Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2017 7:06:47 AM EDT
looking at buying property there for a future home.

Tell me the good, bad and ugly.

Are there any jobs- like oil industry or petrochem?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Cabool was just rated as the 2nd most impoverished town in Missouri or some shit.
Land can be had cheap. Jobs are pretty scarce unless you dont mind driving to other towns.
My parents live in Cabool but drive to Licking to work at the prison. Most people that live there commute to a different town to work.
There is the milk plant but its pretty difficult to get on there. Woodpro builds cabinets,I think they pay about ten bucks an hour.
There is a big truck service and repair shop that I believe only works on the milk plants trucks.
Gas stations, a handful of restaraunts, dollar general,a couple banks and other small shops or working in ag probably make up the rest of the available jobs.
Nice little gun shop on the main drag though.
People are fairly friendly. Not to far from several waterways and national forests.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
When you say commute- how far of a drive are you talking?

and there's no gasoline terminals or anything that you're aware of?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The nearest gas terminal that I can think of is the one out near Republic which on the west side of Springfield.
There are small towns all around there so commuting could take as little as 10-15 minutes to get to Mountain grove which is the closest busier small town and on up to a bit over an hour to get to Springfield.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Dude there's not much in Cabool.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Being from the area, OP,.. What makes you want to come here and where are you from?

This is beautiful country in the Ozark Hills. Best fishing and hunting in the world, but everything comes at a cost.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#7]
There's not a whole lot down there, but shoot me a PM if you're in that area and are interested in organized tactical training and disaster-relief/SAR/LE-support stuff. There is a solid outfit working out of Texas County. The folks down there and in bordering counties are awesome.

Expect to see more happening down there when Doe Run finally burns through its reserves in the Viburnum Trend; there is more lead in a zone to the west of the current mines. That might be twenty years, though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being from the area, OP,.. What makes you want to come here and where are you from?

This is beautiful country in the Ozark Hills. Best fishing and hunting in the world, but everything comes at a cost.
View Quote
Well, really nothing yet. I'm watching one of those homestead sites that sells land and all and some of it looks interesting. They tend to have a lot of land in that area, but they do deal in several other states (to varying degrees). I'm not even sure I want to move to Missouri- could be Kentucky (better NFA laws). These properties at times have cabins or even full homes on them. I just want lots of land at a great price, a stream runing through would be perfect, but I also need a job (in my field) to make it work. I don't mind a moderate amount of travel, but not HOURS of it to get to work.

I'm from Northern DE/Southeastern PA
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Most natives in that area except real estate agents are not very friendly to people from your area so be prepared to get the cold shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, really nothing yet. I'm watching one of those homestead sites that sells land and all and some of it looks interesting. They tend to have a lot of land in that area, but they do deal in several other states (to varying degrees). I'm not even sure I want to move to Missouri- could be Kentucky (better NFA laws). These properties at times have cabins or even full homes on them. I just want lots of land at a great price, a stream runing through would be perfect, but I also need a job (in my field) to make it work. I don't mind a moderate amount of travel, but not HOURS of it to get to work.

I'm from Northern DE/Southeastern PA
View Quote
Western KY has a good bit of natural gas, in the western coalfield region. I am not aware of any current gas production in Missouri.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
looking at buying property there for a future home.

Tell me the good, bad and ugly.

Are there any jobs- like oil industry or petrochem?
View Quote

Do you mean like, being a cashier at QT?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top