Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2017 11:15:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I know the one just North of Springfield (Andy Dalton?) doesn't allow silhouette targets.  I find this crazy as to qualify for CCW you have to shoot one based on State Law!
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
While I don't like it I can at least understand why they would do this. Have you ever been to a dept. of conservation range? There are some "interesting" characters there at times. The few times I have been to one I found myself asking, How do these people remember to breath,  let along shoot a firearm safely?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
That all sounds like what the rules have been at Lake City for some time. A smith that I spoke with had a malfunction on a project a few years ago and his rifle went full auto. Freaked the range folks out. He showed them the part that broke, but they still kicked him out for going full auto.  They should have been happy he was a professional and kept his barrel on the target and told everyone that is how you handle an emergency. They also always handle people's guns and bang them around looking at the bolts. Some folks with some high-dollar rifles have gotten pretty upset.

Quoted:
Wonder when they are going to institute a rule stating you can only load one round into the weapon?
View Quote
Don't give them any more ideas!
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]
We so badly need a nice gun club north of the river.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Those have always been the rules at the two manned ranges in STL (Henges & Busch)......for 15+ yrs.  You've always had to use their targets and only shoot once every three seconds.  I've never seen anything about "no machine guns", but how would they know, especially when you can only shoot once every three seconds on semi-auto??  Only thing I ever remember changing has been the check-in / check-out procedure.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Put up a detailed post about it on his Facebook page.  No shit a small lot car dealership did this bitchng about the State mandate for a land line phone for car dealers and Greitens said "thats dumb" and away that law went.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If I could find your post I would comment as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The MDC is a very different organization than it was 20 years ago.

The people making the decisions seem to cater to the Sierra Club types more than the average outdoorsman.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes it is. And you have the 1/8 sales tax to thank. Once they had their own funding stream and answered to no one ---F-U. Political hacks appointed to the commission. The only one I knew was the largest timber owner in the State. I sure he was on there for the chillans.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to fire my SKS as quickly as I wanted at Parma Woods, and no one said a thing. I'd smoke cigarettes in the booth as well without issue. Then one day I went to Lake City (the old one) and had to slow down my shooting and couldn't smoke my cigs. Went back to Parma Woods and suddenly they had the same rules. Now that I live on the east side, I will go to LC every now and again, but only for sighting in or precision shooting. They do have a very nice range, just as long as you're cool with not having any fun.

Haven't been to Pigeon Hill but once many years ago. Went to Concordia a few years back and it was alright for only having 3 lanes. Too many idiots in KC for there to ever be a range like that around here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...and couldn't smoke my cigs.
View Quote
I'm OK with that one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll only go to Parma if I'm taking a new shooter I don't trust. I won't ever go to Pigeon Hill again. I've never seen a Fudd there, but plenty of Bubba's with their SKS's and all the asshattery and unsafe firearms handling that goes along with that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm OK with that one.
View Quote
Dude, it's an outdoor range.

I actually quit 3 months ago so hopefully I can keep it going.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#18]
All of the MO DOC ranges have sucked for years and had stupid rules like this.  We once called, months in advance, and made arrangements to have a machine gun shoot at Parma.  We got the ok verbally and in writing.  Called on the day of to confirm and all was good.  When we showed up, they suddenly changed their minds and said it's not allowed under any circumstances.  Then there were the times I've been shot at at Pigeon Hill - when downrange changing targets.  I was once approached by undercover ATF at Parma - I assume because of the way I looked and what I was wearing - and they tried to get intel on militias, wanted to hang out, and asked if I would sell them a gun.  I'm the last person in the fucking world you should ask about militias and gun purchases.

