Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 10:14:14 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy another GLOCK, what store does the .mil discount around Fort Bragg?

Also, will I be good with a copy of my orders or will I have to get a Purchase Permit?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you with were to buy but here's the answers to your other question.

Yes, you have to have a pistol purchase permit from the local sheriff.  NC Gun Laws

Here's a link to the purchase permit application for Cumberland County.  Application
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking to buy another GLOCK, what store does the .mil discount around Fort Bragg?

Also, will I be good with a copy of my orders or will I have to get a Purchase Permit?
View Quote

You will have to have the following:

1) a copy of your PCS orders (temporary or training orders are not good enough)
2) a state ID (TX drivers license is fine)
3) a pistol purchase permit OR a NC Concealed Weapons Permit (cannot be another state's CCP)
4) your Military ID
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

3) a pistol purchase permit OR a NC Concealed Weapons Permit (cannot be another state's CCP)

4) your Military ID
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

4) your Military ID

There's also military requirements. XVIII ABN Corps Reg 190-11-1, page 6 and 7 (Chapter 6). FB Form 1380-E, which is basically a post handgun purchase permit where the PMO does a records check so the Cumberland County (or whatever) Sheriff can do a records check.

You can get this either from the PMO or the Bragg E-library.

The FB Form 1380-E is weird. IF the PMO Records Branch finds derogatory information, the servicemember takes it to his CO, who them fills out part, makes a copy and puts it in the servicemember's file until ETS / PCS (?) and then gives the original to the servicemember to take to their county sheriff to apply for a PPP.

On the other hand, if the PMO Records Branch finds NO derogatory information, the servicemember takes it directly to their county sheriff.

So if there is some disqualifying derogatory information the military doesn't deny it, they let the sheriff do it.

The CCSO will ask for this if you attempt to get a pistol purchase permit on orders and an out-of-state DL.

But the FB Form 1380-E is a requirement for the servicemember. IF a servicemember has an NC DL and an NC CWP, the retailer isn't going to ask for a FB Form 1380-E.

And XVIII ABN Corps Reg 190-11-1 doesn't mention the CWP. It ass-u-mes that the servicemember has to have a PPP.

The

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There's also military requirements. XVIII ABN Corps Reg 190-11-1, page 6 and 7 (Chapter 6). FB Form 1380-E, which is basically a post handgun purchase permit where the PMO does a records check so the Cumberland County (or whatever) Sheriff can do a records check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4) your Military ID

Are you sure you're not confusing this with purchasing ON POST at the sports store?  Army can't say S#!& about soldiers off post.  And Cumberland is the only county that gives soldiers crap about pistol permits.  Harnett is Shall Issue (and they all SHOULD be).  Then there's the Air Force and Navy stationed at Bragg.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are you sure you're not confusing this with purchasing ON POST at the sports store?  Army can't say S#!& about soldiers off post.  And Cumberland is the only county that gives soldiers crap about pistol permits.  Harnett is Shall Issue (and they all SHOULD be).  Then there's the Air Force and Navy stationed at Bragg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

4) your Military ID

Read XVIII Airborne Corps Reg 190-11-1, which applies to all military personnel assigned to Fort Bragg (which includes Pope now) - Army, Navy, USMC, Air Force, and Coasties (and foreigners like the Canadian and German officers on Corps staff).  All military personnel assigned to any organization on Fort Bragg, including Pope.

Chapter 6.  Pages 6-7.

Service members must take a completed  FB Form 1380-E to the sheriff of the county they reside in  when applying for a PPP.

Onslow County SO likewise requires personnel on board Camp Lejuene to have the form Lejeune PMO issues.

This would be a lawful order situation for the military outside state law.  Sheriffs don't have to cooperate (but Moose does).  

But, again, XVIII Airborne Corps Reg 190-11-1 ignores the NC CWP.  If the service member has an NC CWP, they don't need a PPP and wouldn't  need a FB 1380-E to get a PPP, even though the intent of the reg appears to be to make the service member get one.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sure you're not confusing this with purchasing ON POST at the sports store?  Army can't say S#!& about soldiers off post.  And Cumberland is the only county that gives soldiers crap about pistol permits.  Harnett is Shall Issue (and they all SHOULD be).  Then there's the Air Force and Navy stationed at Bragg.

The Army (and all service) says "S#!&" about off-post behavior / activities all the time.

Off limits list, for example.  Lawful orders.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Read XVIII Airborne Corps Reg 190-11-1, which applies to all military personnel assigned to Fort Bragg (which includes Pope now) - Army, Navy, USMC, Air Force, and Coasties (and foreigners like the Canadian and German officers on Corps staff).  All military personnel assigned to any organization on Fort Bragg, including Pope.

