Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2014 9:40:08 AM EDT
ok, I think its time to abandon ship here in NY. I cant take the crap. I am currently a corrections officer for the state...and honestly, when the day comes for me to retire I'm not sure the state will honor the pension. If any of you ever heard of what happened to Kodak, they pretty much told its 25+ year employees they could not afford to pay the pensions and just hung them out to dry...well..I have a feeling NYS is going to do the same at the rate the state is decaying.

I've been thinking about moving down to a free state, and want to know how hard it is to get into the state corrections system down there? It took me three years and a 8 week academy to get into NYS.
Any information you guys could give would be awesome. Not sure If i have to be a resident down there before applying or of I can stay up here. how long does it take to get in? are they even hiring?

thanks guys!!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to check this site out.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/northcarolina/default.cfm

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
In addition to the state site, which I believe is a continuous posting/hiring position at this time, also check the various county and/or county sheriff's office webpages where you plan to live as to my knowledge all the local jails in NC are administered by the SO, some counties list SO jobs separately from the main county job website. Being as you already work in corrections I would imagine there is an expedited process for getting your cert, but this is NC, and I have certainly be wrong before thinking gov might do something efficiently. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
HOLY SMOKES you guys only pay CO's 29k a year!?!?! I tried to look at living cost difference between where I live and Raleigh, NC and they are about the same...but I make around 50k a year here. that's way too much of a difference. damn it
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HOLY SMOKES you guys only pay CO's 29k a year!?!?! I tried to look at living cost difference between where I live and Raleigh, NC and they are about the same...but I make around 50k a year here. that's way too much of a difference. damn it
View Quote

Sarcastic hat on...

Welcome to the South.  200+ years of tradition unimpeded by progress.

I'll quit before it gets political.....
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't work it ...but have friends that do. Lanesboro Correctional Institution is a high security prison facility and Brown Creek Correctional Institution is medium and low security. Next door to each other in Polkton NC.
Both friends say it's an OK job....if you can get used to all the grunting and groaning when the lights go out at night. Prison love and all that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Law Enforcement and Corrections are notoriously underpaid in the south
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a CO at Piedmont Correctional Institution in Salisbury, NC for about 6 months after I got out of the Marine Corps.  I had my BLET and was waiting on the local sheriffs department to hire me.  I took this job on advice while I waited.

It was the absolute worst job I've ever held.  It took 4 months just to get certified to carry pepper spray and would have been another 6 for a school seat.

The staff was with either wannabe cops, incompetent idiots, trouble makers, old, overweight or some combination. It may be different in other states, but I wouldn't recommend this job to anybody.  I ended not even pursuing a job in law enforcement because I didn't wait to deal with these types of people, both inmates and officers.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The staff was with either wannabe cops, incompetent idiots, trouble makers, old, overweight or some combination. It may be different in other states, but I wouldn't recommend this job to anybody.  I ended not even pursuing a job in law enforcement because I didn't wait to deal with these types of people, both inmates and officers.

View Quote

It's the same here. I deal with a lot of that on a daily basis. It seems a lot of them fat kids that got picked on in high school become ass hat COd..as soon as they step inside the fence they become super cop. ego inflated power trip gods that love to push their authority around. Makes my job harder

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ok, I think its time to abandon ship here in NY. I cant take the crap. I am currently a corrections officer for the state...and honestly, when the day comes for me to retire I'm not sure the state will honor the pension. If any of you ever heard of what happened to Kodak, they pretty much told its 25+ year employees they could not afford to pay the pensions and just hung them out to dry...well..I have a feeling NYS is going to do the same at the rate the state is decaying.

I've been thinking about moving down to a free state, and want to know how hard it is to get into the state corrections system down there? It took me three years and a 8 week academy to get into NYS.
Any information you guys could give would be awesome. Not sure If i have to be a resident down there before applying or of I can stay up here. how long does it take to get in? are they even hiring?

thanks guys!!!
View Quote

Email sent
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was a CO at Piedmont Correctional Institution in Salisbury, NC for about 6 months after I got out of the Marine Corps.  I had my BLET and was waiting on the local sheriffs department to hire me.  I took this job on advice while I waited.

It was the absolute worst job I've ever held.  It took 4 months just to get certified to carry pepper spray and would have been another 6 for a school seat.

View Quote

Really!  Four months to be certified to carry pepper spray?  I was certified to carry pepper spray after the 1 week orientation class.  And I started the 1 month basic training class two months later.

Vulcan94
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top