Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked NFA in NC. (Page 4 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What about moving into the state with NFA items that were purchased through a trust.
My wife is finally coming around to moving out of Marylandistan.  Although anti gun
they have been Class III accepting.  All my items.  Suppressors and a new Form 1 SBR
in the works are on a trust.  I know you are not lawyers just looking for layman's interpretations.

Thanks
f_m
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Fill out the 5320.20 for a permanent move and come on down.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there any companies near RTP that folks are using to engrave lower receivers? The only company, CADD, that I found folks were using appears to have moved out of town.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone get anything from NC Silencer lately?  I have a suppressor in jail with them.... just went over a year waiting....    I got to shoot my can earlier this year at the suppressor shoot they went to and can't wait to get it..

WP
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wparkinson:
Anyone get anything from NC Silencer lately?  I have a suppressor in jail with them.... just went over a year waiting....    I got to shoot my can earlier this year at the suppressor shoot they went to and can't wait to get it..

WP
View Quote

Not sure what qualifies as "lately"...but I got two approved on 7/10 from them on paper forms and one 6/17 from EForms.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

Not sure what qualifies as "lately"...but I got two approved on 7/10 from them on paper forms and one 6/17 from EForms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

WP

How long was it on the paper one? I bought my can around the 14th of last year...  the wait is killing me...  man...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#7]

How long was it on the paper one? I bought my can around the 14th of last year...  the wait is killing me...  man...
View All Quotes

Two cans bought 8/30/13 & 9/13/13. F4s are dated 9/13 & 9/15 (one came in on an F3). Not sure when checks were cashed but they both had 11/27 Pending dates. They both ended up with two error letters, and were approved 7/10/14. I think the first error letters were received 6/18, so that's when the approval probably would've been if not for the errors.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Two cans bought 8/30/13 & 9/13/13. F4s are dated 9/13 & 9/15 (one came in on an F3). Not sure when checks were cashed but they both had 11/27 Pending dates. They both ended up with two error letters, and were approved 7/10/14. I think the first error letters were received 6/18, so that's when the approval probably would've been if not for the errors.

View All Quotes

Cool.... thanks for the info.  This waiting sucks...

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Was NC's Machine Gun Permit system repealed in the last few years?  I thought I had read that it had been but in another thread an poster mentioned that it was still required.  I believe that other poster to be incorrect but I can't find anything on the web that' clearly indicates that the "machine gun permit" for trusts and individuals was indeed repealed.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking to purchase a couple silencers here in NC. I live close to the Concord area. Any recommendations on in state dealers, good, bad or other experiences had. Looking
for good customer service and a dealer that has silencers in stock. I know they can be shipped so I guess distance away from me in the state is not a concern.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:13:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#11]
Originally Posted By AR1NC:
Looking to purchase a couple silencers here in NC. I live close to the Concord area. Any recommendations on in state dealers, good, bad or other experiences had. Looking for good customer service and a dealer that has silencers in stock. I know they can be shipped so I guess distance away from me in the state is not a concern.
View Quote

Tar Heel State Firearms. Feel free to tell him I sent you.

Scott will take care of you, no question about it. He's in Matthews. Just because it's not shown on his website doesn't mean he can't get it, either. For instance, I wanted a certain can this week, from a brand he doesn't stock. Called him Wed morning and gave him the details, and the best price I'd found online. Within 2 hours, he basically matched the online price plus what I would've had to pay for a transfer (including sales tax), and sent me a copy of the F3 that had been filed from the distributor. He dropped the F4 for that can, and the one he had in stock I wanted, in the mail that afternoon. Check out his reviews here.

Eagle in Concord has some stuff, but not a wide variety. I think Shooters in Belmont and Point Blank in Mooresville may stick some, but I've never gone looking. I absolutely refuse to even walk in the door of The Range At Lake Norman on principle, but they carry a couple.

I bought my first couple from NC Silencer. They're in Durham, and mailed me my cans. I also have three from Silencer Shop sitting at Carolina Guns & Gear in Asheboro, but I've never been there to meet anybody.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Was NC's Machine Gun Permit system repealed in the last few years?  I thought I had read that it had been but in another thread an poster mentioned that it was still required.  I believe that other poster to be incorrect but I can't find anything on the web that' clearly indicates that the "machine gun permit" for trusts and individuals was indeed repealed.