Chapter 6.  Pages 6-7.

Service members must take a completed  FB Form 1380-E to the sheriff of the county they reside in  when applying for a PPP.

Onslow County SO likewise requires personnel on board Camp Lejuene to have the form Lejeune PMO issues.

This would be a lawful order situation for the military outside state law.  Sheriffs don't have to cooperate (but Moose does).  

But, again, XVIII Airborne Corps Reg 190-11-1 ignores the NC CWP.  If the service member has an NC CWP, they don't need a PPP and wouldn't  need a FB 1380-E to get a PPP, even though the intent of the reg appears to be to make the service member get one.
View Quote

The XVIII ABN Corps does not have jurisdiction over anybody not under the 18th.  Nor can their regulations supersede the constitution.  Ft. Wainwright required that off-duty personnel register their guns on post.  Fat chance that was going to ever happen. Buying guns on-post is a different story.  The reason that you could not on Bragg for so long was, quite literally, that the wife of a General said she didn't want guns sold on post...

On the CCP, I got mine 9 years ago, but I didn't have to have squat from my commander.  Only gun trouble I ever had was the county sheriff saying that he wasn't going to sign my Form 4 then a year later saying he would.

ETA: Harnett county still does not require anything form the Army: Harnett Pistol Permit Web Site

Cumberland county also requires you to violate federal law and photocopy the Military ID: Cumberland County HPP Application

DON'T DO THAT!!!! Only the police can photocopy your Military ID.  You cannot!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The XVIII ABN Corps does not have jurisdiction over anybody not under the 18th. Nor can their regulations supersede the constitution. Ft. Wainwright required that off-duty personnel register their guns on post. Fat chance that was going to ever happen. Buying guns on-post is a different story. The reason that you could not on Bragg for so long was, quite literally, that the wife of a General said she didn't want guns sold on post...

On the CCP, I got mine 9 years ago, but I didn't have to have squat from my commander. Only gun trouble I ever had was the county sheriff saying that he wasn't going to sign my Form 4 then a year later saying he would.

ETA: Harnett county still does not require anything form the Army: Harnett Pistol Permit Web Site

Cumberland county also requires you to violate federal law and photocopy the Military ID: Cumberland County HPP Application

DON'T DO THAT!!!! Only the police can photocopy your Military ID. You cannot!
View All Quotes

Quoted:

The XVIII ABN Corps does not have jurisdiction over anybody not under the 18th. Nor can their regulations supersede the constitution. Ft. Wainwright required that off-duty personnel register their guns on post. Fat chance that was going to ever happen. Buying guns on-post is a different story. The reason that you could not on Bragg for so long was, quite literally, that the wife of a General said she didn't want guns sold on post...

On the CCP, I got mine 9 years ago, but I didn't have to have squat from my commander. Only gun trouble I ever had was the county sheriff saying that he wasn't going to sign my Form 4 then a year later saying he would.

DON'T DO THAT!!!! Only the police can photocopy your Military ID. You cannot!

You understand that the XVIII Airborne Corps CG is the Fort Bragg CG, right?

You understand that post regulations have always been "XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg Regulations"?

From the regulations:

Applicability.

This regulation applies to all personnel, military or civilian entering or on the Fort Bragg reservation. For the purposes of this regulation, the Family housing located in Heritage Village in Hoke County is not considered to be on the reservation. However, Heritage Village residents must comply with applicable potiions of this regulation when carrying weapons onto the reservation or storing them on the reservation.

I will post the entire regulation as the Bragg PMO page has a dead link to the old regulation (FB 190-12) and the actual regulation - along with the info paper on privately owned weapons that led to it - requires Google-fu if you aren't on the Bragg intranet.

editied for spelling because my 'n' key is acting up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Again, notice applicability and proponent.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Blank page posted for fidelity

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#12]

The requirement for the FB 1380-E form is on this page.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#13]
This page cotinues the requirements for purchasing a handgun.  Notice that the NC CWP is not mentioned - obviously if the servicemember has one then they never need a PPP.

7.1d finally ackowledged NFA owership, though they call it a 'license'.  Under 190-12 NFA was a gray area.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#15]

We're always addressing 6 here in the NC HT Forum. And 7 is the call out on the FB 1380-E being required to get a pistol purchase permit.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#16]
And the FB 1380-E gets called out AGAIN (the PMO really doesn't want it missed).

And here's the actual FB 1380-E (with the wrog title for the appendix).

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Obviously the FB 1380-E requirement applies only to the military personnel assigned on Fort Bragg and not to the various county sheriffs.  

However, any military personnel who acquired a pistol purchase permit from sheriff of their county of residence without procuring a FB 1380-E (regardless of whether the sheriff asked for it) are in violation of the Post regulation.

