Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 9:31:12 PM EDT
Preferably somewhere within a 3-4 hour drive of STL metro.

I've exhausted my searches online, and am now hoping to find a decent one by word of mouth.

For anyone who might know someone that has one for sale (advertised or not), this is the information I'll need prior to going to look at it.

ETA:  It'll take 10-15 minutes to perform the following procedure.  20 if you're stupid.

You'll need a dial indicator capable of 0.0005" resolution (1/2 thou), a magnetic base for the indicator, and a machinists straight edge.

1.  On the x and y axis, how much backlash in the lead screw handles?  Record backlash.

2.  Setup the dial indicator inside of the spindle where the collet mates.  About 1/8" to 3/16" from the edge.  Spin the spindle by hand and see if there's any run out.  Record run out.

3.  Move the indicator/stand and extend the quill to it's maximum travel and lock it in place using the auto-feed.  Place the indicator on the outside of the quill as far down as you can on the x-axis, and then grab the quill and try to move it back and forth.  Note how much movement is in the x-axis.  Repeat the same test for the y-axis.  Record results.

4.  Place the magnetic base on the y-axis way where the flaking is.  Setup the indicator horizontally on the front side of the bed (x-axis).  Traverse the bed right and left and see if there is any indicator movement.  If there is, the bed is not square to the y-axis.  With the bed fully to the right, grab the left side of the bed and try to move it along the y-axis.  If the bed can be moved, the ways are worn, or the gibs are not properly adjusted.

5.  Leave the magnetic base in the same position as number 4, and place the indicator facing downwards to the top of the bed.  Traverse the bed right/left.  If there is any movement, the bed is not level.  With the bed fully to the right, grab the left side of the bed and try to raise/lower it.  If it can be moved, the ways are worn or gibs not properly adjusted.

6.  Use a machinist's straight edge along the x-axis of the bed.  With the straight edge on edge, can you see light behind the straight edge?  If so, the bed is warped.

Then, for the obvious... Does the quill auto-feed work?  Does both high/low gear work?  Does the variable speed work?  Are there any odd gear or other noises heard?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
you need to look on Craigslist for machines , i did of a search in the KC area
and there are several . i took awhile for me but i bought my mill from a votech
with less than 15 hrs on it so good machines are out there , you may have to drive
alittle but it's worth it in the end .

TS2

this seller seems to have some machines and is close to you .
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/6168314436.html
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you need to look on Craigslist for machines , i did of a search in the KC area
and there are several . i took awhile for me but i bought my mill from a votech
with less than 15 hrs on it so good machines are out there , you may have to drive
alittle but it's worth it in the end .

TS2

this seller seems to have some machines and is close to you .
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/6168314436.html
View Quote
That's Machine Tools Rebuilt (MTR) out of Carlyle IL... I know who he is and what he has.

I use:  http://www.searchtempest.com/  Which searches CL nationwide.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Bought a Webb Champ 3VH yesterday...

Sheesh, new to me house, now new to me mill.

It's a party!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top