Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/3/2010 2:52:35 PM EDT
I moved to Charlotte a little over two years ago and I'm still looking for rifle ranges that better suit my needs. I've already been to a number of local ranges:

• Uwharrie (when it was still open)

• Shooters Express in Gastonia (too short, indoor range)

• Leeds Rifle Range

• Philson Crossroads Rifle Range

While these are all fine ranges, they're a bit of a drive (Leeds is closest right now but it's still about 1.5 hrs away), and none are longer than 100 yards.

I know the Charlotte Rifle/Pistol club is only a short drive from me, but the cost of membership is steep, thus not my first choice.

Where else is there to go where I might be able to shoot 300 yards or more?

I was recently told about a place in Abelmarle called Efrid's Rifle Range, but I found very little information online. Can anyone tell me more about this place if it's still open?
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a 500 yard range in Ramseur that the Appleseed project uses, maybe an hour from Charlotte. Still looking for contact info.   http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1276.0  Going to have to check out that one in Albemarle next I'm down there.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I too recently heard about Efrid's but haven't gone down to check it out yet.

Ramseur is the same distance as Leeds but i haven't been there either.

I've tried the same ranges as the OP plus Firepower.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I moved here about two years ago.  I was really shocked at the lack of outdoor ranges here.  I came from an anti state and had more choice of outdoor ranges there.  

I was never an indoor range type.  Even if it was freezing cold out, I preferred the outdoor ranges.  So, this really sucks

The Charlotte pistol and rifle range fees are absolutely ridiculous and not affordable for me right now.  And what REALLY sucks is, I'm ten minutes away from it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know of a hunting club that we could possibly join, maybe they have ranges to shoot on?  I'm not a hunter, but.....

I don't know, I'm grasping at straws here
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Just talked to Efrid's in Albemarle, 100 and 150 yard rifle ranges plus pistol ranges  $175 per year no initiation fee. Number is 704-982-3196. There's also the Rowan county wildlife association range https://rcwanc.com and a public range called Triple target in Sophia but it's closed until January 336-495-1650. Sophia is about 1 to 1.5 hours from Charlotte though. Still tying to find some contact info for the RWVA range in Ramseur, I think I'll have ask on the appleseed forums.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1308:
Just talked to Efrid's in Albemarle, 100 and 150 yard rifle ranges plus pistol ranges  $175 per year no initiation fee. Number is 704-982-3196. There's also the Rowan county wildlife association range https://rcwanc.com and a public range called Triple target in Sophia but it's closed until January 336-495-1650. Sophia is about 1 to 1.5 hours from Charlotte though. Still tying to find some contact info for the RWVA range in Ramseur, I think I'll have ask on the appleseed forums.

Good to know, thanks! $175/yr is manageable. I wish they had 200yd+ but Albermarle isn't too far, I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
What shooting facility is that just NW of the CLT airport?  I have been looking down at it for years and now I am moving to CLT.

2 areas, one skeet related, but there was another.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 1:54:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: palmer] [#8]

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 12:16:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taverndog] [#9]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 12:10:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grunt13] [#10]
Efird's is outdoor.  Looked like he was doing a little construction last time I went.  There is a pistol range, 100m everything range, 150m everything range, skeet side.  He said at times with some preplanning they close down the main ranges and will shoot across the property long distance.  I can't remember the exact max definitely 300+

Efird is great to deal with it's a breath of fresh air, literally, shooting there.

Concrete benches under cover, bathroom, wood stove for winter.  Bring your own targets and stands.  It was too hard to keep replacing shot up stands.  Definitely give him a call if you are near it is worth it to me.  I'd love to answer more questions, but I don't get out there as often as I would prefer.

Grunt
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Efirds is a great place to shoot .

This was taken a few years ago in front of the benches .

Here is a view down the range taken this year .

