat about snow activities. Is there usually plenty of snow around New Years? It's the only time we can make it up. How is it around Sugar Mountain and Beech Mountain. I'm thinking about renting a big house in Banner Elk. Any advice or recommendations?  
View Quote

I've never been to Beech Mtn. but Sugar has plenty for all skill levels and is easy to get too.  You will need a front wheel drive with good all seasons or a 4WD/AWD to get around if it snows.  Hawknest is small, cold and has been windy as hell every time I've been there.  Appalachian is very small.

ETA:  I see you're from FL, scratch what said about FWD, 4WD and AWD.  You best hire a driver if it snows.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Beech is pretty good too. We usually run Beech or Sugar during the day and then go over to App at night.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Sugar Mtn. is in Banner Elk and is one of the better and larger resorts. I would recommend Sugar. Yes, they blow snow most nights so there will be plenty of snow.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Do any of the areas around Banner Elk (Sugar, Beech, etc.) allow RV camping on-site?  Like in the parking lots?  That was the thing to do out west when I lived in WA... cheap (free?) and close... would be cool to do here too.  

Google found a couple of campgrounds (year-round with RV hookups) in the Banner Elk area too... so there's always that i guess.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do any of the areas around Banner Elk (Sugar, Beech, etc.) allow RV camping on-site?  Like in the parking lots?  That was the thing to do out west when I lived in WA... cheap (free?) and close... would be cool to do here too.  

Google found a couple of campgrounds (year-round with RV hookups) in the Banner Elk area too... so there's always that i guess.

View Quote

No RV camping on site at any of the slopes.  I don't think there's any RV camping in Banner Elk, at least I can't think of any right now.  You'll probably have to go to Boone for RV Camping.

The slopes will be good at the end of December for the OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top