Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked NFA in NC. (Page 3 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
My M10/45 was approved on 2/14/2013.  I had a MG permit from my sheriff though, so I can't offer any fresh input on the process of getting a MG in NC without a permit from the sheriff.  By the time I can afford another I'll probably be living in Missouri though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I am very impressed.

5320.20 for MG for permanent change of address
mailed the 5th
Signed the 11th
Back on the 19th
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
I am very impressed.

mailed the 5th
Signed the 11th
Back on the 19th
So this was without any reference to the MG permit thing here in NC that is gone according to the letter by Dana Pickles?

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KVegasAK:
I am very impressed.

mailed the 5th
Signed the 11th
Back on the 19th
So this was without any reference to the MG permit thing here in NC that is gone according to the letter by Dana Pickles?

I hope so, that is the impression I got.  That would be fantastic news for NC folks in less than friendly NFA counties.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KVegasAK:
I am very impressed.

mailed the 5th
Signed the 11th
Back on the 19th

Correct.

NC is one state I may become a permanent resident of.
I wanted to make sure I was good to go.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#6]
im about to submit my SBR paperwork and need to make sure that i have my ducks in a row.  i am from onslow county and had my sherriff sign two copies of my form 1, and i used examples to help fill it out and i think that i am good there.  i am looking for somewhere to do my engraving and need to have it done in the next few weeks if possible.  i have my two pictures and i am going to get fingerprinted tomorrow (how many copies do i need) and then will send the package off.  I have heard to either send it to WV or GA and was wondering which was best?  any further help is greatly appreciated and if i missed something please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:29:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaylorWSO] [#7]
read in the armory/class 3 forum, need 2x copies of fingerprints, (get more since you will want another)

The NFA Branch’s address in Martinsburg, W.Va. for all correspondence EXCEPT Form 4's is:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

National Firearms Act Branch

244 Needy Road

Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405

I suggest you read the faq there

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:00:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jrit] [#8]
I m visiting my cabin in the foot hills soon and sent off my 5320.20 form on a Thompson MG. Mailed 3/2,,received 3/5,,approved 3/11.  I used ,,all lawful purposes,, for the temp relocation with no local permit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I've read all 5 pages but still a bit unclear on one point:

If my CLEO will not sign (form 1 for SBR), is it legal to circumvent the state system by using a trust?

I know I can go the trust route but its been brought up that certain items may be legal in Federal law but illegal at a state law (example: 30 rnd mags in NY, MASS, etc.).
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Armatus:

If my CLEO will not sign (form 1 for SBR), is it legal to circumvent the state system by using a trust?

I know I can go the trust route but its been brought up that certain items may be legal in Federal law but illegal at a state law (example: 30 rnd mags in NY, MASS, etc.).
View Quote
Depends on the State you are in.  Here in NC you can put any NFA items on a Trust.  And there are no mag restrictions or anything else like that here in NC.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Armatus:

View Quote
Depends on the State you are in.  Here in NC you can put any NFA item on a Trust.  And there are no mag restrictions or anything else like that here in NC.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Double post,  woops.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]
What lawyer would you guys recommend for a firearms trust in NC?

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I would like to start building an SBR soon. While it may take a while, since it's a long term project, I can get the lower set up and build from there. I currently live in Wake County, which means not sheriff signature. Setting up a trust will take longer and costs more. It's something I would do later when funds are more stable and I want to put all my guns in a trust for the future. I know it is a long shot, but does anybody know if the Cary PD chief will sign? I doubt they have even seen an attempt, since most people only think of sheriff signatures. Please PM me with any responses, as a public statement rarely helps the situation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 8:21:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DNF2005] [#15]
tag
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By kmc123:
What lawyer would you guys recommend for a firearms trust in NC?

View Quote

Another member on here recommended John M. Friguglietti, Jr. who is in the Lake Norman area. No experience with him personally but I plan on calling him asap

http://gunrightsattorneys.com/john-m-friguglietti-jr-p-a-north-carolina-permit-denial-attorney-north-carolina-firearms-lawyer-north-carolina-criminal-defense-attorney-north-carolina-civil-litigation-attorney/
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Friguglietti  he is good to go
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#18]
What's the process to add a 2nd silencer to an existing trust?

I think it's:
-new form 4
-add new can info to trust
-make copy of trust, send copy & form 4 & check

is that it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone able to PM me their experience getting the Chatham County Sheriff to sign for an NFA item?
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Range_Officer:
Anyone able to PM me their experience getting the Chatham County Sheriff to sign for an NFA item?
View Quote

No PM, that info should be public.,

I don't have an answer for you as I'm now working on a trust to register an SBR lower and start shopping for a can.