Link Posted: 11/23/2010 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#12]
$175.00 a year and an hours drive is a definite for me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HubbaBubba:
What shooting facility is that just NW of the CLT airport?  I have been looking down at it for years and now I am moving to CLT.

2 areas, one skeet related, but there was another.

Mecklenburg Wildlife Club. I'm a member there, it has a regular 100 yard range, but I think I read that by special arrangement they can move the shooting position back to make it 200 yards. I have never seen them do that however. So they have rifle and pistol range, trap shooting and 6 berms where they do monthly IDPA shoots - I was at one today. Also field archery if you are into that. $250 a year covers you and your spouse and kids.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's a map I put together and try to keep up to date.

All the ones mentioned here are on it plus a few more. The best option around here is to pony up the cash and join a club...and that sucks. I'll preach it until I die: it's 180 degrees opposite of what shootings sports are supposed to do by charging these crazy fees and not even giving a one day per month option to the public. Back in Central FL where I grew up, there were private clubs too, but most of them offered a "third Sunday of the month" for the public to pay $15-$20 and use their facilities too. It helps share the sport and gain more members when people see what you have to offer. When I suggest this to local clubs, I get the third degree and all sorts of excuses for why the dirty general poor public can't come on their property.

If I ever have the chance (read: money and time) to start a business, a public shooting facility will be at the top of my list around here. Somewhere in the rural parts of the surrounding counties...Cabarrus, Iredell, Gastonia...something within 30-45 minutes of downtown. Rifle ranges out to several hundred yards, pistol bays, shotgun fields, etc. A man can dream, can't he?
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#15]
So does Effird's offer daily admission, or just memberships?
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#16]
No daily admission, you must join at Efrids to shoot.  You can bring ONE guest at a time if you are a member.  I have looked into it as well and visited back in the late summer.  However, my GF is blessed with a large chunk of rural land.  I am in the process setting up a small short (65yd and less) range once the winter is over.  I highly recommend Efrids to anyone looking for a place to shoot.  The pistol bay is small and only maybe 20yrds +/- as best I can remember.  The rifle benches are nice and there is carpet pieces to lay on the concrete to keep your firearms from getting scratched.  If you are interested in joining please call before you randomly show up, so Efrid told me.

Rowan Wildlife Range is HIGH... I think $400 to join from what I have been told.

Uwharrie status is still closed, from last reports on the park site.  

Anyone know anything about Firepower?  I have heard they teach some classes there and have a nice range / store.

Doing intel gathering on the reported range in Ramsuer, NC.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Range in Ramsuer is used for Appleseed shoots only.  No public use.  

This info was obtained from a Asheboro gun store.  FYI
Link Posted: 12/1/2010 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Firepower is OK as indoor gun shop ranges go. Still the same ole boring rules: no holster draw, no more than one shot per 2 seconds...basically nothing practical. That's the benefit of an outdoor range where you can get real practice with your firearms.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]
HubbaBubba, that range w/the skeet shooting is actually in Gaston county, it's a public range, one of a very few outdoor public ranges in NC.

The skeet part is open every day, more info here: http://www.cityofgastonia.com/city_serv/parks/athletics/SkeetTrap.cfm

The rifle range is open to public on Saturdays from 1-5. (more info here: http://www.cityofgastonia.com/city_serv/police/faq/GPDFAQ.cfm ) 100 yards only, they have benches but they aren't covered (there is a covered shelter behind the firing line).

Faron
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Faron:
HubbaBubba, that range w/the skeet shooting is actually in Gaston county, it's a public range, one of a very few outdoor public ranges in NC.

The skeet part is open every day, more info here: http://www.cityofgastonia.com/city_serv/parks/athletics/SkeetTrap.cfm

The rifle range is open to public on Saturdays from 1-5. (more info here: http://www.cityofgastonia.com/city_serv/police/faq/GPDFAQ.cfm ) 100 yards only, they have benches but they aren't covered (there is a covered shelter behind the firing line).

