Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2017 12:45:20 PM EDT
Both my buddy and I have permits from other states.  We're both hunters and comfortable/familiar w/ firearms [as sportsmen and for defense].

We want to find a MO course to be licensed here and have the new benefits from the new law.  

We're in the St Louis area.

There isn't a clearing house where the class options are all accumulated and rather than spend hours chasing them down, I thought what better place to ask what is out there and who do you recommend [even if it is yourself].  Like to get this behind us before spring weather and turkey season.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a permit from another state I'm pretty sure you are good to go, at least for carry in Missouri. Some states don't recognize permits from a state you are not a resident of but last I knew you are good HERE with a permit from any other state.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a permit from another state I'm pretty sure you are good to go, at least for carry in Missouri. Some states don't recognize permits from a state you are not a resident of but last I knew you are good HERE with a permit from any other state.
View Quote

There was another thread on the new laws which just went into effect and to have the expanded privileges one has to carry a MO CCW not another state's.  

My FL permit allows me to CC here but not the expanded rights.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
What "expanded rights" are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
There are the "prohibited places" listed in RSMO 571.107.

It is not a crime to carry in these places with an out of state permit, or a Missouri permit. It is a minimum class B misdemeanor to carry in these places under the new permitless carry law, if carrying without a permit.

If you have a Missouri permit, you are exempt from the Federal Gun Free School Zone law, for Missouri schools. If you have a gun in a school zone without a permit from that state, it is a federal offense.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Both my buddy and I have permits from other states.  We're both hunters and comfortable/familiar w/ firearms [as sportsmen and for defense].

We want to find a MO course to be licensed here and have the new benefits from the new law.  

There isn't a clearing house where the class options are all accumulated and rather than spend hours chasing them down, I thought what better place to ask what is out there and who do you recommend [even if it is yourself].  Like to get this behind us before spring weather and turkey season.  

Thanks
View Quote

Are you a Missouri resident, with a non resident permit from another state, or did you move here, and you have a permit from your previous state? If it is the latter, your permit is no good.

There is really nothing to benefit a permit holder with the new law. Everything stayed the same for a permit holder, unless you are talking about the new extended and lifetime permits. I would stick with the 5 year permit. Lifetime and extended permits won't be recognized by other states if you travel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is really nothing to benefit a permit holder with the new law. Everything stayed the same for a permit holder, unless you are talking about the new extended and lifetime permits.
View Quote

I've read that there are restricted places that carrying with a permit you can be charged with trespass, but without a permit you can be charged with a crime.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've read that there are restricted places that carrying with a permit you can be charged with trespass, but without a permit you can be charged with a crime.
View Quote

See the 17 places listed in the statute I posted above. In all of those places, you can be charged with trespassing, AND receive a "slap on the hand", in the form of fines and possible permit suspension, when carrying with a permit. None of this changed with the new law, it has always been this way for permit holders, at least as long as I've been teaching CCW.

Carrying in these places, under "constitutional carry", can get you a minimum class B misdemeanor. Carrying in a school zone without a permit, will also get you a federal charge.

The only absolutely illegal places to carry, with a permit are; Federal property, public transportation, post office property, and Indian reservations.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you a Missouri resident, with a non resident permit from another state, or did you move here, and you have a permit from your previous state? If it is the latter, your permit is no good.

There is really nothing to benefit a permit holder with the new law. Everything stayed the same for a permit holder, unless you are talking about the new extended and lifetime permits. I would stick with the 5 year permit. Lifetime and extended permits won't be recognized by other states if you travel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Looking for some clarification.... Why does it matter whether the individual has a 'non-resident permit from another state' or recently moved here and retained their out of state permit? Does MO statue specify MO residents must have MO permits? My understanding either is allowed specifically under RSMO 571.030.1 "Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, a valid concealed carry endorsement issued before August 28, 2013, or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state."
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you have a Missouri permit, you are exempt from the Federal Gun Free School Zone law, for Missouri schools. If you have a gun in a school zone without a permit from that state, it is a federal offense.
View Quote

Here's one instance where it matters.

