Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 7:26:02 PM EDT
The wife and I are wanting to take a short vacation this summer to do some canoeing and try to catch some fish.  We're looking for an outfit that would provide a basic cabin and canoe rental that would drop you off and pick you up.   Anyone have any recommendations?

I've floated several rivers in south MO, but fishing was never my intent...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Might check with these people. Jack's Fork and Current river.

http://www.currentrivercanoe.com/jfrfloats.html
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Upper Current and lower Jacks Fork are great fishing.  Upper Current would be the least amout of hazards and less dragging the canoe.   Harvey's Alley Spring Canoe rental is my recommendation for the best outfitter.   They're really great people.    Or you could borrow a couple kayaks from some dude you know that has a few......

A buddy & I did the upper Current a few years ago and caught more Smallmouth and Goggle-eye than you could count.
We put in at Two Rivers and floated to Blue Spring, it was a full day but not too bad.

Either way you go, if you're looking to get a peaceful day of fishing I'd go in the middle of the week or before Memorial and after Labor day.

http://www.harveysalleyspring.com/
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The wife and I are wanting to take a short vacation this summer to do some canoeing and try to catch some fish.  We're looking for an outfit that would provide a basic cabin and canoe rental that would drop you off and pick you up.   Anyone have any recommendations?

I've floated several rivers in south MO, but fishing was never my intent...
View Quote

Rental cabins aren't really much of a thing in Missouri . . . at least not along the rivers themselves. In fact, no new privately-owned structures have been built along the upper regions of the Current and Jack's Fork since the Scenic Riverways were adopted. In Missouri, overnight floaters typically carry their gear with them in the canoe and set up camp at an unoccupied gravel bar. That does not sound like the sort of adventure you're envisioning. (ETA: looking at a couple of websites I see that a bunch of canoe rentals have cabins. I guess I've just never paid much attention to cabins. Pick your river and then find liveries that have cabins.)

Your best bets are probably going to be on the Meramec River. The fishing for smallmouth bass is usually good and there are more commercial providers along or near the river. You might need to combine the services of a couple of providers. The Big Piney is also known for good smallmouth fishing.

All that said, call Wildwood Springs Lodge in Steelville. You could stay at the lodge or at one of about a half dozen cabins/houses the lodge owns. They work closely with a couple of the local canoe liveries. I bet they could work something out for you. There's lots of cool stuff to see and do in the area as well. (ETA: I believe Bass River Resort near Steelville offers cabins. You might check with them also.)

Another thought would be to check into the area around Bennett Spring State Park. Obviously, trout fishing is a given. You could float the Niangua and there's quite a few rental cabins in the area.

Check out this link. https://www.floatmissouri.com/

ETA: Wait . . . I remembered another one. Check out River of Life Farm/Treehouse cabins on the North Fork. Myron will take care of you . . . Treehouse cabins
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't stayed in one, but Bass River Resort (mentioned above) in Steelville does have a bunch of cabins.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all of the info.  I will check out all of your links.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Its in Northern Arkansas, but I have had good experiences with float trips out of Yellville.

http://www.buffaloriverfloatservice.com/
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or you could borrow a couple kayaks from some dude you know that has a few......
View Quote
If I did that, he'd probably expect me to return the custom yute 10-22 stock that I borra'ed a year ago.  Hard telling how much more crap of his that I have laying around.  Better let sleeping dogs lie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top