Faron

That's only about 30 min from me.  I would imagine if the range is only open to the public on Saturdays, it must get crowded.  Have you been there on Saturdays?

Link Posted: 12/20/2010 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been there 7-8 times and have only had to wait (for 20-30 min) one time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Should the title of this be changed to 'There are no outdoor public ranges close to Charlotte"? :-)

Seriously, i'd like to go shooting this weekend, but i highly doubt the Gastonia range will be open (since tomorrow is New Years Day).  Uwharrie is closed, so i think Leeds in SC is the next closest place, and that's like 2 hrs away.

Is it just me, or does that seem to be quite a drive to shoot for an hour or two?

Are there any private places that are closer that have 100-200 yard that charge a daily rate?  I know about Efirds, but i'd rather not spend $175 to just try it.

Faron

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Ya'll are forgetting pappy's gun shop (100 yards).  Great guy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By palmer:
Does anyone know of a hunting club that we could possibly join, maybe they have ranges to shoot on?  I'm not a hunter, but.....

I don't know, I'm grasping at straws here

Ditto.. there is nothing around here.. it sucks
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Faron:
Should the title of this be changed to 'There are no outdoor public ranges close to Charlotte"? :-)

Seriously, i'd like to go shooting this weekend, but i highly doubt the Gastonia range will be open (since tomorrow is New Years Day).  Uwharrie is closed, so i think Leeds in SC is the next closest place, and that's like 2 hrs away.

Is it just me, or does that seem to be quite a drive to shoot for an hour or two?

Are there any private places that are closer that have 100-200 yard that charge a daily rate?  I know about Efirds, but i'd rather not spend $175 to just try it.

Faron

I heard there is a range in Waxhaw;  they have a site here;  http://www.ncgta.com/  but i havent been to it.

There is also a 12 lane indoor range at Sportsmans Inc in Rock Hill sc http://www.sportsmaninconline.com/    They have a pretty nice shop and staff.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By climber_:

Wow.. Didnt know about that one.  Looks like a nice guy;  http://www.pappysgunshop.com/
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I went to Efrids today! I did not call before going but did see Mr. Efrid  and paid a twenty dollar fee to shoot. He seemed like a really good o'll boy! He helped me with a front sight issue I was having!! I think the price of $175.00 a year seemed pretty good considering the range and amenities. I heard of a rifle and shootgun range on Hwy 601 but have not been able to locate it? If anyone knows of it please message me with it's location.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Wow.. Didnt know about that one.  Looks like a nice guy;  http://www.pappysgunshop.com/

That's only 35 minutes from me.  I will definitely pay them a visit soon.  This could be the light at the end of the tunnel
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:33:33 AM EDT
[#29]

That's only 35 minutes from me.  I will definitely pay them a visit soon.  This could be the light at the end of the tunnel

Pappy is a 1st class guy for sure. The matches down there are great and always great people to shoot with and learn from. Morgan Allen has shot down there and given plenty of good advice to new to IDPA type shooters. He is a really down to earth good guy.

Morgan Allen

No affiliation to him, he just was good about giving me some pointers and a really good guy to talk to at a match. Learned a good deal watching him. I believe he does quite a few matches here locally.

I plan on doing some matches at Pappy's this year. Always fun down there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:36:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jax2Clt] [#30]
You might be seeing the Mecklenburg Wildlife Club located at 2301 Wildlife Rd, Charlotte, NC 28214 (704) 399-3733 when flying into CLT. It's NW of the airport off Sam Wilson Road.

They don't have a web site but they host the "Mecklenburg Wildlife Defensive Shooters" club which does have a web site: http://www.mwdshooters.com/

Edited to Add:  Oops... sorry, I should have read further down this thread. If I had I would have seen that this question had been answered!
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Saw a sign on Highway 150 just west of I77 (exit 36 near Mooresville) for a new indoor range.  Supposed to be opening this spring in an old marine service center.  I'll get some more info next time I drive by.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Squamata:

Pappy is a 1st class guy for sure. The matches down there are great and always great people to shoot with and learn from. Morgan Allen has shot down there and given plenty of good advice to new to IDPA type shooters. He is a really down to earth good guy.