Anyway, A good friend of mine is a deputy with the Sheriff's Office and a gun guy (He has a part time job teaching and working with a new gun dealer in Chatham).  The word I got from inside the department is that the sheriff does NOT sign off on anything.  I cant vouch for the accuracy of the story, but the story goes that someone tried registering something a while back and Roy Cooper told the Sheriff that the Sheriff could be personally responsible if he signed off on an NFA item and that item was ever used in a crime :/ utter bullshit, but that's the back story I was told.

Your best bet is to go the trust route, which doesn't need the Sheriff's sign off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Doesn't need it YET
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Can I please get a PM on whether or not Harnett County will sign off on NFA item's?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Thinking of going the SBR route. Does anyone know if the sherrif of Forsyth County will sign?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RebelAR-15:
Thinking of going the SBR route. Does anyone know if the sherrif of Forsyth County will sign?
View Quote

pm sent
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BlackOps_1:

pm sent
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

pm sent

Will he sign for a can?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey guys. So I'm finally graduating from WCU and was wanting to celebrate by building a MK18 clone. Does anyone have any leads on a good attorney to use in the western/foothills area to set up a trust? Or possibly any good lawyers that I could set up one online with? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

Will he sign for a can?
View All Quotes

pm sent

Will he sign for a can?

Schatzman won't sign for anything, last time I checked.  I doubt he's changed his stance, even in light of recent legislation.  

I hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By golfroot:

Schatzman won't sign for anything, last time I checked.  I doubt he's changed his stance, even in light of recent legislation.  

I hope I'm wrong.
View All Quotes

pm sent

Will he sign for a can?

I hope I'm wrong.

What an asshole.

Can someone pm the name of who I can get to sign for a can in Forsyth Co?
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#29]

What an asshole.

View All Quotes

pm sent

Will he sign for a can?

I hope I'm wrong.

What an asshole.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Anyone?
View Quote

I'm still an asshole and Schatzman still won't sign off.

Go the Trust route.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Go the Trust route.
View All Quotes

Anyone?

Go the Trust route.

Schatzman is the only one who can sign for suppressors?

Fuck that dick.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Since I bought a single NFA gun 20 years ago and did an approval for a state move with it,
a buddy considers me an expert.

That is not the case.

He wants to know if I have ever bought from Silencer Shop (nope, I have not)
and who a good SOT/Class 3 guy near Fort Bragg that is currently doing transfers is and how much.  (I have no idea, never even bought  a gun there)

Anyone here that can provide the information?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Since I bought a single NFA gun 20 years ago and did an approval for a state move with it,
a buddy considers me an expert.

That is not the case.

He wants to know if I have ever bought from Silencer Shop (nope, I have not)
and who a good SOT/Class 3 guy near Fort Bragg that is currently doing transfers is and how much.  (I have no idea, never even bought  a gun there)

Anyone here that can provide the information?

Thank you.
View Quote

I bought a can from Silencer Shop. Very easy transaction. I had it transferred to NC Silencer. Then, I bought my next one directly from NC Silencer. Hank and Eric are extremely helpful. You don't have to live near them, everything can be handled over the phone, online and through the mail.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Landric:

Any CLEO that has jurisdiction where you live can sign.  That means the sheriff of your county, the DA of your judicial district, a judge in your judicial district, or a chief of police of a city or town where you live.  If you live outside the PDs jurisdiction (1+ mile outside the city limits) then the chief of the PD cannot sign.  The only NFA item that is "sheriff only" is a machinegun.  That is because NC law requires a permit from the sheriff for a machinegun (or at least it did, and the NFA branch has not revised its opinion on that since the law change on 12/01/2011).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Landric:
Originally Posted By doubleshot00:
Originally Posted By rcassettyjr:
Anyone know if the Sheriff of Brunswick county will sign?

I was told by a local shop he wont sign but i never have tried to ask.  I too am intrested in building a sbr but this is my hurdle in my way.  I dont want to go the trust route.

Any CLEO that has jurisdiction where you live can sign.  That means the sheriff of your county, the DA of your judicial district, a judge in your judicial district, or a chief of police of a city or town where you live.  If you live outside the PDs jurisdiction (1+ mile outside the city limits) then the chief of the PD cannot sign.  The only NFA item that is "sheriff only" is a machinegun.  That is because NC law requires a permit from the sheriff for a machinegun (or at least it did, and the NFA branch has not revised its opinion on that since the law change on 12/01/2011).

