Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2017 11:54:13 PM EDT
My wife and I are moving to Overland Park, Kansas. Actually probably Leawood, which is right on the state line. We will probably be doing a lot of shopping in MO, especially since there is no sales tax on groceries. Considering how much time I will be spending on the MO side, I sure would like an MO carry permit, to protect myself from GFSZs. Can Kansans or out of staters get carry permits in MO?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Just get a license  for Kansas. It has reciprocity with

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Both Kansas and Missouri have constitutional carry, so if those are the only two states you will visit you are probably gtg.. (I think)  I am a Missouri resident and we stayed at a hotel in Kansas for a while due to home damage, and the way I read it, I did not have to be a Kansas resident to constitutional carry.  Only legally able to posses a gun. I have not read up on if a non resident can constitutional carry in Missouri.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Both Kansas and Missouri have constitutional carry, so if those are the only two states you will visit you are probably gtg.. (I think)  I am a Missouri resident and we stayed at a hotel in Kansas for a while due to home damage, and the way I read it, I did not have to be a Kansas resident to constitutional carry.  Only legally able to posses a gun. I have not read up on if a non resident can constitutional carry in Missouri.
View Quote
I took a quick look at Missouri's CCW statutes and it appears that for a MO permit, one must be resident of MO or a member of the armed forces.  I didn't see any provisions for a non-resident permit.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/57100001011.html

For most purposes, I believe OP could rely on MO's constitutional carry.  He specifically mentioned school zones, though, which do require a permit from the state you are in.  I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for that and practically everyone who has carried out of state has passed through school zones.  It does seem like a good idea to get an in state permit if you're going to do that frequently, but I don't know of any way that OP can.

It is probably worth while to get some kind of permit that Missouri will recognize, though, because of the off-limits places.  With a permit, one is subject to removal but it is not a criminal act to carry in these places.  Without a permit it is a misdemeanor. See below for a list of the off-limits places.  Be sure to read subsection 2 near the bottom.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/57100001071.html

Oh, and congrats on escaping California, OP!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Turbo is spot on. Get a Kansas permit and you'll be good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Gas is also cheaper in Missouri.  Leawood is a nice area.  I work not too far from there.  There is a lot of soccer mom traffic in the area.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Antero,

Welcome to Leawood. You will have no issues carrying in KS or MO but I would recommend getting you KS CCP. IA and NE are both a stones throw from KS and MO as well if you travel elsewhere. Welcome to the red states and to a land where conservative values are the majority. In addition to groceries you may find other options less expensive on the MO side. Gas is usually .05 to .10 less expensive as well, look for QuikTrip stations. They are clean, well stocked, and employee educated, English speaking associates who actually appreciate your business! Just don't go the during the lunch hour as they are covered up w customers!

You will see a dramatic difference in crime between Leawood/OP and across the state line in South KC ( stay in the Marin City or along State Line and your fine) venture farther east into Grandview and there will be some pretty sketchy areas.

Welcome to the Midwest!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top