The last straw for me was when I was at Parma, shooting a S&W 500.  The rangemaster decided .500 was not allowed, during a ceasefire and after I'd already popped off about 20 rnds, and he started yelling at me from his office and yelled all the way down the range until he got to my stall.  While the entire packed range watched, he got in my face, inches away from my nose, and screamed at me with his best Gunnery Sergeant Hartman FMJ impression.  Spit flew from his mouth and his face was bright red as he shouted at me.  When he was done shouting, I started packing my shit and, in a voice loud enough for the entire range to hear, told him to go fuck himself and that I'd never be back to his fucking fascist range.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#19]
It took me only a few times at the Lake City range to decide to find a private range, beside the rules and the range nazi patrolling, it was like shooting in a giant echo chamber that amplified the sound by 100x.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Who shoots at a public range?   I've never understood why someone would invest thousands of dollars in firearms but won't at the very least pay a membership to a real gun club.    
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I raised hell here about the MDC ranges years ago. Even began exchanging emails with a very high up. They don't care about our peasant opinions.

FUCK MDC ranges. I still go to Pigeon Hill because it's free and somewhat close but it's rare.

Pigeon Hill isn't that bad. I've seen a few things that caught my attention....but I have no problem barking at people and correcting them. I'm always ROing everybody anyway at any range
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll only go to Parma if I'm taking a new shooter I don't trust. I won't ever go to Pigeon Hill again. I've never seen a Fudd there, but plenty of Bubba's with their SKS's and all the asshattery and unsafe firearms handling that goes along with that.
View Quote
While I know and understand the range Nazis and rules are crazy, this is the reason why they are there.  I work for MDC-I'm not involved with the ranges or their rules (I don't like the no 50 bmg rule)-and the stories that I hear from the people who run the ranges are just crazy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

While I know and understand the range Nazis and rules are crazy, this is the reason why they are there.  I work for MDC-I'm not involved with the ranges or their rules (I don't like the no 50 bmg rule)-and the stories that I hear from the people who run the ranges are just crazy.
View Quote
Sorry for the sideline but when is Busch ever going to open?  

I thought it was suppose to open in Jan '17?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I raised hell here about the MDC ranges years ago. Even began exchanging emails with a very high up. They don't care about our peasant opinions.

FUCK MDC ranges. I still go to Pigeon Hill because it's free and somewhat close but it's rare.

Pigeon Hill isn't that bad. I've seen a few things that caught my attention....but I have no problem barking at people and correcting them. I'm always ROing everybody anyway at any range
View Quote
This has been my experience too.

Compliment them & they love you.  Offer a small word of advice & you're not professional enough.

Mentioning that you're contacting your state reps to encourage them to take away their special sales tax gives them ants in the pants though.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Where are these rule changes posted?

Honestly, I'm all for it. Pidgin Hill is turning into a garbage dump. I wish conservation would sit out there 24/7 and ticket every minor offense they could until the riff-raff quits showing up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I posted an Apple Seed target at Henges.  They made me take it down.  Something that resembles the top half of a pot hat is too much like a silhouette.
Just not very user riendly

Story I heard on the new Busch Range is that their target date is just before Rifle Season. When the project was announced, the projection was 30 to 36 months.  In true state project fashion, it didn't meet the schedule.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sorry for the sideline but when is Busch ever going to open?  

I thought it was suppose to open in Jan '17?
View Quote
This summer
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know the one just North of Springfield (Andy Dalton?) doesn't allow silhouette targets.  I find this crazy as to qualify for CCW you have to shoot one based on State Law!
View Quote
This is why I used to only go to the Pleasant Hope range in the Springfield Area until I joined a range.
Pleasant Hope is unstaffed and you can pretty much do what you want. I've never been bugged by anyone there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This summer
View Quote
When?

Summer begins in June.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Pigeon Hill (unmanned range) USED to allow machine guns, when I called to confirm they were no longer allowed I was informed that "bump fire" was O.K.

This goes to prove how stupid the Conservation agents are, bump fire is safer than full auto?

I've held several MOHTF shoots there over the years and there was NO RULE about no faster than one shot every three seconds.

