Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 6:51:18 PM EDT
Anyone going to try hunting with a silencer this fall and if so will it be small game or big game like deer?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Not this year but will be next year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If I would have purchased my suppressor about two months earlier, then yes I would be

Always next year though!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Why yes I am.  Small and large game.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Small game for sure.  Large game depends..............
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
As soon as my purchase is complete, I'll be hunting hogs with one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Did last year and will this year until I die.  Small and big game.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
What rifle are you using?  Thinking of getting a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 since the barrel is already threaded.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not this year but will be next year.
View Quote

This is all works out in November
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What rifle are you using?  Thinking of getting a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 since the barrel is already threaded.
View Quote

This one was a AAC model 7 in 300 blk.  Shooting a 247gr cast hollow point at subsonic velocity.

I have been hunting subsonic for 4 seasons using AR15 and the model 7. Last year was the first year i could actually hunt with my suppressor.   This year i am using my AR15 pistol in 300 blk. Like the one in my avatar but with a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#10]
If I ever get my can .... 12 months and counting.....  still waiting....
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This one was a AAC model 7 in 300 blk.  Shooting a 247gr cast hollow point at subsonic velocity.

I have been hunting subsonic for 4 seasons using AR15 and the model 7. Last year was the first year i could actually hunt with my suppressor.   This year i am using my AR15 pistol in 300 blk. Like the one in my avatar but with a shorter barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gettng a suppressor in .308.  If you don't mind a novice question, for the suppressor to "work" do you only use subsonic rounds?  What range and accuracy are you getting with subsonic rounds?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm gettng a suppressor in .308.  If you don't mind a novice question, for the suppressor to "work" do you only use subsonic rounds?  What range and accuracy are you getting with subsonic rounds?

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been hunting subsonic for 4 seasons using AR15 and the model 7. Last year was the first year I could actually hunt with my suppressor.   This year i am using my AR15 pistol in 300 blk. Like the one in my avatar but with a shorter barrel.

Thanks!

as a general answer : that depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

subsonic rounds thru a suppressor are going to be significantly quieter then a super sonic round.  The reality is that in most if not all cases a super sonic suppressed round is still not "hearing safe" it may not hurt to shoot it, but the decibels are still high enough to cause hearing damage.

A lot of this will also depend on suppressor design and material. Some suppressor are not rated for super sonic rifle loads. some guys get a 9mm pistol suppressor and run only subs, some like you get a .308 can and run supers and subs.

Also Do not think that you will get Hollywood mouse fart quiet.  that is not reality.  I have some quiet loads but they are not Hollywood

Also take into account how the particular round is loaded,  for instance I have different subsonic loads for my AR15 and my model 7. Still keeping the velocity at or below 1000fps. With the AR15 if you want it to cycle then you have to use a powder that will produce enough gas but still keep it subsonic, A1680 is what I use the most for this.  for my model 7 I don't need the gas volume so I can use a faster pistol powder.  Red Dot is one I use for heavy subsonic and trail boss for lightweight subsonic.  these are substantially quieter then the same bullet from the AR15, and the lightweight subsonic will not function an AR15 anyways.  well there have been some guys getting lightweight subs to work but I think they had heavily modified their rifles.

I do have a .308 load for my Savage .308 using a 247gr cast that is very quiet suppressed

My shooting  range is limited to 65 yds, and that actually works well for me since I rarely have more then a 50 yd shot on deer.

But it is not hard at all to keep 5 shots in an inch at that distance.  guys have pushed it way out for subs.  I mean 3 -400yds and get solid hits on 10 -12 inch gongs.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:24:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Also take into account how the particular round is loaded,  for instance I have different subsonic loads for my AR15 and my model 7. Still keeping the velocity at or below 1000fps. With the AR15 if you want it to cycle then you have to use a powder that will produce enough gas but still keep it subsonic, A1680 is what I use the most for this.  for my model 7 I don't need the gas volume so I can use a faster pistol powder.  Red Dot is one I use for heavy subsonic and trail boss for lightweight subsonic.  these are substantially quieter then the same bullet from the AR15, and the lightweight sub sonic will not function an AR15 anyways.  well.
here have been some guys getting lightweight subs to work but I think they had heavily modified their rifles.

View Quote

Load specs please.

I would think 1680 was too hot in 223..
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Load specs please.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also take into account how the particular round is loaded,  for instance I have different subsonic loads for my AR15 and my model 7. Still keeping the velocity at or below 1000fps. With the AR15 if you want it to cycle then you have to use a powder that will produce enough gas but still keep it subsonic, A1680 is what I use the most for this.  for my model 7 I don't need the gas volume so I can use a faster pistol powder.  Red Dot is one I use for heavy subsonic and trail boss for lightweight subsonic.  these are substantially quieter then the same bullet from the AR15, and the lightweight sub sonic will not function an AR15 anyways.  well.
here have been some guys getting lightweight subs to work but I think they had heavily modified their rifles.

Load specs please.

I have actually seen load data for lightweight bullets in .223, using 1680, but it was far from optimal.  There is no correlation with .223 and .300blk when it comes to load data.  that is often a mistake made by novices to the 300blk. I get a lot of PMs regarding guys wanting to use TAC or RL15, or whatever their favorite .223 or .308 powder is.  None of them or optimal, and a lot of them simply will not work.

as far as Data goes Are you looking for a specific Bullet weight?  also are you wanting to do subsonic hunting? if so I encourage you to read this.

300blk subsonic hunting primer

This has been my trials with subsonic hunting.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you think it will make any difference if you got your silencer on a trust vs. CLEO signoff when it comes to hunting with it in NC?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you think it will make any difference if you got your silencer on a trust vs. CLEO signoff when it comes to hunting with it in NC?
View Quote

Nope.  Mine is a form 1 CLEO sign off.  No difference in the eyes of the WRC.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
That's good to know. I've been wondering if WRC would only accept CLEO sign offs and prohibit hunters with cans on trusts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top