Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 12:22:49 PM EDT
Hi guys.  

I have some bad news from my father.  He has a recurrence of Metastatic Colon cancer that may have spread to his stomach.  He has lost a large amount of weight, and per his caretakers/friends in the area, his Dr. is more concerned with quality of life than extension of life at this point.

My family and I may have to head up at short notice to visit with him and say our goodbyes.  

He will be giving us stuff to keep in the family and disseminate to other family members when we come back.    

He has multiple firearms that he will be giving to me and his grand-daughters.   My question is:  Can I pick these firearms up while there, and just bring them back to Texas with me?  I know you can't buy in another state without going through an FFL and sending to an FFL in your home state.

Is this a case of "Don't invite the man into your life", and I can just bring them back with me as gifts?

Thanks for your help.

If you're interested, he's in the Asheville area.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
To buy a handgun in NC, even individual to individual, you're required to have a pistol purchase permit from the local Sheriff's Dept. This is not required for long guns. So, no question that long guns are good to go.

I wouldn't think the PPP requirement would be part of a gift/heirloom transaction.

I would just take them all home. Just make sure they're in the trunk or locked away as to not get into a concealed weapon situation without a permit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a valid Texas CHL.  I just went over the NC carry laws and reciprocity.  Looks like I'm good to carry there, as long as I pay attention to signage.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the exact wording from our Attorney General's publication.

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/NC_Firearms_Laws-February_2014.pdf

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give
away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the State, any pistol, unless the purchaser or
receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county
where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North
Carolina issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer
of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but
also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-
402(a).
In addition, this State law has been interpreted to require that a pistol permit be obtained by
the receiver of a handgun when such person inherits a pistol as a result of the death of another
person. The permit should be given to and retained by the seller or donor of the handgun. In such
a case, the permit should be given to the executor or receiver of the estate of the deceased person.
If the purchaser or receiver uses a North Carolina issued concealed carry permit for the transfer,
the seller should reference such permit on a bill of sale.

The problem is there is nothing addressing out of state inheritances. Since you have a Texas CHL (the county where you reside) you should be covered but still might want to check with a lawyer (just in case).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
1st off I am sorry for your terrible news, 2ndly I'd load them up and keep my mouth shut!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1st off I am sorry for your terrible news, 2ndly I'd load them up and keep my mouth shut!
View Quote

This. Unless it is something that is illegal in your state or requires additional taxes to be paid, I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]
One way to do it legal is to ship it to a dealer in Texas.  If there is no in-state transfer, you're fine.  Also, if the transfer takes place in South Carolina, there is no law broken.  There has always been a problem regulating the private sales of firearms.  The only people who are going to follow the law are the ones who aren't going to be doing anything bad with the firearms.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This. Unless it is something that is illegal in your state or requires additional taxes to be paid, I wouldn't worry about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Load them up, toss in the trunk and head for Texas. Don't be like a military officer and

make simple stuff hard.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I may not be heading home with anything just yet.  Father took a turn for the worse and had a heart attack yesterday.  He had a 90% blockage in one heart chamber, and 70% in another.  They did a cleaning/stent because the normal double bypass would kill him right now.

We're piling in and driving up Sunday at 0'Dark thirty for the 16 hour or so drive.   He doesn't want us to come see him in the hospital, but we're not going to twiddle our thumbs down here if something happens.
So.. wife and I are looking at this like an unexpected vacation and we're going to be in the area if he wants to see us.

We don't want to cause undue stress, but his grand daughters want to see him at least once before he passes.

Anyone in the Asheville area that can tell me what sides of town to avoid?  And what we can do when we're not visiting?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Load them up, toss in the trunk and head for Texas. Don't be like a military officer and    make simple stuff hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Load them up, toss in the trunk and head for Texas. Don't be like a military officer and    make simple stuff hard.

agree
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Regardless of Comrade Attorney General "Red" Roy Cooper's typical refusal to just state NC law, you cannot legally just take possession of a  gun outside of your state of residence.

Pistols not in your home state have to be transfered to you by a FFL in your home state.  And in NC, ANY transfer of ownership of a pistol requires the receiver to have either a pistol purchase permit or an NC CHL.

And rifles and shotguns would have to be transferred through an FFL, either here in NC or in Texas.

1.  Federal law.  "A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18
922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27
478.29 and 478.30"

2.  NC law:  Sale of Weapons in Certain Counties.

§ 14-402.  Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a)        It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.

It is unlawful for any person or persons to receive from any postmaster, postal clerk, employee in the parcel post department, rural mail carrier, express agent or employee, railroad agent or employee within the State of North Carolina any pistol without having in his or their possession and without exhibiting at the time of the delivery of the same and to the person delivering the same the permit from the sheriff as provided in G.S. 14-403. Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(b)        This section does not apply to an antique firearm or an historic edged weapon.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Regardless of Comrade Attorney General "Red" Roy Cooper's typical refusal to just state NC law, you cannot legally just take possession of a  gun outside of your state of residence.

