Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 7:29:03 PM EDT
Okay, a wee bit dramatic, but I need some help.  I was contacted by our CIO today and he asked me what it would take to get me to move to Charlotte.  So, with a little bit of playful banter back and forth, a substantial amount of money was offered to relocate.  There are still a few things that are going to need to be ironed out, but the seed has been planted.

So my questions to you are:
      -  Where are good places to live within a 30 minute (non-rush hour) drive to Ballantyne?  I'm guessing the price range for a 4br house should be 250,000'ish.  I've seen plenty of houses in that range in Waxhaw and a few other areas.
      -  What are the better school districts that I should be looking into?  Yep, this question is closely related to the first question.
      -  How are the gun laws down there?  I heard that you have to get a permit to be able to buy a pistol, but not one to buy an AR.  
      -  How is the competition shooting scene?  IDPA, GSSF, etc.  I have been out of it for a few years, but would love to get back into it.

I will be back in the Queen City in a few weeks and would like to check out a few areas to consider for a possible (almost certain) relocation.

Thanks,
Frank
"Foxtrot9"
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You do need a Pistol Purchase Permit...but go ahead and get your Concealed Handgun Permit and it negates the need for the PPP.

Honestly, if it was me, I'd live a couple minutes into SC if I wanted to be near Ballantyne. My dad lives in Fort Mill, SC. Neighborhood (Bridgehampton) has entrances in both states.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I live well North of Charlotte, probably more like 50 minutes from Ballantyne, so I can't answer any of the housing/school questions, unless you want a longer commute, but:

Gun laws are not bad, and getting better. Pistol purchase permits are required to buy a pistol, BUT if you have a Concealed Handgun Permit then you get to bypass the pistol purchase permits AND get to bypass the phone-in background checks as well, so buying a gun can literally take you all of 5 minutes. Which has resulted in many unplanned purchases on my part . AR's are treated like any other long gun, nothing special. Just got a bunch more places we can CCW last year, but "No gun" signs do carry the weight of the law.  

I shoot USPSA, there are two different matches right now, both North of Charlotte. They've been pretty full recently, so there seems to be lots of interest in the area. Cant speak for anything other than USPSA though.

Overall its a pretty good place to live. Lots of State Parks / mountains within a two hour drive, Lake Norman is a good spot for recreation/fishing, and there's lots of other activities in the area.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey frank, Im from VA as well. If you live in NOVA this traffic here will seem like sunshine to you. Although it does get dicey on 77 sometimes comparable to 495

I live in uptown in the center city and its absolutely amazing. If I were having to go to ballantyne, I would sill live here as its only 15 min away, and life is just too easy...if I wanted a house I would probably go to SC, for tax purposes, not to mention better gun laws.

There are great deals to be had on homes here in questionable areas/school districts...also really nice areas like southpark and ballantyne. I love the neighborhoods in these areas, but then I think if Im this far south, I should have some land, which always brings me back to SC.

I do most my shooting in SC too where there is much better ranges about 45min-1hr drive south of Charlotte. I plan to buy the condo Im living in the city, and buying a home in SC in a year or so if I decide I want to make it more permanent. Best of both worlds, for what a fairly average home in NOVA costs...loving it!

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
go on into Fort Mill or Indian Land or Lancaster. Ballentyne is a freakn nightmare everytime I have to drive thru there. And Waxhaw or anywhere in western Union county should be avoided. Western Union just had a school re districting and your kids may not go to the school right around the corner. Everything is overpriced in western Union county. Catch my drift.....I'm serious about Union county....lot of folks here are moving down across the state line since it's right there. Taxes, schools, gun laws, traffic.
I'm sure others will come along shortly to tell you to avoid Union county.........
Unless you would like to buy my house   you play golf? I'll make you a deal
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm about 30 minutes south, I hate traffic, I'll stay out in the country.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
When you get here come shoot the PHA 2 Gun every 3rd Saturday in Linwood, NC (~ 1 hour from South Charlotte).

5 stages with a mix of rifle and pistol (total of usually 150 rifle rounds, 50 pistol rounds); targets 0-40 yards.  Entry is $20 and the group is always very friendly (usually between 30-60 shooters)

Not me, just one stage I pulled from youtube:

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you get here come shoot the PHA 2 Gun every 3rd Saturday in Linwood, NC (~ 1 hour from South Charlotte).

5 stages with a mix of rifle and pistol (total of usually 150 rifle rounds, 50 pistol rounds); targets 0-40 yards.  Entry is $20 and the group is always very friendly (usually between 30-60 shooters)

Not me, just one stage I pulled from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnhEdUhR9bI
View Quote

That's pretty cool. Never heard of that shoot before so I looked it up. Sounds like a fun one
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent input.  We are currently looking at real estate in Fort Mill, but are also wanting to look in the NC side for the higher education in-state tuition for our kids.  Lots of pro's and few con's to bith sides.

I will be back down in a few weeks and plan on sight seeing in regards to neighborhoods and locations.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Excellent input.  We are currently looking at real estate in Fort Mill, but are also wanting to look in the NC side for the higher education in-state tuition for our kids.  Lots of pro's and few con's to bith sides.

