BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No checkpoints needed. Just park a cruiser outside of known joints and catch 'em right as they first get on the road loaded to the gills.
View Quote
No kidding. They know where 95% of drunk drivers are getting drunk, and where a decent percentage of patrons are leaving drunk.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
What difference does it make? Small town Rolla has multiple DUI's every week. Occasionally the same guy 2x in the same day. Arrested for no driver's license, dui, no insurance and habitual offender. What happens, they are booked and released on a summons. For the low life, what difference does it make? Where is the incentive for the one arrested to change their ways? I guess the 2 or 3 hours they are detained prevent these potential murderers from killing me during their inconvenience.

An additional bitch is the hit and runs. Almost no consequences in most cases. Just a ticket if they are caught and on their merry way.

I appreciate the cops doing their job, but how frustrating for them it must be to see the perps released before the shift ends.

I really need to quit reading the daily police reports.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The thing is they have to publish when/where they are going to be.  So as soon as that comes out, or someone sees it getting set up, it's all over FB, twitter, email, etc.  There are facebook pages dedicated to reporting these.

They back up traffic with a dozen cops (some on overtime), while the rest of town or county is left to fend for themselves.

I'm in Eureka, and they'll put these up on 109 near the Legends.  You can see it as soon as you crest the hill by Walgreens, so you can just make a right or left at the intersection, then drive around it on a side street.  What's the point???
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#6]
checkpoints are marginally constitutional so I'm ok with this.

As said above though, I'm not ok with drunk drivers getting off, penalties gotta be MUCH harsher for people to think twice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree. Drunk driving is horrible. These checkpoints are the biggest waste of taxpayer funds in my opinion.And against the 4th Admendment in every sense of the word. I remember a couple years ago results were listed from one that was in downtown KC over a weekend. IIRC, over 900 vehicles went through. Less than 50 arrests were made, and even less than that was for DUI. 23 IIRC.

If you've worked at a bar you know how tightly your hands are bound by the law. I legally can not take someone's keys if I feel they shouldn't be driving, or stop them from getting in to their vehicle. It's illegal for me to do so. All I can do is offer them, or call them a cab. If they choose to leave it's on them. Until they get pulled over, illegally interrogated And arrested. Then somehow it's the bars fault for letting them do this?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The law is wrong and antiquated.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No checkpoints needed. Just park a cruiser outside of known joints and catch 'em right as they first get on the road loaded to the gills.
View Quote
If they did that near Power & Light, young suburbanites would start avoiding it and then the city loses all that tax money. Much easier to set up on Independence Avenue and get those poor brown people while they're driving 3 or 4 blocks home from the liquor store. Then you get to keep the P&L tax money coming and say you're taking measures to combat drunken driving at the same time. Win-win.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A PROPERLY set up checkpoint will have a "chase vehicle" watching for turn arounds.

Until the JUDGES get on board it's "catch & release".

And yes, it's DAMN FRUSTRATING!

My .02....

If you drink & drive AND it results in someone dying, the charge should carry a mandatory Life sentence. You knew prior to drinking the possible consequences of your actions.

Think it's harsh? Re-evaluate your position AFTER you help extricate dead 3 yr old and 5 yr old sisters that were killed after a drunk driver plowed into their vehicle. You WANT to draw your weapon and administer justice right then and there. Unfortunately all you can do is read them their "rights" and arrest them.
View Quote
They do that out at the fake drug checkpoints......they set up signs and wait for people to exit, but then they have to wait for the person to run the stop sign.  How is it legal for them to pull me over just because I didn't go through their checkpoint?  What if I turned onto the side street to get gas at the Shell station?  In the age of social media, they're ineffective because people know where they are anyway.  How about posting checkpoint right by the bars??  Yeah, not going to happen since all the tax money comes from those places.  So they have to inconvenience me and violate my rights because they're not going to "$hit where they eat."  Absolute BS because of the hypocrisy......defund it and stay on patrol.

I don't think it's harsh--I was an EMS helicopter pilot for 10+ yrs which mostly comprised of saving the lives of the drunk, stoned, & stupid.  I was on many scenes where we flew the drunk that just wiped out a family, which left me questioning why I was out risking my life at 2am to save a murderer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If they did that near Power & Light, young suburbanites would start avoiding it and then the city loses all that tax money. Much easier to set up on Independence Avenue and get those poor brown people while they're driving 3 or 4 blocks home from the liquor store. Then you get to keep the P&L tax money coming and say you're taking measures to combat drunken driving at the same time. Win-win.
View Quote
In recent years, KC DUI checkpoints have most commonly been set up at Broadway Bridge (to catch P&L traffic and everybody coming from midtown), SW Trafficway (to catch Westport and Plaza), JC Nichols Pkwy near Plaza (to catch Westport and Plaza), and Main St (to catch Westport, Plaza, and P&L).

So your theory isn't correct.

Checkpoints have also been set up in the hood, but they are usually license checkpoints, and not DUI.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep. We have checkpoints regularly in the Northland.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep. We have checkpoints regularly in the Northland.
View Quote
Now they just drive up and down boardwalk and illegally pull people over
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Example of an illegal stop?

In thirty two years of being a "Cop" the only illegal stop I'm aware of occurred was when I was pulled over by KCMO P.D. because my 1996 Impala SS was outfitted with emergency lights (they weren't on).

And he received a lesson on RSMo and an ass chewing!
View Quote
no Probable cause? didn't actually break the traffic law? didn't do anything wrong
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Example of an illegal stop?

In thirty two years of being a "Cop" the only illegal stop I'm aware of occurred was when I was pulled over by KCMO P.D. because my 1996 Impala SS was outfitted with emergency lights (they weren't on).

And he received a lesson on RSMo and an ass chewing!
View Quote
I watched Platte County pull over 6 cars in front if the bar Friday night (cinco de mayo). At 1 point he finished 1 traffic stop, left the parking lot, did a u turn pulled another vehicle over then as that vehicle was leaving flagged another one down to pull over while still out of his vehicle. The patrol unit did not have mounted radar and each stop lasted less than 5 minutes, and most were even shorter than that. All vehicles had working lights as well.

Platte County is NOTORIOUS for pulling shit like this.

I want to add I'm not a cop basher. I come from a family of police. I've been in numerous ride a longs, and have the up most respect for the law........ For the most part. Until they start pulling shit like that and bending the rules as they see fit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Ask me how I know they have mounted radar . I know Highway Patrol runs them, the one my BIL had could read from 3 or 4 different places on the road.  KCPD may have a couple running around, but I think they're the license plate readers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In recent years, KC DUI checkpoints have most commonly been set up at Broadway Bridge (to catch P&L traffic and everybody coming from midtown), SW Trafficway (to catch Westport and Plaza), JC Nichols Pkwy near Plaza (to catch Westport and Plaza), and Main St (to catch Westport, Plaza, and P&L).

So your theory isn't correct.

Checkpoints have also been set up in the hood, but they are usually license checkpoints, and not DUI.
View Quote
Just citing my own personal observations from when I used to actually go to P&L, and before that when I hung out in Westport or NKC. I never once saw a checkpoint near any of those places but would see them near the Prospect/ Independence Avenue area after late night breakfast at Chubby's.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Check points are one of the most un american things or gov gets away with. Hopefully there'll be a lot less of them now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top