Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 6:06:22 PM EDT
Been waiting for 3 weeks for a price quote for a home from the current guy.  Tired of waiting.

*Edit*  I'm looking for someone to build a house.  I have both mortgage and construction loan approval.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol, not to be a dick, but you are looking for someone to give you an estimate on a  home build in the busiest season of the year, in three weeks or less. Do you have prints, are they stamped, are you 100% serious or are you kicking tires? By now you should know the general budget you want to be within, does the contractor know that?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking to be acting gc of said build? If so, most wouldn't touch it during the good months.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol, not to be a dick, but you are looking for someone to give you an estimate on a  home build in the busiest season of the year, in three weeks or less. Do you have prints, are they stamped, are you 100% serious or are you kicking tires? By now you should know the general budget you want to be within, does the contractor know that?
View Quote
1.  I'm not kicking tires.

2.  He set expectations on when I would get the estimate, then didn't hold true.

3.  If he broke those expectations without resetting, how can I trust him to build a house?

3.  He told me where to go to get prints, and I did as he asked.

4.  I've never built a home and have only dealt with this guy.

5.  No, I have no clue how to build a home, and don't want to be my own GC.

6.  Why the hell would you think I'd go through the hurdles to get both mortage and construction loan approval to just kick tires?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
It wasn't personal, I'm a contractor by trade and we do get that plenty of times a year. If he has given you a time he should have stayed true to it no doubt, you're correct on shitty communication, I wouldn't want him to build for me either.

ETA: Try 3 different builders and let them know you will be getting other quotes. Putting together a contract can take a bit of time if the builder is unfamiliar with a print.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It wasn't personal, I'm a contractor by trade and we do get that plenty of times a year. If he has given you a time he should have stayed true to it no doubt, you're correct on shitty communication, I wouldn't want him to build for me either.

ETA: Try 3 different builders and let them know you will be getting other quotes. Putting together a contract can take a bit of time if the builder is unfamiliar with a print.
View Quote
This guy told me 1.5 weeks for a quote.  3+ weeks later, I've still got nothing.  He called last night and said his wife would have a proposal to me by the end of the night... Here we are on Tuesday, still nothing.

I've contacted 10 contractors all on the BBB yesterday...  Three have responded so far.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never used his services but Jay Brown construction has a pretty good name around here, smaller outfit. I have a buddy that has a construction/property business in these parts but I'll contact him to see how busy he is before giving you contact info as I don't want to waste your time.  Stay away from HTL contracting(if they are even in business still. Likes to take the money and run.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
What a joke... Waited 3 weeks and finally got the most generic quote I've ever seen... Keep in mind, I have 15+ years of corporate purchasing experience prior to owning my own businesses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used Al Thurman (Country Hills) a couple times and have been pleased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top