Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 1:14:34 PM EDT
So I have been trying to eject out of Maryland for some time.  I finally got the spousal unit
to start to approach the idea.  Her criteria for moving to a Conservative State was to live
in a More Liberal aka College town.  She has heard lots of great things about Asheville.
We want to be within 30 minute drive into downtown.

1 Anyone from here live there?
2 Looking at areas away from the city center (is asheville a city)? Fletcher, Swannanoa, Candler?
3 How are the schools in those areas?
4 Gun Laws reference to CCW, Class III, Shooting in the back yard if you have property.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for a liberal area in a conservative state... Asheville is your place, or maybe Chapel Hill.  Both will exhibit certain characteristics of where you are trying to escape.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in the Asheville area. I now live in the Triangle. Both area's are pretty liberal, with the edge going to Asheville and Chapel Hill.
I love the Black Mountain area and if I was to move back to the mountains I would look at Black Mountain.

Fletcher, Weaverville are nice and close to Asheville as is BM above...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks I don't want to move to a Liberal area, it is the deal with the devil, aka the wife who is
a Democrat (shudder every time I write that) I made to get out of Maryland.  Strange part is she is
a small business owner and is getting raked over the coals in taxes and she still loves the Democrats
here.  Trying to educate her but compromise is all I can hope for now.

As for why am I married to a liberal, well we met and fell in love long before our politics were solidified.
I have moved her from far left to just slightly left of center.  Of course she keeps me from falling far right
although the older I get the more Right I lean.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks I don't want to move to a Liberal area, it is the deal with the devil, aka the wife who is
a Democrat (shudder every time I write that) I made to get out of Maryland.  Strange part is she is
a small business owner and is getting raked over the coals in taxes and she still loves the Democrats

As for why am I married to a liberal, well we met and fell in love long before our politics were solidified.
I have moved her from far left to just slightly left of center.  Of course she keeps me from falling far right
View Quote

Dude, we must be married to the same woman, for the exact same reasons. We are opposites but after 15 years we are both closer to the middle on a lot of issues. She used to be a staunch liberal but now she's definately a Libertarian with a lot of conservative views. Me I am still a staunch Constitutionalist!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dude, we must be married to the same woman, for the exact same reasons. We are opposites but after 15 years we are both closer to the middle on a lot of issues. She used to be a staunch liberal but now she's definately a Libertarian with a lot of conservative views. Me I am still a staunch Constitutionalist!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife said if the Right would get rid of the Christian Conservatives and stay out of her womb she would be
a Republican.  I have always been Middle of the Road.  I am Fiscal Conservative and could care less on some
social issues.  She has moved to my side of the fence on Illegal Immigration and Fiscal Matters but still can't get
over being a second class citizen in the eyes of Hard Right Wingers.

Oh yeah 25 years together 18 years Married.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Go for the Fletcher/Mills River/Hendersonville Area. more conservative types, lower taxes in Henderson county than Buncombe county, West Henderson and Hendersonville High Schools are some of the best in the state on average most of the time.  homes are usually cheaper since your not as close to asheville but you're still basically in the greater Asheville area. Henderson county has an NFA friendly Sheriff.  Basically if you want to be in the Asheville area, but not deal with the Asheville weirdness ALL the time, Henderson county is where it's at.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
You definitely do not want to live inside the Asheville city limits as taxes are crazy high. Buncombe county isn't to bad, and the south Asheville area is probably the best place to be. One thing before you move here, you had better have a job lined up as should your wife. Asheville is a tourist town through and through so there are no jobs just to be had. when I moved here it took me a year to find a full time decent job. As far as shooting goes not really any good rifle ranges in the area, shooting on your property is fine if you have the space. Lots of really good food and beer. If you have any questions ask.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of good places around Asheville, I would also second staying out of the city as you would get hit with city and county taxes.

Mills river (north henderson county) is a nice area that has grown quite a bit in the last 5 years. That is where our highest ranking K-5th grade school is located. As far as schools go, just look for the higher income areas, they will have the better scoring schools.

Hendersonville has changed quite a bit in the last 10 to 15 years, not only are we getting larger, but moving somewhat away from the retirement town we have always been know as. Still a great place to raise a family and violent crime is relatively low. Like everywhere most of our crime seems to be driving by drugs.

As far as ranges go we have a few indoor ranges in the area, one small public outdoor range ( Bench or offhand), and a private club type range ( Bench or offhand only,). In hendersonville we have a great outdoor 3 gun match and Action pistol match, but unfortunately we are fighting to keep the range open. Will find something out at the end of the month.

Several good Arfcom members in the area, if you do move here shoot me a PM and come shoot with us.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll second the have a good paying job before you move part from the poster above.  This is an expensive town to live in/near.  Also, keep in mind that the housing market here is well into the upswing.  My better half is a Realtor and she has been super busy lately and mentioned that many listings are receiving multiple offers and they are going under contract for ABOVE asking.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know if you are particular stuck on Asheville, but look into Mebane, NC

Not too far from UNC or Duke (about 30 minutes) and about 45 from Greensboro which has several good gun shows a year. Also, if you live on the Alamance side and not the Orange county side, cheaper taxes and the sheriff department is really laid back (though currently under investigation for stopping more people of Hispanic descent than others lately)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top