Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 1:51:48 PM EDT
I want to sell an AR via face to face sale here in NC, and am curious how people go about selling a gun to someone they don't know. For instance does anyone only sell to those with a valid NC CHP? Do you just ask for a drivers license ect.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to sell an AR via face to face sale here in NC, and am curious how people go about selling a gun to someone they don't know. For instance does anyone only sell to those with a valid NC CHP? Do you just ask for a drivers license ect.
View Quote

I've never sold one FTF to someone I don't know, but I'd ask for DL so I could write a real simple Bill of Sale/receipt...just for a paper trail. CHP isn't necessary because purchase permits aren't required for long guns.

I'd actually have a signature line on there with a statement about "legal to purchase". You're not going to do a background check, but at least you can show that you asked as CYA.

But that's just me trying to protect myself.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The basic idea is that it is in your best interest, and may be your legal responsibility, to confirm that the buyer is indeed legally capable of owning a firearm. I always ask for a copy of their drivers license and a copy of their CHP or pistol permit (I only ask for the original for a pistol purchase). Taking a detailed picture of the info and printing it out probably would work, since you at least can confirm the original is being used. I have heard of people accepting a copy of a bill of sale from a recent purchase at a gun store instead of CHP, but I have my limits. If none of those options are available, I may barter going to get a NICS check done. But I do not sell to unknown people without confirmation.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the idea buying without a paper trail. But you could just as easily end up buying something stolen as you could to sell to someone with fake id. In my opinion if both parties don't know each other well wouldn't you be better off jetting at an ffl and having them do the transfer. Just a thought
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
If somebody required that I show them my CCW for a long gun, I would tell them to F#@$ off.  Drivers license?  Sure.  Now, if you are selling a stripped lower, you could justify asking for a pistol permit or CCW.

Me?  If they look old enough to drink and I don't get the sense that they might be prohibited, I'm okay selling to them even if I don't know them.  If they give me any reason to believe they are prohibited, such as, "I need this shotgun for my Brother when he's paroled" then, no, I don't sell to them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If somebody required that I show them my CCW for a long gun, I would tell them to F#@$ off.  Drivers license?  Sure.  Now, if you are selling a stripped lower, you could justify asking for a pistol permit or CCW.

Me?  If they look old enough to drink and I don't get the sense that they might be prohibited, I'm okay selling to them even if I don't know them.  If they give me any reason to believe they are prohibited, such as, "I need this shotgun for my Brother when he's paroled" then, no, I don't sell to them.
View Quote

My exact thought.  I wanted to buy a gun from a guy one time and he wanted a copy of my CCW and DL.  I told him to yuck off and pound sand.  Be reasonable IMO.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#6]
No problem with someone asking to  "see" a chp when I buy since that at least shows a somewhat recent background check but not crazy about providing a copy.

I ask to "see" either a CHP or PPP for the sale of a long gun but not a copy of either.

Just my preference.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]

I use one like this, never made copies of anything. I ask to see DL and CCW for handguns, just DL for long guns and receivers.

ETA: this is not the exact one, the one I use doesnt have the fdl stuff on there. This is one I found out of Texas based on Google
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want a "paper trail" buy from an FFL the paper work is built in.
You want to see my NCOL , fine it will show that I am over 18/21 and that I am a resident of this state. You should also look at my NC CHP OR purchase permit for a handgun.

If you want to start making copies of my information you are going to sign an agreement assuming risk for any damage done to me by your possession and storage of that information.
A copy of a drivers license has name, address, dob, and of course the license number. One stop shopping to start printing and passing bad checks and ruin someones credit, and tie them up in civil and criminal court for years.

I know you would never do such a thing, but that information can damage me in the future when that third cousin of yours pops by on his way home from his third rehab attempt and finds it lying around.
So if you want more than is required by law, you are going to agree to make me whole should you be negligent or careless with it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Different people have different comfort levels.  The main thing is to put all your requirements up front in any ad you post or any discussion you have with anyone about the sale.  If you feel better having a copy of their DL or see their CCW to protect yourself, fine...just put it in your ad so those who don't want a paper trail don't bother contacting you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mmm, if someone has a CHL or claims to, I would require they produce it. Same with military ID.

If you don't have it, fine. If you claim you have it, I want to verify. It makes me sleep better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mmm, if someone has a CHL or claims to, I would require they produce it. Same with military ID.

If you don't have it, fine. If you claim you have it, I want to verify. It makes me sleep better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand.  If they DO have a CCW, you want to see it?  Are we talking long gun?  No f#@&ing way.  Why would it make you sleep better?  There is no background check required in this state for private sales of long guns, therefore if they DIDN'T have the permit, nothing changes. And, no, you don't get to see my military ID either.  It does not establish residency and is good for absolute ZILCH without orders (that can be faked and you don't know what you're looking at anyhow).  

In fact, I want to know as little as possible because the more they tell me, the more I have to testify in court.  If asked, I can HONESTLY say, "All I saw was his ID and verified he was a resident and of the proper age."  That is IT.  Nothing else.  I don't ask what he/she's going to use it for.  I don't need fingerprints or proof.  You're opening yourself up to all kinds of trouble if you go above and beyond.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top