Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2017 6:31:18 PM EDT
Hey all, my wife and my in laws finally agreed to let me take them shooting. So I'm looking for a range to take them too in or near the columbia area.

They are a little apprehensive about firearms, just due to never having been around them growing up. So I want to try and make it as comfortable and positive experience as possible, so as not to reinforce any fears or ideas they might have.

I plan on going over the following things during our session:

While unloaded:
- Proper handling, always point muzzle in safest direction, no muzzle sweeping, explnation of terms "range is hot", "cease fire", "range is cold", etc...
- operation of handgun (glock 26), safety features or lack there of, dry firing a couple times to get feel of trigger.

While Loaded:
- Me demonstrating all of above practices on the first magazine.
- Supervising them to ensure they follow all procedures above, while they shoot their targets.

That's pretty much it, just going to use my Glock 26 with all three of them for around 100-200 rds. Really just want to ease them into it, and focus on safe practices and safe operation.

Any suggustions? Preferably places homeboys don't come to, they are very very afraid of the "gang" looking types.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a small MDC range just south of Moberly. Probably far enough from the hood.

Start with a 22 lr pistol if you have one.  Scaring them with noise and recoil can be counter productive.

Noobs like reactive targets if you can get some.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:29:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Load one round at a time until they are confident in handling the firearm and the recoil.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on when you want to go, i can get you into Green Valley.  It is a great place to take anyone.
A G26 has quite a bit of umph for new shooters.  I agree that a 22 is best.  I have one and a larger sized 9mm as well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on when you want to go, i can get you into Green Valley.  It is a great place to take anyone.
A G26 has quite a bit of umph for new shooters.  I agree that a 22 is best.  I have one and a larger sized 9mm as well.
View Quote
Thanks for the offer! Everything I heard about That place is great things. Once I have a few paychecks under my belt (just graduated University) and the wife approves, I plan on joining.

Got busy this week, so didn't reach out on here.

Ended up just taking the father in law to Fingerlakes and went in the morning to avoid any stupids. Had a blast, the G26 did have some umph but I think it made him respect the safety aspect a bit more. By the end of it he was doing great checking the chamber, making sure not to muzzle sweep, and maintaining trigger discipline. He was shooting better than I was by the end .

The wife and MIL decided not to come, probably won't take them until I pick up my 22's from my parents.

I think we converted another boys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top