Thanks
Wes
View Quote

Any one?

Wes
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Any one?

Wes
View All Quotes

Thanks
Wes

Any one?

Wes

I've read that HB650, which went into effect 12/1/2011 handled that. However, I've never read it thoroughly to see if that's true. You're welcome to give it a shot.  A lot of the problem is the bill simply states what's changed, and references other statues. Would take a good bit of digging to follow all the statutes back to their original wording.

You may also find this thread of value.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a transfer for an M-16 last year and it was approved in December.  The reason used was Collection and Investment or something like that.  No scientific research listed.  BATF did not require a machinegun permit.  HB 650 eliminated the requirement for the permit in the law.  MANY THANKS to Jeff Lawrence and NCNFA Defense.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:19:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR1NC] [#15]
BigWaylon, thank you for the information. It looks like Tar Heel State has a good amount of silencers in stock at excellent prices compared to other places I have looked.
Looks like they would be the place to go then buying a silencer in North Carolina from the sound of your experience with them.

Any particular brand of suppressor that you believe is better than another or recommendations for a .30 cal and .45 cal suppressor?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:06:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#16]
Any particular brand of suppressor that you believe is better than another or recommendations for a .30 cal and .45 cal suppressor?
View Quote

That's a big ol' can of worms to open. There are many quality cans on the market by a variety if manufacturers. So much so that performance is fairly far down the list of things to consider. Size, weight, user-serviceability, price (for the can and the accessories), mounting system and probably other items need to be considered.

For instance, AAC makes several nice cans...but one of those "other items" is the fact they're part of a Freedom Grouo, which means some people wouldn't even consider buying one.

I really like the Silencerco line of products, for several reasons. So much so that 7 of my 9 cans (some in hand, some in jail) are SiCo. I can swap pistons between the Octanes and Osprey. The Octanes have the option for a true fixed mount instead of using a fixed barrel spacer. The Octanes/Spectres/Warlock are all of a CTA design, so most of the crud is kept off the tube walls.

My other two cans are YHM .30 cans. I have the LT already, and a ULT pending. SiCo offered a Y-Mount for the Saker, so I added one of those...and will be able to swap three cans across multiple hosts without changing any muzzle devices.

You probably should just spend some time reading in the Suppressor forum, and also feel free to call Scott for a chat.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#17]

That's a big ol' can of worms to open. There are many quality cans on the market by a variety if manufacturers. So much so that performance is fairly far down the list of things to consider. Size, weight, user-serviceability, price (for the can and the accessories), mounting system and probably other items need to be considered.

For instance, AAC makes several nice cans...but one of those "other items" is the fact they're part of a Freedom Grouo, which means some people wouldn't even consider buying one.

I really like the Silencerco line of products, for several reasons. So much so that 7 of my 9 cans (some in hand, some in jail) are SiCo. I can swap pistons between the Octanes and Osprey. The Octanes have the option for a true fixed mount instead of using a fixed barrel spacer. The Octanes/Spectres/Warlock are all of a CTA design, so most of the crud is kept off the tube walls.

My other two cans are YHM .30 cans. I have the LT already, and a ULT pending. SiCo offered a Y-Mount for the Saker, so I added one of those...and will be able to swap three cans across multiple hosts without changing any muzzle devices.

You probably should just spend some time reading in the Suppressor forum, and also feel free to call Scott for a chat.
View All Quotes

After some research, I believe the Silencerco Saker 762 and the Silencerco Octane 45 would fit my needs well. Most likely will get the Silencerco Spectre 2 as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#18]
After some research, I believe the Silencerco Saker 762 and the Silencerco Octane 45 would fit my needs well. Most likely will get the Silencerco Spectre 2 as well.
View Quote

Wouldn't try to talk you out of any if those at all.

In addition to the two cans I bought from Scott last week, I bought four more today. I need to stop.

