Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 5:40:40 PM EDT
Preferably close to Charlotte/Concord/Huntersville.

We have an '05 Pilot, and one of the key fobs stopped working this week. Swapped batteries, no luck. Parts department says I can buy the new internal piece for $37, which I won't necessarily enjoy, but would do for the convenience. Then service department wants $105 to program it, "because it takes over an hour". Now, I know they don't have a tech staring at my key for 60+ minutes.

Anybody here able to program one if I buy the part? (Or even sell me the part at a better price?)

ETA: I found instructions on YouTube that show how to do it. Anybody that works at Honda able to confirm the steps in the description of this video are correct? Don't worry about watching the video, he doesn't go over the steps. I found another article that gave the same steps.

ETA2: I think there are two steps. I found these notes online looking for a replacement key fob:

PROGRAMMING
Price INCLUDES programming instructions for training the vehicle to recognize the remote.

This price does not include key cutting nor transponder chip programming for key portion of the unit. You should get a quote on this cost before making a purchase.

Does that mean there's programming to get locks to work, but then additional programming to get key to crank vehicle? I still have the actual key...wasn't sure if the transponder chip is in the piece with the watch batteries and button I need to replace.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
is this your set up?

If any programming of a module is required, then a J2534 pass thru with factory progarmming is required.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. That's the same instructions I've seen a couple times.

My issue is when I go to their website, I see similar instructions as I posted above:

PROGRAMMING: Price for the remote INCLUDES do it yourself programming instructions for training the vehicle to recognize the remote. The key blank has to be cut and programmed by a local Honda dealer or automotive car locksmith in your area.

I need an explanation of the need to get the key cut and programmed. I don't need the key cut. I just want to swap the internal piece of the key fob out. The instruction in the video explain how to get the locks to work (and I'm guessing the panic button will also now work). I want to know exactly where the key chip is, and if I'll need to actually get that done.

I'll probably call one of those places that sell the fobs on Monday and ask some questions.

In the meantime...if anybody can explain about the transponder chip, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
the key its self has a "chip" that has to be recognized by the body controll module. A "programming" is required to do that. J2534 pass thru devices allows accress to the b.c.m. so this can be performed.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/web/RJAAI001_J2534.htm..... the programming is free if you have a J2534 pass thru device (any reputable indy shop should/could have this tool.) and a computer.

If just doing a key fob, ( made seperately from the key) follow the video steps. (may even try the remote you have after new battery.)
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The key its self has a "chip" that has to be recognized by the body control module. A "programming" is require to do that. If just doing a key fob, ( made seperately from the key) follow the video steps. (may even try the remote you have after new battery.)
View Quote

The key "chip" is my question.

I have this:

I open it up and have this:

And then I can open the smaller piece with the buttons and that's where the battery is found:

I can replace the piece with the battery and buttons (according to the guy answering the phone at the dealer's parts counter). Is the key chip in that? Or is it part of the key itself? There's a small cover that can be seen in the second pic above, top right corner of the black plastic section with the key portion. Not sure if the chip is in there, or made into the metal part of the key?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Looking at the "programming" info here at the shop, if the keys still starts the vehicle, the "fob" part can be replaced/repaired then program like in the vodeo. Only if the key doesnt start the vehicle, then a new key needs to be cut and programmed in the BCM. (or possibly try reprogramming the 'old" key.)

pm me if you need a key itself reprogrammed. I am in Gastonia/Christmastown USA area) I-85 south at exit 23/22
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent info. I pulled the middle section (with buttons/battery) out and left it in side. Took the key with the plastic shell attached and it cranked the car just fine. I think I should be able to just replace the internal piece, but sounds like I'll need to reprogram both fobs using the video instructions, as I think one video gave a warning that it would erase the memory and start over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top