Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 2:38:18 AM EDT
I'm am very interested in relocating, if I can find work. I'd like to learn more about the area.

Planning a trip with the GF for winter time, sort of a vacation/scouting trip up to look around.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#1]
its a college town, in the winter lots of skiing folks, in the summer time full of tourist's

wife worked about 12 yrs there, what kind of work?

not any industry, most people are service minded toward tourists or work at ASU

it sits at about 3500 ft and can get alot of snow depending on year, they do a great job clearing roads

\lots of retires

this is a start
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to live in Boone but move to the next county which is Ashe what do you want to know. As far as work that depends on what you do for a living and you can expect it to pay half what it would in a major city. If you like the mountains and cold weather and snow you will like it if not you should stay away. Boone is in Watauga county which is the home of Watauga gun club a members and guest only gun club. What else would you like to know?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I lived in the next county over (Avery) for 5 years. I loved it up there. The summers are nice but the winters can be brutal. Fall is crazy with all the tourists looking at leaves. As said before its not industry friendly for those looking for work as its a seasonal area. They area is also full of snow birds that live in Florida during the winter and the mountains during the summer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm am very interested in relocating, if I can find work. I'd like to learn more about the area.

Planning a trip with the GF for winter time, sort of a vacation/scouting trip up to look around.
View Quote

Halfback?

Unless you / GF are a doctor or college prof, maybe a lawyer there's not much up there unless you are into working in the service industry for all the tourists.

You'll need a skill, one that the illegals can't undercut you for work on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Halfback?

Unless you / GF are a doctor or college prof, maybe a lawyer there's not much up there unless you are into working in the service industry for all the tourists.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Halfback?

Native Floridian that's sick of Florida.

Does putting people in jail count as "service industry?"
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
not much crime in the "'city" also heard you have to know someone to even have a cchance...the police station is over by post office/walmart

might hav ebetter luck in surrounding areas, check out west jefferson and the counties

Good luck, I would stay atleast 1/2 hr away from Boone

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Halfback?

There is a meth problem in the area so your experience could serve you well.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in Hickory so Blowing Rock/Boone is not far from me. There is a lot to do up in that area but I wouldn't want to live there. It's crazy busy when AppState has a football game. It's pretty busy all the time and the tourists are non stop it seems. If you don't mind living away from the town and can afford it there's plenty of beautiful areas surrounding it. College kids are everywhere too! My sister in-law goes to AppState and anytime we have to go up there I dread it, lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top