Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2017 3:44:20 PM EDT
Plaza Tire just quoted me $450 to change lower ball joints on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4WD... Considering ball joints are about $25.00/ea, and it takes about 30-45 minutes a side, I think that's a bit steep on the price.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Plaza Tire just quoted me $450 to change lower ball joints on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4WD... Considering ball joints are about $25.00/ea, and it takes about 30-45 minutes a side, I think that's a bit steep on the price.
View Quote

Couple exits down 67 in Fredericktown is an Auto Plaza Ford. (573) 783-6433

I'm not sure what they'd change but they've always been fair too me.  Its the only place I really know and trust...

Gunguy148 (Daniel) is the Shop Manager there, call and ask for him and see what he quotes ya..
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Impressive auto south of you on Karsch/OO highway has a good reputation. I have never personally used them but several friends have.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Impressive auto south of you on Karsch/OO highway has a good reputation. I have never personally used them but several friends have.
View Quote
Not impressive.  $50 higher than Plaza.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what they'd change but they've always been fair too me.  Its the only place I really know and trust...

Gunguy148 (Daniel) is the Shop Manager there, call and ask for him and see what he quotes ya..
View Quote
Talked to Daniel, nice guy...  He said it shows 5 hours to change lower ball joints...  That's a bunch of hooey.  It's 45 mins per side, easy.  I'll do it myself and get the ball joint press from Auto-Zone on rental.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Talked to Daniel, nice guy...  He said it shows 5 hours to change lower ball joints...  That's a bunch of hooey.  It's 45 mins per side, easy.  I'll do it myself and get the ball joint press from Auto-Zone on rental.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I think all the car lots that are ""New Car" lots that have repair places go by ""Book Time", vs actual clock time.... 

Most things they make decent money on, a few they lose (well the Mechanic)  money on, but you can bet not much...

I hate getting my vehicles worked on, its Costly and a pain to shuffle vehicles around...  I have to find time to drop it off and have someone take me from there to work or back home, then the reverse to pick it up.......  <sigh>..... 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.

Today, I went back to IL to take care of some stuff with my business partner and replace the lower ball joints in the diesel.

10 hours to do one side, thanks to shitty loaner tools from Advance Auto.

Plaza will be doing the other side this week.  With any luck, they'll use the Moog ball joint I already have.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking that 30 minute estimate per ball joint seemed pretty dang quick.  Sounds like $450 wasn't too far off.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#9]
10 hours?

I'll do the second side for the low price of $600.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top