Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2014 3:42:17 PM EDT
I plan on taking a conceal carry class in October. I am new to NC and new to pistols. I want to go straight for the ccp since I want one eventually and I have to wait 6 months just to get a purchase permit.

Anyway, I took a beginners pistol class at Bullzeye in Wilmington last month, and the instructor basically made it sound like you can't pass the conceal class without 1 on 1 lessons/training, etc. He said you have to learn how to draw from a holster, etc.

I am a good shot with a pistol. I have gone and shot several times now.

my question is, do I need to do anything special to prepare for the class or will I be fine? Any tips?

Also, I do not own a pistol so I will have to rent one for the class. Will this hinder passing the class or getting the actual conceal permit down the road? (not already owning the pistol that I will carry)

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I plan on taking a conceal carry class in October. I am new to NC and new to pistols. I want to go straight for the ccp since I want one eventually and I have to wait 6 months just to get a purchase permit.

Anyway, I took a beginners pistol class at Bullzeye in Wilmington last month, and the instructor basically made it sound like you can't pass the conceal class without 1 on 1 lessons/training, etc. He said you have to learn how to draw from a holster, etc.

my question is, do I need to do anything special to prepare for the class or will I be fine? Any tips?

Also, I do not own a pistol so I will have to rent one for the class. Will this hinder passing the class or getting the actual conceal permit down the road? (not already owning the pistol that I will carry)

Thanks guys!
View Quote

First, many instructors do just the bare minimum the state requires and while it meets the requirements of the state it can be lacking in many ways. Some go to much better lengths and provide a better rounded class so ask around. The class by law has to be a minimum of 8 hours class plus the range qualification time. A minimum of 2 hours class must be on laws but that's difficult at best to cover all the required laws and answer questions in only two hours. Many classes go into much more detail.

You should be fine as far as the shooting portion since most classes have you shoot a minimum of 30 rounds (10 from each distance) from 3, 5, and 7 yards at a silhouette style target. Also, some instructors shoot more rounds and include some non dominate hand shooting just to get you introduced to variables.

The biggest tip I can give you is to WRITE DOWN any questions you have on the NC laws since the class time can get pretty busy and you may forget to ask if you don't have it written down. You'll also benefit from smaller class sizes since with those your personal instructor time is greater and you get more opportunities to discuss what you feel is important to you.

Welcome, and make sure you get a good nights rest before since it's a long day and have fun!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First, many instructors do just the bare minimum the state requires and while it meets the requirements of the state it can be lacking in many ways. Some go to much better lengths and provide a better rounded class so ask around. The class by law has to be a minimum of 8 hours class plus the range qualification time. A minimum of 2 hours class must be on laws but that's difficult at best to cover all the required laws and answer questions in only two hours. Many classes go into much more detail.

You should be fine as far as the shooting portion since most classes have you shoot a minimum of 30 rounds (10 from each distance) from 3, 5, and 7 yards at a silhouette style target. Also, some instructors shoot more rounds and include some non dominate hand shooting just to get you introduced to variables.

The biggest tip I can give you is to WRITE DOWN any questions you have on the NC laws since the class time can get pretty busy and you may forget to ask if you don't have it written down. You'll also benefit from smaller class sizes since with those your personal instructor time is greater and you get more opportunities to discuss what you feel is important to you.

Welcome, and make sure you get a good nights rest before since it's a long day and have fun!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys!

Thank you! Good info. I definitely want to learn, not just get through the class so I will look around.

Is there a written test in the conceal class?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
There are usually two tests, one on the legal and one on the handgun and safety. As a side note, ask the instructor if they use a state provided video for the legal portion. If they do then walk away. The state required that the video not be used any longer since many of the laws have changed since it's production and any instructor still using it is not in compliance.

The tests are on covered material and should be fairly easy. Some instructors use the test in the back of the "red book" (which you should get a copy of usually) and some instructors have expounded on those tests to make sure you have a decent understanding of the laws.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
A buddy and me sent out wives to the class about a year and a half ago. My wife had shot a 22 Buckmark once in her life, and that was the extent of her firearm experience minus one round of .40 that same day. I sent a bull barrel Ruger Mark II with her that she'd never even held, and she went 40/40. The shooting part is about as easy as it gets.

The classroom section can be tedious depending on instructor. You may also have a lot of complete newbies in the class. I had at least 3-4 that had never even held a pistol before. So, you'll have to deal with those types of questions getting asked.

That being said...I don't think any prep work is necessary. Just pay attention while you're there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO, the NC standards are pretty easy. I have never heard of anyone failing it. I have seen people who have never even fired a handgun before do just fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can't pass the shooting portion you don't need a CCW.  Seriously, it's that easy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you can't pass the shooting portion you don't need a CCW.  Seriously, it's that easy.
View Quote

This.

The guy I took my course from about 13 years ago had a legally blind lady pass the shooting portion.  This is not hearsay, I actually watched her qualify.

Do any qualified instructors around here offer "refresher courses" for old guys like me that have kept up their permits and practical skills, but would like a refresher on the laws that have changed?  Sounds like that might be a money making niche market.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do any qualified instructors around here offer "refresher courses" for old guys like me that have kept up their permits and practical skills, but would like a refresher on the laws that have changed?  Sounds like that might be a money making niche market.
View Quote

I think they should take a handful of students that are just auditing the class for no charge. Just sit through the classroom portion, no shooting. Can't imagine a whole lot of people would even think about asking, so it wouldn't be an issue as far as class sizes go.

I'd be willing to pay 1/3-1/2 of the price to sit through it every 3-4 years.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to pay 1/3-1/2 of the price to sit through it every 3-4 years.
View Quote

I would, too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I do it for folks that have taken my class and request an update/refresher on a fairly regular basis.  Mostly the legal updates are what is wanted but a shooting refresher is becoming more common.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I blow through enough reloads that shooting isn't much of a problem but hitting the target may be.

The CHP/Good shoot, bad shoot laws change a hell of a lot more than the laws of physics.  I'd prefer a refresher course on the current laws.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I blow through enough reloads that shooting isn't much of a problem but hitting the target may be.

The CHP/Good shoot, bad shoot laws change a hell of a lot more than the laws of physics.  I'd prefer a refresher course on the current laws.

Thanks!

View Quote

The ones that ask for the shooting are those that got the permit and the gun grows mushrooms in the closet for a year or so. The ones that actually practice a few times a year seem to do fairly well.

It's amazing how many people don't practice at all after they get their permits.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This.

The guy I took my course from about 13 years ago had a legally blind lady pass the shooting portion.  This is not hearsay, I actually watched her qualify.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

My local range ran a refresher course last year after the laws changed, covering what was new. It was a pretty good overview, but I had done a lot of reading on the laws so I didn't really learn anything new. I don't know if they're still doing it. Eta: it was like $25 bucks for an hour or so of class time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
, do I need to do anything special to prepare for the class or will I be fine? Any tips?

View Quote

You have to put 21 of 30 shots on the very large target from 3, 5, and 7 yards.  It is pretty difficult to miss.  On the paper test part, every test questions and every answer is discussed prior to the test being handed out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top