I see a lot of questions here similar to "will the sheriff in XXXX county sign a Form 1?"  I want to make sure none of you missed the post above. The Sheriff is not your only CLEO option.

Directly from the NFA Handbook:

6.2.4 Law enforcement certification. As provided by the regulations, the law enforcement certification located on the back of Form 1 must be completed and signed by the local chief of police or county sheriff, the head of the State police, the State or local district attorney or prosecutor, “or such other person whose certificate may in a particular case be acceptable to the Director.”97 Examples of certifying officials, other than those specifically mentioned in the regulations, who have been found to be acceptable are State attorneys general, heads of district State police offices and certain State court judges. Judges’ certifications have been accepted if the judges preside over courts of general jurisdiction having original jurisdiction in all civil and criminal cases or the authority to conduct criminal jury trials in felony cases. Generally, State magistrates and constables do not have such authority. NOTE: no official’s certification will be accepted unless the official has jurisdiction over the place where the applicant resides. The signature on each copy of the certification must be an original signature in ink. NOTE: if the Form 1 being submitted is to reactivate a properly registered unserviceable firearm, the law enforcement certification is not required. See Section 6.6.

6.2.4.1 What if the proposed maker is unable to find any official in his or her jurisdiction willing to sign the law enforcement certification? The inability to find any official to sign the certification will not excuse the requirement for the certification. In that event, the proposed maker will not be able to obtain an approved Form 1 to lawfully make an NFA firearm.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:27:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ander254] [#35]
I wonder if they woul accept a district court judge or would it have to be superior court judge
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I finally received my form 4 back for my m-16.  

Forms sent 2-26-13
Check cashed 3-5-13
Approved  12-16-13
Received  12-23-13
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Taskshooter:

I finally received my form 4 back for my m-16.  

Forms sent 2-26-13

Check cashed 3-5-13

Approved  12-16-13

Received  12-23-13
View Quote
nice xmas present

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Sure wish I had the coin for a m16. I'm 10 years away from that point.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#39]
So Im looking into getting a Can. Can anyone give a good no BS explanation of how to get his done? I live in Guilford county. I dont necessarily want to start a trust but if that is easier, I could really use some help on how to get it setup.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#40]
did the "for research purposes" (I'm paraphrasing) requirement get eliminated from the NC laws?

I remember a few years ago I looked at the NC Statutes, and it wasn't clear to me that it was legal for those that weren't "researching" something.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#41]
You no longer need the research wording.  My last two said "collecting and shooting"

Thanks to NCNFA and GRNC for HB650!
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#42]
With the Trust aspect all aflutter due to O's EO. I have become more curious as to what counties are friendly. I am looking to get some where less urban, and NFA friendliness will be a factor. If folks would pm me some friendly counties I would appreciate it greatly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Does anyone know if Len in Watauga Co. (Boone) will sign for a suppresor?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I see one of the few ways you can have NFA in NC is "scientific experiment." When I first got into NFA I lived in NC and my forms say that on them. Now I'm looking at possibly getting a job there again but all I put on my forms for my more recent NFA stuff is "collection."  Is this going to be an issue? Do I need to re-register those items?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By bruh44:
I see one of the few ways you can have NFA in NC is "scientific experiment." When I first got into NFA I lived in NC and my forms say that on them. Now I'm looking at possibly getting a job there again but all I put on my forms for my more recent NFA stuff is "collection."  Is this going to be an issue? Do I need to re-register those items?
View Quote

Nope, they got rid of that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#46]

I hope I'm wrong.
View Quote
Just in case there are any primary voters in Forsyth County.  The NRA has foolishly endorsed Schatzman, even after issuing alert against his opposition to House Bill 937, which would remove NC Sheriff's Handgun Permitting System.

The NRA also fails to note that Schatzman refuses to sign Form 4's for Title II weapons such as suppressors and short-barreled rifles, which are required by the BATF to own these firearms, despite GRNC-initiated legislation in 2011 which makes them perfectly legal to own.

And Schatzman has a history of requiring more information on CCW applicants than is allowed under State Law.  And his the office hours for the CCW permitting office are narrow.

Vote for a real pro-gun Sheriff Candidate, Dave Griffith.

BTW, I live in Kernersville.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Here's a pretty good read on that subject:

New Federal Rules for NC NFA Transfers
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I need to get two lowers engraved with the trust information. Any places I can go near Durham/Chapel Hill that do a good job?
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

Good news!   Thanks for this article.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Does anyone have an email address for Jeff Lawrence from the NC NFA DA?

Thanks
Wes
Page / 5
Tacked NFA in NC. (Page 3 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top