Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 12:32:33 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and still live here. However I have been putting serious thought into relocation for my sake (higher earnings, less taxes, and lower cost of living) and NC is on my short list since I can make it back home if needed in short time. Plus at the ripe old age of 26 the cold has been murder on my knee (multiple surgeries).

My parents would also most likely follow me down after I've established myself. My mother and I are both software developers, and my old man is basically retired. The Pittsburgh winters are hard on my old man anymore, and  I'm hoping a warmer climate will get him to be more active to lose some weight. The climate seems to be perfect for us. I've put some feeler applications out to Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham area.

The houses seem to be about what you would pay for around here, but much newer/modern and in nicer areas.

How expensive is land? We have some acreage up in the woods near the NY line but were not sure for how long(property neighbors selling, fracking, ect). Up here land is freaking expensive and you don't get mineral rights conveyed due to the fracking boom.

I've done some research of the state and I am still uncertain about gun laws. I've read about people talking about "pistol purchase permits" around the Raleigh area, is this required across the whole state when buying a pistol? If I move down with several pistols will I have to hop through red tape?

Also what I am curious about is how vehicle registration works. It seems like there is a "highway use tax" which is a certain percentage value of your vehicle you have to pay every year, like property taxes on your car. Am I in for butthurt on this with a 2 month old $30,000 SUV? I don't mind vehicle inspections because we have that in PA.

I've always loved the state, especially since you have mountains in the west and OBX in the east (uncle has a beach house ) so I feel as if the state will offer me the outdoor experience I enjoy so much up here, but at a smaller price.

Also, how's the deer huntin and fishing? I love my bass/trout/Muskie fishin!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've done some research of the state and I am still uncertain about gun laws. I've read about people talking about "pistol purchase permits" around the Raleigh area, is this required across the whole state when buying a pistol? If I move down with several pistols will I have to hop through red tape?

Also what I am curious about is how vehicle registration works. It seems like there is a "highway use tax" which is a certain percentage value of your vehicle you have to pay every year, like property taxes on your car. Am I in for butthurt on this with a 2 month old $30,000 SUV? I don't mind vehicle inspections because we have that in PA.
View Quote

I've live here my whole life (coming up on 40 years), but have traveled to 49 of the 50...will get to Hawaii at some point. There's no place I'd rather live.

Pistol purchase permits (PPPs) are just that...for purchase. No permit needed for possession or ownership. Bring whatever you want. The PPPs are $5 apiece and are available from the local Sheriff's office. This is an NC policy, not just Raleigh. It's usually 30 days or less to get one...some as fast as same day or next day.

You can also get a Concealed Handgun Permit for ~$90 for 5-years. That will replace the need for any PPPs. It's an 8-hour class, a little range time (I think is still 3yd, 5yd and 7yd distances). Classes range from $50-$200 for the same material, depending on location and instructor.

You do pay taxes on vehicles once a year. You also have your annual plate renewal (I think it's $28 for a normal plate) and inspection (~$30). Those used to be separate, but they've finally linked them together and gotten rid if the windows sticker. You get a reminder in the mail to renew your plate, and have to get your vehicle inspected before that date (within 90 days of the renewal, if I remember correctly). The tax will depend on the city/county. I'm in Charlotte city limits, so probably the highest (or at least top 3) in the state. I just grabbed my latest bill and it shows a flat $30 for Charlotte, .8157% county rate, and .4687% city rate. Total of ~$175 for an '05 Pilot with a tax value just over $11K. That would put your $30K ride at ~$415. As I mentioned, that's probably your max across the state.

We've been in the same house since '99, so I won't be much help on real estate prices.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Based on your needs, Asheville might be your best bet, but Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Charlotte might also work for you.  Anywhere in that area.  As for real estate, I have some connections can get you in touch with a good realtor out there. Let me know.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
My home tax bill came in last week as well. As info, it's the same city/county rates. There's a $15 solid waste fee for the county and another $47 for city.

So, a $150K house would run you $1984.10 for the year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
What BigWaylon said. Inspections are less than half the price if you live in a county that didn't do emissions testing. Cost of land varies greatly depending on where you buy. Hunting and fishing is good, get close to the coast and get you sone salt water fish- im talking flounder, puppy drum, croakers, etc, not just ocean fish.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey everyone, I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and still live here. However I have been putting serious thought into relocation for my sake (higher earnings, less taxes, and lower cost of living) and NC is on my short list since I can make it back home if needed in short time. Plus at the ripe old age of 26 the cold has been murder on my knee (multiple surgeries).

My parents would also most likely follow me down after I've established myself. My mother and I are both software developers, and my old man is basically retired. The Pittsburgh winters are hard on my old man anymore, and  I'm hoping a warmer climate will get him to be more active to lose some weight. The climate seems to be perfect for us. I've put some feeler applications out to Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham area.

