Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2014 5:24:44 PM EDT
Anything and Everything please.

Gun friendly? Shooting ranges? Liberal yuppies or down to earth country folk? Hunting and fishing.
Good place to live or better to avoid?

Thanks!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
My uncle and his wife live in a fancy, secluded development there. They consider themselves more as residents of Chapel Hill than Chatham county.
So closer to the Triangle there likely are some transplants/city folk type. It also has been going blue in elections recently. Otherwise, I don't know too much except it's rural!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sheriff is a liberal, good luck. And yes, the whole area is falling to the left.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Better off moving 12 mi south east
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It has been years since I have been there (2003)  but I worked there for a few years. Beautiful area.  The eastern part of the county was for the most part wealthy and much like chapel hill.  From about pittsboro west was much more rural and the people I knew there were more like us .  Very well could have changed in the last 10 years but if I was to move back it's still one of the areas I would consider moving to.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has been years since I have been there (2003)  but I worked there for a few years. Beautiful area.  The eastern part of the county was for the most part wealthy and much like chapel hill.  From about pittsboro west was much more rural and the people I knew there were more like us .  Very well could have changed in the last 10 years but if I was to move back it's still one of the areas I would consider moving to.
View Quote

Were you a medic there?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I was.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Siler City is mostly Hispanic 80-20
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was.
View Quote

I worked for First Health when it started in Chatham back in the mid-90s.  Did a couple years.  I was AJ's senior medic.  Bet we know the same peeps.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I worked for First Health when it started in Chatham back in the mid-90s.  Did a couple years.  I was AJ's senior medic.  Bet we know the same peeps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was.

I bet we do.  I worked ther for a few years first as an I then as a medic after I got out of the army.  2001-2003.  I really enjoyed my time up there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anything and Everything please.

Gun friendly? Shooting ranges? Liberal yuppies or down to earth country folk? Hunting and fishing.
Good place to live or better to avoid?

Thanks!!!!!!!
View Quote

Pittsboro is a neat town, but yes, lots of hippies, liberals and so forth.  

Consider Chatham in 4 quadrants.  The northeast is essentially rural Chapel Hill and Cary.  The North West is Chapel Hill bleed over.  Still a bit liberal/leftie, but getting back to rural and not so much a problem.

I live in the southwest quarter where it's good ol' country folk for the most part.  No gun ranges, other than the ones in your own back yard.  I currently only have about 100 feet to shoot, but have plans to clear a 150 yard or so range line this summer.  Land is getting expensive too as people move down from Chapel Hill and out from the Triangle.  

When I bought out here, I got 10 acres of $26K.  Today, I could sell my lot and house for about $200K (about twice what I have into it counting the house and sheds.

You can still find decently priced land, and the taxes are not unreasonable, though they are going up due to all the yankees and leftists moving in.  There are some stupid planned communities that people like to flock to, but the county is something lie 700+ square miles in size and there is a LOT of rural, undeveloped and unplanned land out there if you can find it.  

It's also a great location.  Where I am is 10 miles to Pittsboro, 12 miles to Siler City and 10 miles to Sanford.  I'm 1 hour to north durham, 40 minutes to central chapel hill, 30 minutes to Apex, 1 hour to down town Raleigh.  I'm 3 hours from the beach (Sunset, Oak Island), 3.5 hours to Myrtle.  2.5 hours to Charlotte, 3 hours to the mountains, a shade over 1 hour to Greensboro and call it 1.5 to Winston Salem.

Despite the complaints about liberals, it's really not a bad place to live, and one of the better places go buy in the general Triangle area, IMO.  There are also some ranges within an hour or so of central Chatham, and probably a couple in Chatham itself, though I don't know much about them as I only shoot in my back yard.

The Sheriff IS a liberal, so don't count on NFA (go with a trust) but they're pretty quick on turnaround for CCW and I know a few deputies and they're pretty good guys and aren't as left leaning as their boss.

Pittsboro PD is a different story... they're ok, but typical small town PD where a simple speeding stop can end up with 4 or more patrol cars because they're bored, but in general every cop I've met, either personally or because I was maybe going a touch too fast, or just driving through a DUI/License check has been pretty chill, very professional, and friendly.

Anecdote about shooting:  

When I first moved out here, I decided to do some target shooting one sunday so I called the Sheriff's Dept and talked to a LT.  I asked if there was going to be any issue if I go out on sundays and do some target shooting and his reply was "Nah, no one really cares what you do out there as long as you aren't shooting up someone's house.  Have fun."  

That may not go over as well in the northern part of the county, though.  Currently there's a "Cat Refuge" run by an artist (Nice enough lady) who is trying like hell to stop her neighbors from building a private range on their land and using all the complaints: Noise, scaring the poor cats, bullets whizzing through the air in all directions, lead poisoning in the ground water, etc...

If you're looking at particular areas, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what I can.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

We are moving for sure very soon.

From what I gather here, it seems like Lee and Moore counties are decent places to live.

I am looking for a nice rural piece of land ( no developments ) in the 3 to 10 acre range.

If anyone has anything more to add, knows of some decent land for sale etc……. please post up. Any help advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#12]
There are several lots just a couple miles down the road from me:

Land for sale

Those are all part of the same lot of 100+ acres.  So the 100 acre listing is for the whole thing, or the smaller parcels are available.  That's not too far off what land seems to be going for where I am.

No way I could buy 10 acres here now for what I paid for it 12 years ago... I should have bought more back then :(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top