If they REALLY want to make Pigeon Hill safer they need to do something about the FUDDS muzzle sweeping everyone there.
View Quote
The LAST time I went to Pigeon Hill I was swept 3 times in about 5 seconds, with a loaded pistol by the same person. They couldn't understand why I was so livid
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Really, last time I was there a friend was changing targets on the 100 yrd line and the people on the other side the 100 starting shooting at tier target.   Was not pleased.  They didnt see an issue since there was 2 opens lanes between us and them.

Ppl on the 25 yrd range were sweeping everyone also.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Is the .50 BMG restriction due to limitations of the backstop/bullet trap or FUDD prejudice. 

Also, who buys a .50 and takes it to a 100 yd range? Can't you sight it in at bench rest or in the national Forest?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

When?

Summer begins in June.

Thanks
View Quote
Link to webcam on this page isn't working right now.

I looked about a month ago, didn't look even close to done.  30-36 month "temporary closure".   Used to shoot there every other week.  Don't like the rules but $3 for an hour is cheaper then $21 dollars at the indoor ranges.  Also it's easier to collect my brass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The ONE match/event where I was swept the most was a LE match at CMMG many years back. In general those guys absolutely have the WORST safe gun handling skills, present company obviously excluded.
View Quote
Went to a Dept. of Corrections/LEO shoot at Green Valley with my brother once.  I know what you're talking about there.

Had one guy in fully Gunny mode about EVERYTHING except all the muzzle sweeps.  

It was far more important to him that you install a chamber flag into a gun going into a case than the near constant muzzle bumble-f*ckery going on behind the line of fire.

Private ranges are where it's at.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Can anyone recommend a private range on the east side?

I was a member of the Sportsman's Cub in Jeff City, loved that place.  Since I moved back to St Louis, I've gone to a couple of indoor ranges, but would really like to get some longer distances to shoot at.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was a member of the Sportsman's Cub in Jeff City, loved that place.  Since I moved back to St Louis, I've gone to a couple of indoor ranges, but would really like to get some longer distances to shoot at.
View Quote
East St. Louis
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club will get you out to 100.  67 gun club will get you to 300 (I think).  

Anything beyond that & you'll need to look at STL Benchrest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#43]
ARPC in Arnold only goes to 100yds but rapid fire and even full auto is fine.
BRCSTL goes out to 1000 but no rapid fire except during matches.
At least was true a few years back.
Sometimes you can have a MDC range to yourself, some times you will get a self appointed range nazi and in the fall you get lines of deer hunters waiting their turn.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Arnold Rifle & Pistol is expanding FYI, they are adding a 30 position 300+ yd range and adding a dozen new bays/combat pits. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Arnold Rifle & Pistol is expanding FYI, they are adding a 30 position 300+ yd range and adding a dozen new bays/combat pits. 
View Quote
Dang, how are they pulling all of that off?  Did they buy more land?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe it's a combo of new land and cutting into the hillside.  I don't go to the meetings, but their e-mail blast had a big list of things that got approved last year.  Probably be quite awhile before it all gets done though. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for all the suggestions on private ranges.

Arnold is the closest, so it's at the top of my list for now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I believe it's a combo of new land and cutting into the hillside.  I don't go to the meetings, but their e-mail blast had a big list of things that got approved last year.  Probably be quite awhile before it all gets done though. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, good for them. My father was a member when they moved to that location & I grew up shooting there. Great club.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:26:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is why I used to only go to the Pleasant Hope range in the Springfield Area until I joined a range.
Pleasant Hope is unstaffed and you can pretty much do what you want. I've never been bugged by anyone there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of people dislike the place, but I prefer the no hassle at Busiek.  The benches go fast on the weekends, but I have no issue with sitting or proning out in the grass either.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been going to Parma a couple times a month for the last five years and for me the only real drawbacks are the 100 yard maximum and no rapid fire. I do like that it's clean and safe and inexpensive. I exclusively shoot NFA items (SBR's and silencers) and haven't been given any grief yet.

If I want to shoot fast I go farther north to River Breaks which is MDC owned but unmanned. Only 100 yards there too though.

Are there any private ranges in the KCMO area with greater than 100 yard distances? I would love to join something like that if possible.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top