Morgan Allen

No affiliation to him, he just was good about giving me some pointers and a really good guy to talk to at a match. Learned a good deal watching him. I believe he does quite a few matches here locally.

I plan on doing some matches at Pappy's this year. Always fun down there.

Ya'll let me know if you want company to shoot with at pappys.

Link Posted: 2/18/2011 4:10:23 AM EDT
[#33]
http://www.therangeatlakenorman.com/newrange.html

Coming soon to Cornelius, NC in fall.

But looks to be high price.

Does any one know about Long Creek Rifle & Pistol Club? It's 10 min from my house in Huntersville.  I was never able to get member info.

Google Maps

Link Posted: 2/19/2011 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By dfowler21:
Saw a sign on Highway 150 just west of I77 (exit 36 near Mooresville) for a new indoor range.  Supposed to be opening this spring in an old marine service center.  I'll get some more info next time I drive by.

Yeah, its being built. Its a couple miles from me. Pointblankrange.com Supposed to have a few Class III toys there also.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By PC-Tech:
http://www.therangeatlakenorman.com/newrange.html

Coming soon to Cornelius, NC in fall.

But looks to be high price.

Does any one know about Long Creek Rifle & Pistol Club? It's 10 min from my house in Huntersville.  I was never able to get member info.
Google Maps

Yeah I know the guy that is opening it. It will be pretty high prices. With the Mooresville range opening, I will never go there anyway
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I am looking for a range within reason from gaston county that is EBR and NFA friendly.
But not ridiculous on fees.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Just went down to the Fairforest Rifle Range on the National Forest down near Union SC this past weekend - quite a drive for me (2 hours or so from Midland NC). I went down with some buddies from Rock Hill. This range has been totally refurbished this past fall & it is a 1st class 100 yard public range. Nice shelter, clean place, 8 benches, no toilets. Best to pack a cooler with water & a lunch - make a day of it. We met lot's of good guys down there, shared advice, shot each other toys, generally just had a safe & fun morning.  

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/sr_images/maps/Fairforest_Location.pdf

After the long drive & almost a  tank of gas; I guess I am going to bite the bullet ($175) next month and join Efrid's Range over in Ablemarle, NC. I took my CCW from Efird's son several years back as well. Since then; I've been at least 8 times over the last few years with friends who are members. I think he got tired of me paying the $ 20 guest fee & told me to join or not come back.

Efird's is a good 100 & 150 yard range, decent facilities, & friendly folks. If you live in Charlotte, Concord, or Monroe areas it would be worth while for sure.    

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Alright...who here has been to Effird's and can positively give a description of the facilities?!?! Not that I don't believe everyone's report, but I'm seeing reports of lanes from 100-600 yards! Which is it? Is it rifles only, or handguns too?
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 9:17:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tornado_Racing] [#39]
Originally Posted By Metallisteve:
Alright...who here has been to Effird's and can positively give a description of the facilities?!?! Not that I don't believe everyone's report, but I'm seeing reports of lanes from 100-600 yards! Which is it? Is it rifles only, or handguns too?

EDIT TO ADD

Efird's Rfile Range
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#40]
apparently (I have heard) Point blank will have hourly rates in the $20s. Memberships are starting at $1250 plus $50 per month.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 50cal_Mopar:
apparently (I have heard) Point blank will have hourly rates in the $20s. Memberships are starting at $1250 plus $50 per month.

but you're a little late for April fools. Is it free ammo, all you can shoot? Do scantily clad models load your mags and change your targets for you?

Seriously, that is absolutely absurd!
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 8:38:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal_Mopar] [#42]
yeah, I heard that and now act like its not even there. Its a damn shame they wont stay open very long.