As info for anybody reading, just had a dealer fairly local to Charlotte sign up for the Silencer Shop Direct program today. He can also order pretty much anything you might want. The closest to 28269 when I needed one was 75 miles away in Asheboro. Guy's name is Jeremy Kupper and he's in Lincolnton. He's a part time guy that handles it from home, but he's a quality guy from Carolina Shooters Club.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#19]
In addition to the two cans I bought from Scott last week, I bought four more today. I need to stop.
View Quote

... but you won't.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad to hear that those were good choices. I spoke to Tar Heel State about those 3 suppressors,  you were right, they do have good customer service.
Purchased them today, emailed them my trust, got my serial numbers and they said the form 4's would go out in the mail tomorrow.  Seemed to
be a pretty seamless and easy process. After my experience I could recommend them as well to anyone looking to purchase a silencer in NC.
I just hope I can handle the wait before my approvals come back. They had said to expect between 5 and 7 months of waiting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Tar Heel State Firearms. Feel free to tell him I sent you.

Scott will take care of you, no question about it. He's in Matthews. Just because it's not shown on his website doesn't mean he can't get it, either. For instance, I wanted a certain can this week, from a brand he doesn't stock. Called him Wed morning and gave him the details, and the best price I'd found online. Within 2 hours, he basically matched the online price plus what I would've had to pay for a transfer (including sales tax), and sent me a copy of the F3 that had been filed from the distributor. He dropped the F4 for that can, and the one he had in stock I wanted, in the mail that afternoon. Check out his reviews here.
View Quote

Scott at Tar Heel State is 100% good to go and awesome to work with. I have gone through him with several cans and he has been awesome. Carolina Guns & Gear recently opened up another store up here near Asheville and they are a pretty nice operation, Sal I believe is the manager over both stores and he's good to go. I will still use Tar Heel State for all NFA items from here on out though, he's gone above and beyond for us so I send him all the business I can.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm looking for some recommendations for good attorney's in the triangle area to use for drawing up an NFA trust?  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post in the thread.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I am looking for someone to do NFA engraving on my lower near the Charlotte region, preferably the Lake Norman area. Anyone have a good recommendation?

I just filed my Eform 1 yesterday, so I probably have a little time. Not too much time I hope though, with the way Eform waits are looking
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jafrush:
I am looking for someone to do NFA engraving on my lower near the Charlotte region, preferably the Lake Norman area. Anyone have a good recommendation?

I just filed my Eform 1 yesterday, so I probably have a little time. Not too much time I hope though, with the way Eform waits are looking
View Quote

For the Charlotte area, all I can give you is two places not to go. Things Remembered at Northlake, and Cardinal Awards (who supposedly does a lot if work for Hyatt's) just outside of downtown on S Tryon.

I'd recommend sending it to member CS223 here on the forums. He's in Florida but does a great job with a quick turnaround. He's done several for me, and has my PS90 receiver right now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#25]

For the Charlotte area, all I can give you is two places not to go. Things Remembered at Northlake, and Cardinal Awards (who supposedly does a lot if work for Hyatt's) just outside of downtown on S Tryon.

I'd recommend sending it to member CS223 here on the forums. He's in Florida but does a great job with a quick turnaround. He's done several for me, and has my PS90 receiver right now.

View All Quotes

Thanks, I sent him a PM.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I found someone locally who is going to do the engraving; I got his name from my local range. Its a little more expensive, but not much more after you include shipping, and it'll be a same day turn around.

Thanks for the help though!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like Mecklenburg co. Will be class 3 friendly going forward with Carmichael...thought I would share.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Anybody know of a good gun trust lawyer in the Charlotte concord area?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By boss450:
Anybody know of a good gun trust lawyer in the Charlotte concord area?
View Quote

dont know of any lawyers, but since ur in NC and need a trust? id email scott at tarheel state firearms and he will email u a free one. very nice guy and more than willing to help u along the way. all u have to do is fill out with pen and get notorized!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Any good engravers in the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area?  I'd prefer to get it done locally since I just don't want to hassle with shipping.  I know CS223 does good work and he's my backup but local would be preferred.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Sooo.... now that I have my trust notarized, does it have to be filed with the register of deeds or anything?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Supracerxtreme:
Sooo.... now that I have my trust notarized, does it have to be filed with the register of deeds or anything?
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I read through the thread but it's bit confusing. Can anyone list out in detail how to make an NFA trust, include links to resources (on line? Lawyers?) and what to do with it all in one post? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone know the status of NC NFA Shall Certify? Or if it is even on the table?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By column5:
Does anyone know the status of NC NFA Shall Certify? Or if it is even on the table?
View Quote

