Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2014 1:48:16 AM EDT
couldn't help but pass this on (courtesy of "old remus & the woodpile report") about the USS North Carolina, which is now on my "Must See" list for this summer's vacation trip:

The USS North Carolina, BB-55, was so drop-dead gorgeous she was nicknamed The Showboat, and was commissioned in April of 1941 and served with distinction in every major Pacific Theater action.

During the Battle of the Eastern Solomons her volume of fire was so heavy the carrier Enterprise asked if she were on fire.

She was hit with a torpedo off Guadalcanal, punching a thirty-two foot hole in her hull below the waterline, but was fully back in action in less than six minutes.

WOW!

The North Carolina was decommissioned in 1947 and is on display at Wilmington, North Carolina. The name is now carried by the nuclear attack submarine USS North Carolina, SSN-777, commissioned in 2008. A worthy successor, but no one calls her The Showboat.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I've spent many an hour walking those decks and ducking my head below deck. Lots of great childhood memories, and have since been able to take my own son.

If you time it just right, the 4th of July fireworks show they have is spectacular.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#2]
15 Battle Stars

Damn macbook...

Sleeping Giant
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've spent many an hour walking those decks and ducking my head below deck. Lots of great childhood memories, and have since been able to take my own son.
View Quote

This. She's a big ole hunk of awesome. One can only imagine walking in those 16" turrets just how damn loud that shit was
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
and looking good in her camo

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#5]
That is a very cool ship. It is awesome to see how they did it "back in the day". Be sure to give yourself plenty of time, you will need it.  Those men were men. Tough and took no shit. God Bless them!!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I always liked going on her when the kids were younger
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will say with my experience with younger ones, there's definitely a time limit issue. They do think it's cool to see some of it, but the 4-9 (or so) year olds don't enjoy all the time below deck while you're trying to read all the little placards explaining what everything is for. They just want to see the guns!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been to the North Carolina a few times and it is always awesome. I would only advise not to go in Summer, that ship gets damn hot and humid.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a great tour.

Great ship, it would of been awesome to be underway with her.

Max
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

couldn't help but pass this on (courtesy of "old remus & the woodpile report") about the USS North Carolina, which is now on my "Must See" list for this summer's vacation trip:

The USS North Carolina, BB-55, was so drop-dead gorgeous she was nicknamed The Showboat, and was commissioned in April of 1941 and served with distinction in every major Pacific Theater action.

During the Battle of the Eastern Solomons her volume of fire was so heavy the carrier Enterprise asked if she were on fire.

She was hit with a torpedo off Guadalcanal, punching a thirty-two foot hole in her hull below the waterline, but was fully back in action in less than six minutes.

WOW!

The North Carolina was decommissioned in 1947 and is on display at Wilmington, North Carolina. The name is now carried by the nuclear attack submarine USS North Carolina, SSN-777, commissioned in 2008. A worthy successor, but no one calls her The Showboat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/USS_North_Carolina_port_bow%2C_9_Oct_1988.jpg

View Quote
Don't wait too long. When it gets into the summer heat you will regret it.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Been a few times and I always strain my neck looking at her when flying into Wilmington.

CD
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I love that ship. My wife and I have been on it almost every beach trip.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I love that ship. My wife and I have been on it almost every beach trip.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I will say with my experience with younger ones, there's definitely a time limit issue. They do think it's cool to see some of it, but the 4-9 (or so) year olds don't enjoy all the time below deck while you're trying to read all the little placards explaining what everything is for. They just want to see the guns!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a former younger one who had his 5th birthday party in the wardroom, I can attest to this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Those men were men. Tough and took no shit. God Bless them!!!!
View Quote

Yessir! Those of the "Greatest Generation," (my Pa included) had backbones of steel and were ready, willing, and able to back-up with their fists whatever they stood for.

HONOR, INTEGRITY, PATRIOTISM, DECENCY, MANHOOD.

Sad to say, we are sorely missing this in today's decadent pop culture.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I love that boat.  I have been making an effort to make it to all of the 'memorial' ships, have done maybe 1/2.  I have always been partial to the NC.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:18:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yessir! Those of the "Greatest Generation," (my Pa included) had backbones of steel and were ready, willing, and able to back-up with their fists whatever they stood for.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Those men were men. Tough and took no shit. God Bless them!!!!

Unfortunately the "greatest generation" is the reason we have todays pop culture. They raised and coddled the hippy generation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top