Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 9:17:19 AM EDT
Hey guys.
I am selling my car to someone about 2 hours away. The only time she can come is Tuesday night.
She wants to drive it back that night and then register it at her DMV the next morning.
I know this isn't an ideal situation, but if she keeps my plate on there 1. how could that effect me? and 2. Can she turn it into the DMV or does it have to be me?

And finally, do I have to be at the DMV with her to sign the title or can I just sign it and give it to her?

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The seller's signature is the only one that has to be notarized, or at least that's how it was the last time I sold one.

So, you can give the buyer a signed/notarized title when they pay for the vehicle.

I wouldn't give them my tag...that's up to them to figure out. The one time I forgot (when I sold a trailer), I just reported it as lost the next day. That's an option if you wanted to leave the tag on for them to get home.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
So if she takes my plate so she can get home, should I just have her mail it back to me?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No, the plates are your property and your responsibility.
She needs her own plates. The DMV has asked me to surrender plates for vehicles that I have sold.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So if she takes my plate so she can get home, should I just have her mail it back to me?
View Quote

As I mentioned, you can report them lost it stolen when they open up the next morning...if you want to let her drive home with them. I'm not recommending you let her do that, but you do have options other than retrieving them (especially if you're not going to transfer them to another vehicle). Just tell them you don't need a replacement.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Why can't she just mail it back to me and I hand them in?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why can't she just mail it back to me and I hand them in?
View Quote

That'll work just fine. No problem at all. Except for the fact she's riding with plates she has no legal right to possess.

I'm just letting you know if she decides to say screw it and not send them back, it won't matter...you wouldn't need to go find her and retrieve them if you didn't want to.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Just tell her to get an appropriate size piece of cardboard, a black marker, and write "LOST TAG" or "TAG APPLIED FOR" and stick it in the license plate frame or rear window before she drives off. She'll be fine; I see it all the time in NC.

(Not a lawyer or a traffic cop, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude.  Do not give someone your tags.  There are zero reasons for you to do this.  You are responsible for them.

There are also zero reasons for her to do this other than hoping Johnny Law doesn't pull her over.

How are you both going to explain the tags if something bad happens?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dude.  Do not give someone your tags.  There are zero reasons for you to do this.  You are responsible for them.

There are also zero reasons for her to do this other than hoping Johnny Law doesn't pull her over.

View Quote

So what are my options?
She can only come evenings so there is no way to meet at the DMV.
Can she get a temporary tag where she is without the title?

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
At this point...you need to just call the DMV.

Better yet, sell the car, take the plate off, and wish them safe travel.

Having a plate to get home is the buyer's issue, not yours.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

If she doesn't feel like mailing them back to you then expect topay a fine.

If I recall, it's over $200
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm just having her call the dmv. If she can't figure something out by the weekend I'll just sell the car to someone else.
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#13]
You are liable for the in the vehicle, because the title is still in your name, the plates are yours and so is the insurance or still in effect (I would  leave a day or two of coverage past the sale just in case for CYA, screw the refund chump change for  extra risk safety  ). A lot to gamble if you don't know and trust this person. Surely someone she knows can help her, after all she is getting ride down with someone who can follow her back and two people with backing stories on the side of the road, most LEO would cut them a break for a vehicle transfer of ownership. Even the LEOs who are "performance reviewed" for amount of "paperwork". There are enough real issues that they don't need to make case that will get thrown out.

Question why can't she bring down a friend's plate or have an insurance binder for coverage and show it if stopped with the just dated,signed and notarized(which is dated also) title, I image most LEO would give them a break with at most a warning ticket but likely a verbal "make sure you get it done ASAP". Even if she did get a ticket, all it would take is "D.A. i had just bought the car, had insurance and was not able to get a tag  for car i did not own which see here i did all of this the next day at the DMV when they were open". Pretty much not worth the hassle and getting legal gets tickets dropped normally, so the odds are.... .   Insurance coverage can be binding on transfers  but they have to pay and you can even float in there if you crooked/gamble with a policy that doesn't have the license plate tied to it but the make and model plus year. All shows intent, the DMV is not 24/7 and people have lives. This person may be 100% legit and doing everything they can and will do as said, which makes the caution  seem foolish but getting burned is far worse.

I would make sure you had yourself covered because what if that title doesn't get registered? Then you are still the owner for liability(you can prove you're not in court but what will that cost you....),  taxes and the state , county, and city will want their  share. They can be reasonable and total understanding. Totaled a vehicle  and did the dispute over  owing any such tax, and especially of a high amount(other scrap value in theory) and it was in transfer to the insurance company for ownership during the change over  for the tax ownership date. Which was set a letter saying i was released from any debt and owed nothing. So  the Tax people are really decent and will  work with you, if you show them proof. Since you are having  to have it notarized, have her sign it there also and photo copy it for you records. But do not let them go with your tags, that is risking troubles. A title with just your signature is a gamble make sure they fill in their info in front of you. if you can't photocopy/scan it take a photo and even offer to take one with your phone of her with it and send it to her her phone(creates a trail & protection for you)

Stolen tags have values especially if your vehicle is popular model and color. Automatic Tag  readers and their updated software databases can take time for entry and for data population to all users. If such officers even have the equipment. Now add an out of state use in the mix and things get even more sketchy ....

Sadly we all have become paranoid because of scammers. remember when certified checks and money orders were all good to go?  Sad how far the criminal element has ruined trust and goodwill of people.

The LEO forum may give you better answers for advice and warnings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top