Not saying it's 'right' - just laying out the regulation - which applies to ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL assigned to a Fort Bragg-based unit or physically on Fort Bragg.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
here is a 100 mile search from 28310  I would call first as various other boards say anywhere from a dozen to zero Blue Label dealers locally.

The last time I was stationed here, I lived in Cumberland county having to do the purchase permit and Fort Bragg form shenanigans.  This was all on top of the standard documents establishing residency.

This time I live in Harnett, got an NC license and then got an NC concealed carry permit.  No more hoops to jump through.  Unfortunately not good for my wallet as I've started browsing gun shops and impulse buying stuff.  My last buy was a lightly used FNS-9.  I didn't even want an FN, but the price was right, had the features I wanted, and it felt good in the hand.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I would like to say TLDR, but I have already read all of that.  NONE of it applies off-post no matter how much the Provost Marshal and commanders want it to.  The only reason it becomes an issue is if Cumberland County wants to enforce it prior to getting a pistol permit.  Please name for me a single military member who was prosecuted under any article of the UCMJ for purchasing a pistol off-post without the FB 1380-E?  Again, they can come up with whatever regulations they want, but the UCMJ does not remove rights granted by the constitution.

I had to go the Provost Marshal route ONCE when I bought a pistol on post.  I have NEVER had to register a firearm on Bragg and never will.  I chose to live in Harnett County specifically to avoid FayetteNam and the Cumberland County Gestapo.  You can, and the Army does, write whatever they feel like.  That does not make them lawful orders or orders that have to be followed, Lt. Calley.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I would like to say TLDR, but I have already read all of that. NONE of it applies off-post no matter how much the Provost Marshal and commanders want it to. The only reason it becomes an issue is if Cumberland County wants to enforce it prior to getting a pistol permit. Please name for me a single military member who was prosecuted under any article of the UCMJ for purchasing a pistol off-post without the FB 1380-E? Again, they can come up with whatever regulations they want, but the UCMJ does not remove rights granted by the constitution.

I had to go the Provost Marshal route ONCE when I bought a pistol on post. I have NEVER had to register a firearm on Bragg and never will. I chose to live in Harnett County specifically to avoid FayetteNam and the Cumberland County Gestapo. You can, and the Army does, write whatever they feel like. That does not make them lawful orders or orders that have to be followed, Lt. Calley.
View Quote

"Again, they can come up with whatever regulations they want, but the UCMJ does not remove rights granted by the constitution" - see Article 88 for an examle of a UCMJ article that imposes restrictions / removes a consitutional right (First Amendment)  Also see DoD Directive 1325.6 and DoD Dir. 1334.1.

And lawful military orders do often restrict consititutional rights, both on and off post.  Off limits list?  Freedom of association (First Amendment / 14th Amendment).  Tattoo checks? Fourth Amendment and Fith Amendment. Restrictions on joining gangs and racist organizations?  Freedom of association (First and 14th) and redress of grievences (First).  Campaign activities while in uniform?  First Amendment.

And I've repeatedly said this doesn't apply to the county sheriffs and they don't have to cooperate, but you've just blown that off - but it does apply to military personnel.

You're just demonstrating a severe case of "I do what I want", which is unbecoming of anyone in the military.

I get that you don't agree with it.  I don't agree with either the NFA or the GCA or the NC pistol purchase permit, doesn't change reality.  I don't shoot on Bragg any more because of the registration requirement.

And how does this 'remove' a right to a point, especially when you already have to get permission from both the county sheriff (unless you have a NC CWP, in which case the state said 'ok') and the Federal government to exercise that right?  Unfortunately the Second Amendment says nothing about buying a pistol.  It says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - and I think that restrictions on buyng infringe but the Supreme Court dosen't agree (yet).

"LT Calley"?  Snort.  Really.  I haven't ordered my troops to massacre Vietnamese civilians in years...  But I suppose you tell your bosses to screw off and you do what you want all day every day because they aren't the "the officers (and non-commissioned officers) appointed over me you, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me you God", right?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"LT Calley"?  Snort.  Really.  I haven't ordered my troops to massacre Vietnamese civilians in years...  But I suppose you tell your bosses to screw off and you do what you want all day every day because they aren't the "the officers (and non-commissioned officers) appointed over me you, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me you God", right?
View Quote

Yeah, so I'm going to ignore most of that because it is clear from what you said that you don't know who the F#@& I am. An order to massacre Vietnamese citizens or an order that violates the 2d amendment rights are FUNCTIONALLY IDENTICAL.  If it's illegal it's illegal.  Many aspects of the UCMJ are unenforceable.  For instance, Article 125.  Actually, I won't list them all as you will remain unconvinced.  I will just let you disagree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top