Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2014 12:34:06 AM EDT
Need recommendations from you gents.  Been here for 5 months now and haven't been to a range yet.  I've Googled to see what's around, but I thought I'd check in here first for recommendations before I go somewhere and find out it's crappy.

What is/are the best spot(s)?  

Right now I'm just looking for a quick indoor place to take the handguns and M&P 15-22.  But bonus points if I can also shoot the AR there as well (without any dumb '1 round at a time' rules).
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Calibers is on the west side of town.  I went there a few times per year when I lived up that way.  It was good enough, although I'm not a fan of indoor ranges.

ETA - Calibers was handgun only the last time I was there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly the place I was considering going.  

I am just like you.  I much prefer to shoot outdoors.  Even during the winter up in OH, the one range I was a member at had indoor and outdoor pistol lanes, as well as two outdoor rifle ranges.  I would choose to shoot pistol outside in 5 degrees over shooting inside.

But just for the sake of getting back in, I'm ok with going to the typical fudd shop indoor range this trip.  However, I was hoping I'd be able to squeeze off a mag or two out of my AR.

Question:  Do they bug you at Caliber's and breathe over your shoulder the whole time?  There was one range I would go to in OH during the evenings when I didn't have a lot of time.  It was closer so I used it for quick trips to get some rounds down out of my CCW.  The facility was nice and new, but the staff bugged the hell out of me.  I can't remember what the ridiculous price was for 1 hour on the range, but they were sure to mark the time as soon as you walked in, and were quick to charge for any time spent over.  Meanwhile, the range nazi's would bug the hell out of me and always want to talk.  They would waste so much of my time trying to BS with me, it got to the point where I had to begin telling them as nicely as possible that I would prefer they wait until after I was done shooting.

That's one reason why I prefer shooting outdoors.  They always seem to leave you alone outside.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Come down about 30 mins south of Greensboro near the Sophia area and there's a good outdoor range for handguns, 100 yard rifle range, and skeet course (I believe).
I need to sight in some stuff, so let me know and I'll be glad to meet you out there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Calibers is ok. I've been there several times. I'm really not into indoor ranges, though. Chat up the owner and talk about military stuff before you sign up. You might get to skip the safety video.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I was a member at Calibers for awhile. It is fine. They don't breathe over your shoulder at all. In fact, the guys working there usually don't go on the range at all. They just stay at the counter. It's basically pistol and .22 caliber rifle only. 25 yard max.

I drive an hour to go to Uwharrie Flintlock now. It's a really nice outdoor range and only costs $3/day to shoot there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Last year I went to Wesmar shooting range.  It's in Highpoint on Horneytown Rd.  

It's outdoor.  Pistol, rifle and shotgun areas.  

I think it's still there  ... A quick search only shows comments / threads from 2012 and 2013 though.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I belong to this club: http://www.ccgci.org. I live behind the airport in Greensboro, and it's about a 40 minute drive for me. They are a new club, have a 100 and 200 yard rifle range, they are working on a 1000 yard range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top