Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2017 5:01:49 PM EDT
Woke up this morning and noticed that I didn't hear my sump pump running. Looked down the stairs and sure as shit 4" of water in the basement!!! Checked the outlet and had power. Pump burned out during the night at some point. Ran to Rural King and grabbed one of the few pumps they had left got it plumbed(the water had come up almost 3" while at the store)and turned it on. New pump pumps 4800 gallons a minute, took almost 3 hours to get the water out!!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Rains here were horrid in the SW.

I'm new to this house but I know it flooded in 2011 due to the sump pump going out.  I know they also had to replace the sump pump before we purchased the house, so it's just a  year old.

Last week I got a water alarm ($12) and put it on the floor next to the sump and one of those small harbor freight generators specifically to run the pump.

As funds are available I'm getting a 12v backup pump.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Bone dry here. Next door neighbor wasn't so lucky. His gutters got backed up and caused it to overflow, which then seeped into his basement.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:. New pump pumps 4800 gallons a minute
View Quote
I'd check the specs again.  More than likely that's per hour and it has a bunch to do with how high and how many angles and pipe diameter you have in your system.

Check if you have a clog in your discharge pipe.  Pump may be working harder than it needs to.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bone dry here. Next door neighbor wasn't so lucky. His gutters got backed up and caused it to overflow, which then seeped into his basement.
View Quote
I also suffered gutter backup. We just moved in so I'm finding out all kinds if things as the weather changes
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL, 4800 a minute, and 3 hours to get the water out?

That's 864,000 gallons of water pumped.

An olympic sized swimming pool holds 660,430 gallons...

How big is your basement again?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a plain ol' drain in my basement floor.

And two inches of water.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a few little leaks, just some water trickling. I wasn't happy, but after seeing inches of water in other's basement, I'll shut up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I also suffered gutter backup. We just moved in so I'm finding out all kinds if things as the weather changes
View Quote
All the fun stuff to find out about a new home, is when the weather turns bad. 1 more week and I won't have to worry about basements ever again.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd check the specs again.  More than likely that's per hour and it has a bunch to do with how high and how many angles and pipe diameter you have in your system.

Check if you have a clog in your discharge pipe.  Pump may be working harder than it needs to.
View Quote
Yeah I meant an hour.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Pump ran twice over the past 2 days, about 30 seconds each time, just enough to wake me up....it had only run once before in the past 5 years.  If my pump failed...I would have to replace carpet, dry wall...don't even want to think about it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one fail about 8 years ago that was only about 2-3 years old.  a year after that I had another one's float fail.  Both were 1/4 horse so I said F that Tim Taylor time and bought a 1/2 horse and knock on wood this one has been running strong for 7+ years and probably runs everytime it rains as we have clay for soil.

So 2 things

1. get one with more than enough power
2. get a battery powered back up and/or a water alarm.  That little water frog $5 alarm saved me about 5 thousand dollars in repairs in the early morning 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had one fail about 8 years ago that was only about 2-3 years old.  a year after that I had another one's float fail.  Both were 1/4 horse so I said F that Tim Taylor time and bought a 1/2 horse and knock on wood this one has been running strong for 7+ years and probably runs everytime it rains as we have clay for soil.

So 2 things

1. get one with more than enough power
2. get a battery powered back up and/or a water alarm.  That little water frog $5 alarm saved me about 5 thousand dollars in repairs in the early morning 7 years ago.
View Quote
Can you tell me what water alarm you are using? I will surely be getting some kind of water alarm.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Brittnies basement was super wet the last couple days..  I promptly took care of that shit !!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Brittnies basement was super wet the last couple days..  I promptly took care of that shit !!
View Quote
Good man!!!! Good man!!!!LOL
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're on city water, look into a water driven backup sump pump. That way, you're not battery dependent.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#17]
No basement here, but the rain has been insane. I-44 and 63 were both closed due to flooding.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Zoeller cast iron sump pump is what you seek. So many builders put in a cheap ass lumber yard plastic pump. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can you tell me what water alarm you are using? I will surely be getting some kind of water alarm.
View Quote
Leak Frog  - My wife bought it and I laughed but sure enough that little green fucker saved my finished basement.

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Zoeller cast iron sump pump is what you seek. So many builders put in a cheap ass lumber yard plastic pump. Ask me how I know.
View Quote
I thought that too but that is the one that only lasted about 1 and 1/2 years on me.  The upper end Flotech ones from Home Depot have lasted the longest.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Sadly...I can contribute to this thread...
Out of town all last weekend, get home Sunday PM, go downstairs and hit the carpet to a wet "scqoooosh". Sump pump died. 1800 ft finished basement. What a buzz kill to a nice weekend.

Had made it a point to periodically check the pump, but not recently. So took M,T,W off, moved all contents up to garage, and cut out all the carpet and pad, hauled it outside, cut out the bottom 2' of drywall.  Pretty well dried out now after having 6 fans and a dehumidifier running all week. Will spray Concorbian today, insurance adjuster due here this morning. 5k endorsement with 1k deductible. ...hopefully.

I am by no means bitching, very minimal contents damage - just the carpet, drywall, and a lot of work. Could have been way worse. Have total respect for all those dealing with real flood damage.

So had new pump in right away. Backup 12v pump arrived and we'll get that put in today, FYI Cabelas has their AGM batteries on sale now. Need to order a water alarm...open to recommendations. ...something could hear upstairs, and/or reliably notify your phone if not home.

Good luck to all others dealing with this
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top