Headed to the governor for his likely signature.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Some sheriffs are still refusing to sign. I've got emails out to the Governors office and would encourage others (Cough...Chatham..cough) residents to do the same

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
The Mrs is typing up our trust using a template. How are yall naming your trusts? "Last name " gun trust, "last name" trust etc. Don't want something too long as it will need to fit on the lower.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 81k5guy:
The Mrs is typing up our trust using a template. How are yall naming your trusts? "Last name " gun trust, "last name" trust etc. Don't want something too long as it will need to fit on the lower.
View Quote

you can name it whatever you want, but professional is usually preferred. I had my trust made by someone else who named it "First name Last name Revocable Living Trust" so yeah, mine is pretty long but I haven't gotten around to amending the trust to change the name. When I do it'll probably just be "Last name Trust"
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the replies guys. Been wanting to do this for a while and I am finally at a place where I can afford and justify doing so. Local gun shop in Vass just started selling supressors so it will make the process a little easier for me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the replies guys. Been wanting to do this for a while and I am finally at a place where I can afford and justify doing so. Local gun shop in Vass just started selling supressors so it will make the process a little easier for me.
View Quote

So is buying from Scott at Tarheel State Firearms.  He will even ship them to your door.  I've never bought from a local shop because of extreme high prices.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By doubleshot00:
So is buying from Scott at Tarheel State Firearms.  He will even ship them to your door.  I've never bought from a local shop because of extreme high prices.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doubleshot00:

Yup, +1. I've got my first "real" (non-F1) suppressor in their jail right now.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Is getting a machine gun the same process as a silencer in NC?
Buy machine gun
F3 to dealer
F4 (on a trust) to me?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Yes, depending on who you buy it from. It's is from a dealer, yes. If it's from an individual/trust/corp in-state, it's just a Form 4 between the two sides, no dealer involved. If it's from an individual/trust/corp out of state, it's a Form 4 from them to your dealer, then a Form 4 to you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gerkyn:
Is getting a machine gun the same process as a silencer in NC?
Buy machine gun
F3 to dealer
F4 (on a trust) to me?

Yes, depending on who you buy it from. It's is from a dealer, yes. If it's from an individual/trust/corp in-state, it's just a Form 4 between the two sides, no dealer involved. If it's from an individual/trust/corp out of state, it's a Form 4 from them to your dealer, then a Form 4 to you.

So if I purchased from an out of state individual/trust/corp I would have to wait on two F4s? That would be a crazy(er) wait time!
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:42:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#49]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Yep...it's not as big of a deal with a MG, but the double-wait and double-stamp ($400 total) is the reason there's not much of a market for used suppressors/SBRs/etc, unless you can find them in-state.

With the price of an MG, especially depending on which one, $400 isn't a huge factor. And anybody willing to get in that game has to understand the wait. That being said, a lot of times the wait on an F4 transfer to a dealer runs similar to an F3...almost always quicker than an F4 going to an individual/trust/corp.

ETA: meant to mention it in the first response...but there used to be "machine gun permits" in NC, but I believe they went away in 2013, as long as you don't put a specific reason (I think "scientific research") on the F4.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gerkyn:
So if I purchased from an out of state individual/trust/corp I would have to wait on two F4s? That would be a crazy(er) wait time!

Yep...it's not as big of a deal with a MG, but the double-wait and double-stamp ($400 total) is the reason there's not much of a market for used suppressors/SBRs/etc, unless you can find them in-state.

With the price of an MG, especially depending on which one, $400 isn't a huge factor. And anybody willing to get in that game has to understand the wait. That being said, a lot of times the wait on an F4 transfer to a dealer runs similar to an F3...almost always quicker than an F4 going to an individual/trust/corp.

ETA: meant to mention it in the first response...but there used to be "machine gun permits" in NC, but I believe they went away in 2013, as long as you don't put a specific reason (I think "scientific research") on the F4.

Does the ATF charge for an F3? I probably wouldn't be willing to trust an individual with this type of purchase as much as I would a reputable dealer, even if I end up paying more at a dealer.

The machine gun permit thing was throwing me off as I had never heard of such a thing. But my research on actually getting a MG is just getting warmed up.

So is "all lawful purposes" still a valid reason for a MG on the F4?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 5
Tacked NFA in NC. (Page 4 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top