ETA
http://www.pointblankrange.com/patriot-gun-club/club-membership/
http://www.pointblankrange.com/point-blank-range/range-fees-and-memberships/

While its not as bad as I was told (other than the "Patriot Member") I still dont see paying that. Ill go to a nice outdoor range for less
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Are we allow to shoot clay target or just paper target anyone know at Leed ? it's clay after all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By nhan1981:
Are we allow to shoot clay target or just paper target anyone know at Leed ? it's clay after all.

I'm pretty sure the rules specifically state no clays paper only but I shoot my steel plates there and have seen people shoot fruit and plastic action figures. Granted, I don't think I've ever seen a ranger there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#45]
New range is now open in Concord.  I have not been there but I have a friend that went there yesterday.

http://eaglegun.com/

Check it out and post some feedback.  

I can say the store (pre-range completion) was nice and the staff was knowledgeable.  Good selection of firearms as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Shooters Express has opened an outdoor range by Wilkesboro, about 1 hour 30 mins from Gastonia. 45 to an hour from most of Charlotte.

Its 429.99 a year.

200 yard outdoor, and limited number of spots.

You also get an hour a day at the indoor ranges.

You also get a discount with both of there stores, and can order guns at employee price.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#47]

You said you're 10 minutes from Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club. You'll pay 175.00 and drive an hour to shoot 150 yards, but you won't pay 360.00 per year to shoot 300yrds at arguably the finest range in N. or S. Carolina, 10 minutes from your house. You'll be losing money after your third trip to Efird's on gas alone not counting time. Doesn't make sense. There's a reason CRPC is over twice the cost of Efird's. Over 20 300yrd benches, 20 200yrd pistol benches , rimfire range, tactical match and cowboy action range, 3 skeet and two trap fields, 5 stand and an archery range. Three clubhouses one at the 24/7 365 days, members only indoor range in Matthews.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Winchester73:

You said you're 10 minutes from Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club. You'll pay 175.00 and drive an hour to shoot 150 yards, but you won't pay 360.00 per year to shoot 300yrds at arguably the finest range in N. or S. Carolina, 10 minutes from your house. You'll be losing money after your third trip to Efird's on gas alone not counting time. Doesn't make sense. There's a reason CRPC is over twice the cost of Efird's. Over 20 300yrd benches, 20 200yrd pistol benches , rimfire range, tactical match and cowboy action range, 3 skeet and two trap fields, 5 stand and an archery range. Three clubhouses one at the 24/7 365 days, members only indoor range in Matthews.

I've actually moved, I'm closer to Efirds now. So, your point is moot.  

Needing and wanting are two different animals.  I only NEED a 100 yard position.  I do not need 200 and 300 yard positions.  I don't do cowboy action, skeet or Archery.  So, in reality, I would be wasting my money at CRPC.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Winchester73:

I've actually moved, I'm closer to Efirds now. So, your point is moot.  

Needing and wanting are two different animals.  I only NEED a 100 yard position.  I do not need 200 and 300 yard positions.  I don't do cowboy action, skeet or Archery.  So, in reality, I would be wasting my money at CRPC.

Ok so you've moved that's understandable. However your needs and wants comment makes no sense to me either. Your post implies that you want 300 yards but need only 100; fine. You don't have to answer but from what I take is that you're not being honest with us, or yourself; I'm not sure which one. When you lived 10 minutes from CRPC it still made no sense to waste time and money driving to Efirds when your wants, and NEEDS could have been met at CRPC for less money overall when accounting for fuel. So in an effort to defend your position and make your self right, you are still not being honest with us or yourself. Only you know which one. Just food for thought. Live long and prosper near Efirds my friend.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 50cal_Mopar:

I've actually been there a couple times.  They charge a daily rate of $18.  It's actually a nice place to shoot in my opinion.  I believe you can shoot up to .308 rifle and with a shot gun they went to only slugs.  I had a good time nice and helpful people.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top