Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 1:38:14 PM EDT
I'm applying for a job in Burlington and know next to nothing about the area except for it's between Greensboro and Raleigh. Is the area nice, gun friendly ect?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have family in Burlington and have spent quite a bit of time there.
It's a pretty decent area and is gun friendly as far as I know. It's the typical NC town, in that most everything is located off of a "main-drag", Church Street, in Burlington.
Most of my family is pro-gun, have their CCH, etc...and they've never complained of anything in that regard.
There is a nice gun-shop, Mace Sports, down the road in Mebane. It's a 22,000 sq/ft store with lots of stuff to look at. The last time I was there, their prices weren't anything special, but they weren't though the roof either.
If you have any specific questions let me know. If I don't have an answer, I can get it pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Burlington can get a little "rough" and it has it's share of scumbags, otherwise the previous reply is accurate. Working there is fine but you may want to explore living in Randolph county (one county south). It has lots of great places to live, is super 2A friendly with our current sheriff and still keeps you relatively centered for excursions to Greensboro, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, and even Charlotte to some extent.

For your firearms needs you have Mace Sports to the east which has a lot of selection, Gander Mountain to the west ('nuff said <grin>), and Carolina Guns and Gear to the south in Asheboro.

Otherwise welcome to the area. I moved here five years ago from the great white north and haven't looked back.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. The job would be with the county so a lot will depend on offered salary. I'm mainly concerned about the crime rates or rough areas since the girlfriend is in real estate and would be eventually transferring there to work. I honestly keep hoping something will pop up in Charlotte or Raleigh so I won't be going in blind.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a nice area as long as you stay rural.  You should have no problem finding a decent place within a short drive of Burlington.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Have lived my whole life in Burlington, minus time spent away for college and military service, and absolutely love it. Granted, it has become more populated and crime has gone up more as of recent years but that can be contributed to the rise of the population. Local sheriff is currently in a little  trouble but I've personally never had a problem with them. Would suggest a house in a more rural area, Graham and Mebane are very nice.

Gun store wise, like several have mentioned you have Mace in Mebane (very nice since their remodel but have gone up on prices some compared to past, but I still visit their), Handgunners in Haw River, and Gander Mountain is in Greensboro. Also have Acme in Haw River, which is a newer store (opened a little over a year ago) which is very nice but still relatively small. Selection is somewhat limited but they are constantly expanded and I've never had a problem with the sales people their. Also have plenty of pawn shops to visit on North Church St, which will occasionally benefit you if they don't know what they have; other than that overpriced junk.  

If the girlfriend likes shopping, Alamance Crossing will be her go to home along with the outlets in Mebane. Very nice area to grow up in.  Schools are good (Eastern Alamance alum here) but best would probably be Western or Southern
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of nice bedroom communities in the area.   I live in Alamance, Co and work in Raleigh it's an easy hour - great time to catch up on podcasts.  So even if you took this job and then got a better offer in Raleigh later it's a very doable commute.  

You may be interested in the Central Carolina Gun Club, a relatively new private range that is still open to new members - just North of Burlington.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have lived my whole life in Burlington, minus time spent away for college and military service, and absolutely love it. Granted, it has become more populated and crime has gone up more as of recent years but that can be contributed to the rise of the population. Local sheriff is currently in a little  trouble but I've personally never had a problem with them. Would suggest a house in a more rural area, Graham and Mebane are very nice.

Gun store wise, like several have mentioned you have Mace in Mebane (very nice since their remodel but have gone up on prices some compared to past, but I still visit their), Handgunners in Haw River, and Gander Mountain is in Greensboro. Also have Acme in Haw River, which is a newer store (opened a little over a year ago) which is very nice but still relatively small. Selection is somewhat limited but they are constantly expanded and I've never had a problem with the sales people their. Also have plenty of pawn shops to visit on North Church St, which will occasionally benefit you if they don't know what they have; other than that overpriced junk.  

If the girlfriend likes shopping, Alamance Crossing will be her go to home along with the outlets in Mebane. Very nice area to grow up in.  Schools are good (Eastern Alamance alum here) but best would probably be Western or Southern
View Quote

Thanks for the input! The gf has already mentioned how nice the shopping will be since we always pass through there on the way to Wilmington. As far as housing goes I'll honestly try to find a decent apartment off of interstate since this would be my first grown up job after college and the main objective is to just save money.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of nice bedroom communities in the area.   I live in Alamance, Co and work in Raleigh it's an easy hour - great time to catch up on podcasts.  So even if you took this job and then got a better offer in Raleigh later it's a very doable commute.  

You may be interested in the Central Carolina Gun Club, a relatively new private range that is still open to new members - just North of Burlington.
View Quote

It's good to hear that Raleigh is within actual decent driving distance since my long term goal is to land a job with the state. I've map quested it and it didn't seem like too bad of a drive, especially when that part of 40 might as well be Lowes Motor Speedway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top