I will be back down in a few weeks and plan on sight seeing in regards to neighborhoods and locations.
View Quote

If you want something a little more rural check out Hwy. 218 east of 485.  If I were moving closer to Charlotte that is where I would start.  It would be within your 30 minute commute time to Ballantyne.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Will do.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in Mint Hill.  Best of many worlds IMHO
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Mint Hill looks promising too.  I'm liking this area, Waxhaw, Fort Mill, etc.

Okay, so seeing all sorts of houses larger than I expected in my desired price range, and houses of the same caliber almost twice the price in close areas...what's the scoop?  Was there a rezoning recently that put a bunch of nice houses in a ghetto school district?  Is there an outbreak of ebola-aids infected zombie chupacabras or what?  Some of these houses are selling for $40-50K less than they were built for.

Don't get me wrong, that isn't going to be the deciding factor (unless the schools are friggin' terrible), but I do have 4 kids (3 still in school, one enlisted in the Navy).  So, the kids' schools, rec league sports, etc. will be a heavy influence.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't know squat about the schools here.  If I had kids I'd send them to a private school regardless of where I lived.  

2000 - 2008 was a housing boom and they were building houses faster than you could believe.  Then the housing market crashed and prices plummeted.  They are coming back but you can still get a lot of house for the money especially in comparisons with other areas of the country.  

My $130K house would be $150-175K in Atlanta for example.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a product of Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools, and have no problem with the education I received (Independence High School in Mint Hill, class of '93). That being said, absolutely no way I'd send my child to a CMS school these days. That's why my 8-year-old is in private school. If I lived outside of Meck, it would be a different story.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Matthews , union county
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mint Hill looks promising too.  I'm liking this area, Waxhaw, Fort Mill, etc.

Okay, so seeing all sorts of houses larger than I expected in my desired price range, and houses of the same caliber almost twice the price in close areas...what's the scoop?  Was there a rezoning recently that put a bunch of nice houses in a ghetto school district?  Is there an outbreak of ebola-aids infected zombie chupacabras or what?  Some of these houses are selling for $40-50K less than they were built for.

Don't get me wrong, that isn't going to be the deciding factor (unless the schools are friggin' terrible), but I do have 4 kids (3 still in school, one enlisted in the Navy).  So, the kids' schools, rec league sports, etc. will be a heavy influence.

View Quote

Weddington and Marvin are considered to be the "best" schools, but there were a lot of drugs in Weddington when my little brother was there.  I went to Sun Valley, and I thought it was a great high school.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I lived in Indian Trail for about 5 years and just moved to SC. I would have to agree with alot of people to stay out of NC if you can. Just across the border is nice. At a minimum you don't want to be anywhere in Mecklenberg County.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#18]
House prices in Charlotte vary substantially by what area you are in.  I'm a little outside of uptown (Sedgefield), less than 1200sf 3bd 1ba and my house would probably sell around 260k now and the schools in this area suck.  Fort Mill is just over the SC border and close to Ballantine with much better schools.  Something like that might be a better option.  My wife and I lived here and actively searched for 9 months before we bought a house here, if you have any questions or want to know more about certain areas I'll be happy to help as much as I can.  Feel free to email me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
F9,

Just thought i would share with you, in case you might be interested, and in the neighborhood this weekend Dec. 13-14, and may or may not be aware.. The Dixie Classic Gun & Knife Show ( www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com ) at The Metrolina Expo in Charlotte.. Usually a pretty good show..

Merry Christmas to you & yours..

RR
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mint Hill checking in as well. Little slice of country life dropped in the middle of the city.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I lived in Indian Trail for about 5 years and just moved to SC. I would have to agree with alot of people to stay out of NC if you can. Just across the border is nice. At a minimum you don't want to be anywhere in Mecklenberg County.
View Quote

Taxes in Meck. and Gaston suck donkey balls.

Quote from a LE friend of mine, "You can't swing a dead cat in Charlotte without hitting a dozen s#*theads".
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all of the input.  I'm definitely starting to favor being on the other side of the border, but not 100% sold yet.  I was going to venture out last night, but by the time I left work, all I wanted to do was to go grab a bite to eat over.  I didn't stray far from the hotel though - Duckworths was a nice place.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I will get to sit down with our CIO and hear his final pitch to me.  

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am in between Mint Hill and Midland.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I would go just south of the border as well, the benefits out weigh the cons substantially, plus you will still be very close to the ballantyne area. The Charlotte-Meck school system is a joke it's horrible, there are lots of drugs, gangs and just bad influences all around. I'm glad I got pulled and sent to private school when I did.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Mark it as official.  I just accepted.  I will start the relocation process in June.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd say check into Indian land just south of the SC border, and like 10 mins from Ballyntine. Lower taxes and seems like a decent place. I work just north of there but travel through the area often. Seems like a decent place.

just my .02

camaro
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm moving from Ballantyne to Ft. Mill in March. Both are nice areas, I just wanted a bigger house and lower taxes.

-ZA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top