Pistols not in your home state have to be transfered to you by a FFL in your home state.  And in NC, ANY transfer of ownership of a pistol requires the receiver to have either a pistol purchase permit or an NC CHL.

And rifles and shotguns would have to be transferred through an FFL, either here in NC or in Texas.

1.  Federal law.  "A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18  922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27  478.29 and 478.30"

2.  NC law:  Sale of Weapons in Certain Counties.

§ 14-402.  Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a)        It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.

It is unlawful for any person or persons to receive from any postmaster, postal clerk, employee in the parcel post department, rural mail carrier, express agent or employee, railroad agent or employee within the State of North Carolina any pistol without having in his or their possession and without exhibiting at the time of the delivery of the same and to the person delivering the same the permit from the sheriff as provided in G.S. 14-403. Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(b)        This section does not apply to an antique firearm or an historic edged weapon.

View Quote

even though legally accurate, I can't say as I know of any case where someone was arrested for violating this law in the case of a firearm being gifted from one family member to another.

I actually once had a friend who bought a gun from another friend and just shipped it to him across state lines. as far as I know the guy still has it and uses it in his EDC rotation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

even though legally accurate, I can't say as I know of any case where someone was arrested for violating this law in the case of a firearm being gifted from one family member to another.

I actually once had a friend who bought a gun from another friend and just shipped it to him across state lines. as far as I know the guy still has it and uses it in his EDC rotation.
View Quote

The likelihood of getting caught and examples of others having done it aside, I would not promote, advise or encourage anyone to commit a state or Federal crime - especially on a public forum on the internet.

Do people transfer pistols in NC everyday without out the receiver having a pistol purchase permit or NC CHL as per NCGS §14-402?  Yes.  Is it a crime (class 2 misdemeanor)?  Yes.

Do people transfer firearms, including pistols, to people from out of state and / or across state lines in violation of 18 USC §922(a)(3) and (b)(3)?  Probably thousands every day.  Is it a Federal felony that could land a person in prison and cost them their RKBA?  Yes.

Do people do these crimes and then whine like beaten puppies if they get caught?  Yes.

And it's an ARFCOM COC #4 violation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Granted this is "skirting the law" IMO, but what if you were to borrow the firearms from him? There is nothing that I'm aware of that prohibits you from borrowing firearms and taking them out of state, no transfer of ownership (just possession), so long as they're not NFA items and both you and the guns are legal where ever you're going, which it sounds like you're OK.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, thank you all for the replies.  I'll see what I need to do to get them back down to me legally.  I possess a valid Texas CHL.   What's involved in a permit to buy?
I think the weapons he's going to be handing down to me are all rifles.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Well, thank you all for the replies.  I'll see what I need to do to get them back down to me legally.  I possess a valid Texas CHL.   What's involved in a permit to buy?

I think the weapons he's going to be handing down to me are all rifles.
View Quote

Pistol purchase permits are used by NC residents that dont have an NC CHL to buy pistols.  A Texas resident can't get an NC pistol purchase permit (except military stationed here) and your Texas CHL isn't going to do anything - any pistol from an NC (or any non-Texas) resident legally has to be transfered to you in Texas by a FFL in Texas.

Rifles (and shotguns) - since you are out-of-state, under Federal law (which NC and Texas law mirrors), they can be transfered to you by an FFL in NC.  Carry them in with your relative.  The FFL logs them in to his bound book, you do a 4473, get called in, walk out with them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The likelihood of getting caught and examples of others having done it aside, I would not promote, advise or encourage anyone to commit a state or Federal crime - especially on a public forum on the internet.

Do people transfer pistols in NC everyday without out the receiver having a pistol purchase permit or NC CHL as per NCGS §14-402?  Yes.  Is it a crime (class 2 misdemeanor)?  Yes.

Do people transfer firearms, including pistols, to people from out of state and / or across state lines in violation of 18 USC §922(a)(3) and (b)(3)?  Probably thousands every day.  Is it a Federal felony that could land a person in prison and cost them their RKBA?  Yes.

Do people do these crimes and then whine like beaten puppies if they get caught?  Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I broke no COC. I did not say "do it" i just said I've seen it done and nothing came of if.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I broke no COC. I did not say "do it" i just said I've seen it done and nothing came of if.
View Quote

Did I say you did?  We can all look at the posts above.  One poster said just load them up and a chorus chimed in agreeing with that.  That happens in every thread like this.

Personally I know people do this all the time and only the most zealous black-garbed, masked, jack-booted thug of the armed organs of State security would ever actually stomp someone's kitten over it...  Except that there have been kittens stomped for less.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Who's to say you didn't bring em from Texas to have some range time with family.
Sorry to hear about your Dad's poor health.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top