The houses seem to be about what you would pay for around here, but much newer/modern and in nicer areas.

How expensive is land? We have some acreage up in the woods near the NY line but were not sure for how long(property neighbors selling, fracking, ect). Up here land is freaking expensive and you don't get mineral rights conveyed due to the fracking boom.

NC is very diverse- we have beaches, mountains, and everything between. It also gets cold in NC but probably not like Pa, it depends where you are. Pistol purchase permits are a pain in the ass, stupid law that should go away, long story. CCWs are easy to get (shall issue) and exempt you from purchase permits. Whatever you bring with you as far as pistols will NOT need to be registered or anything. Yes, they do the vehicle tax thing, I have 5 bikes and 2 trucks I get hit on every year.

I've always loved the state, especially since you have mountains in the west and OBX in the east (uncle has a beach house ) so I feel as if the state will offer me the outdoor experience I enjoy so much up here, but at a smaller price.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The job market around Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham areas will be your best bet.  Personally I prefer Charlotte to Raleigh.

If you can deal with a 30 minute commute you can get out of the city and still have a nice yard, or even some decent acreage and still be close enough to enjoy the things that the city offers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

NC is divided into 4 deer hunting zones with different season dates and bag limit.  You can check out NC wildlife for more info.  I hunt public game lands when I can and have good success (can't hunt this year however).  Bass all over the state, trout up in the mountains but no muskie's that I know of (unless in the bigger lakes).  I generally do coastal fishing since I live within 4 miles of the coast.

NC wildlife

CD
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Triangle would be your best bet as a software developer.

Epic Games is one on the short list of people there.

(Triangle refers to the Raleigh area)

Raleigh has the Hurricanes, Duke, NC State, UNC CH (Tarheels)

Charlotte has Panthers, Checkers (AHL of the Hurricanes), Hornets, and some minor league teams (Baseball and such) plus Charlotte motor speedway and ZMAX drag way.  Also Carrowinds (6 flags park)

So more Techie jobs in Raleigh, banking in Charlotte.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

NC is divided into 4 deer hunting zones with different season dates and bag limit.  You can check out NC wildlife for more info.  I hunt public game lands when I can and have good success (can't hunt this year however).  Bass all over the state, trout up in the mountains but no muskie's that I know of (unless in the bigger lakes).  I generally do coastal fishing since I live within 4 miles of the coast.

NC wildlife

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NC wildlife

CD

Lake Adger in Polk County has Muskie.  That's the only place I know of in the state.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The job market around Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham areas will be your best bet.  Personally I prefer Charlotte to Raleigh.

If you can deal with a 30 minute commute you can get out of the city and still have a nice yard, or even some decent acreage and still be close enough to enjoy the things that the city offers.
View Quote

I'm in Mint Hill on 3/4 of an acre.  Mostly back yard and full of trees. I can be uptown in 10 minutes without traffic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I see my application for a position I'm really looking forward to has been referred and the closing date was Friday.

I guess I'll give a follow up call this week to see where it takes me...The pay and opportunity is too good to pass up!

Luckily I dated a woman from the south before so I know what to expect from the natives, like calling a hat a toboggan and "bless you're heart" .

Shame is I was supposed to make this journey with aforementioned woman but life works in funny ways, the way I see it is I'm in my mid 20s so I should take advantage of great opportunities somewhere new. I'll have to learn how to meet new people and all that jazz while keeping in touch with the group of friends I've have (and still have) since 2nd grade.

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Luckily I dated a woman from the south before so I know what to expect from the natives, like calling a hat a toboggan and "bless you're heart" .
View Quote

First, toboggan only refers to winter hats. Second, if you ask about my toboggan I will tell you I don't own a sled and can't give you any advice. I am not originally from NC, but I am a native of the South and have lived here most of the my life. Where this whole toboggan thing came from I have yet to figure out. I know a toboggan is a sled, and I do not wear sleds on my head. Why in the world would I call a knit cap a toboggan?

Ok, personal pet peeve rant over.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

First, toboggan only refers to winter hats. Second, if you ask about my toboggan I will tell you I don't own a sled and can't give you any advice. I am not originally from NC, but I am a native of the South and have lived here most of the my life. Where this whole toboggan thing came from I have yet to figure out. I know a toboggan is a sled, and I do not wear sleds on my head. Why in the world would I call a knit cap a toboggan?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A hat is a hat, I typically call them beanies anyway. Me n her got into the toboggan debate one time when she lived up here and we wanted to go sledding. The toboggan is a particular type of sled (see Calvin and Hobbes) and she said I was incorrect lol.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A hat is a hat, I typically call them beanies anyway. Me n her got into the toboggan debate one time when she lived up here and we wanted to go sledding. The toboggan is a particular type of sled (see Calvin and Hobbes) and she said I was incorrect lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a toboggan and a beanie are not the same.

a toboggan folds up at the bottom

a beanie does not

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top