Edit: @NegativeDust  I only have a Florida permit, so whenever I need to take my grandkids to school I have to leave my gun at home.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looking for some clarification.... Why does it matter whether the individual has a 'non-resident permit from another state' or recently moved here and retained their out of state permit? Does MO statue specify MO residents must have MO permits? My understanding either is allowed specifically under RSMO 571.030.1 "Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, a valid concealed carry endorsement issued before August 28, 2013, or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state."
View Quote

If you moved here, and did not change the address on the out of state permit to your current address, the permit is invalid. If memory serves me correctly.

That is the only reason I ask.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Boone county sheriffs office said I was good to go until my current CCW expires from my original home state.
I am a resident of MO now.
I would like this to be cleared up cause I carry 24/7 outside of work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Edit: @NegativeDust  I only have a Florida permit, so whenever I need to take my grandkids to school I have to leave my gun at home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, I can find no mention in USC or RSMO of requiring a MO permit to be exempt from 'Gun Free School Zones'. My understanding is permits are regulated at the state level and MO recognizes all states permits with the same "privileges" provided there's reciprocity. My understanding is regardless of permit/ no permit you are safe to bring firearm onto school property as long as it remains in your vehicle...

Section 571.107.1...A concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, a valid concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize the person in whose name the permit or endorsement is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state. No concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, valid concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:
              (10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board, unless the person with the concealed carry endorsement or permit is a teacher or administrator of an elementary or secondary school who has been designated by his or her school district as a school protection officer and is carrying a firearm in a school within that district, in which case no consent is required. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Boone county sheriffs office said I was good to go until my current CCW expires from my original home state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see no mention in MO law that states your CCW license must reflect your current address. Only that you must provide your address when applying or renewing... and the law is all that matters. So if I were you, I would have no concerns carrying concealed until your current license expires or they change the law.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Again, I can find no mention in USC or RSMO of requiring a MO permit to be exempt from 'Gun Free School Zones'. My understanding is permits are regulated at the state level and MO recognizes all states permits with the same "privileges" provided there's reciprocity. My understanding is regardless of permit/ no permit you are safe to bring firearm onto school property as long as it remains in your vehicle...

Section 571.107.1...A concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, a valid concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize the person in whose name the permit or endorsement is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state. No concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, valid concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:
              (10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board, unless the person with the concealed carry endorsement or permit is a teacher or administrator of an elementary or secondary school who has been designated by his or her school district as a school protection officer and is carrying a firearm in a school within that district, in which case no consent is required. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;
View Quote

That's because the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act is FEDERAL LAW, Missouri law has nothing to do with it.

The federal code is where you get the exemption for permit holders, for schools in the state that the permit is issued from.

I have a Mo. and Arizona permit. This means I'm good for schools in Mo. and Az.

You have to remember. There are Federal laws, state laws, county and city ordinances. You are correct, as far as Mo. law is concerned, schools are just a "prohibited place", but, we are talking about federal law.

Mo. statutes also don't make any mention of federal property being more that prohibited, because it is federal law.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see no mention in MO law that states your CCW license must reflect your current address. Only that you must provide your address when applying or renewing... and the law is all that matters. So if I were you, I would have no concerns carrying concealed until your current license expires or they change the law.
View Quote

Mo. is most certainly concerned with a change of address. Now, this section specifies a county to county change, but I imagine that they want your actual address on any CCW permit.

Just because the sheriff of your county says your good to go, doesn't mean another sheriff,  MSHP, county or state prosecutor, won't  think differently. It's all fine and good if you get stopped in his county by his officers, but what if you get stopped somewhere else? In my experience, a law enforcement officer, even a sheriff, is not someone I would ask legal advice of.

RSMO 571.101

5. Any person issued a concealed carry permit pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, or a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, shall notify the sheriff of the new jurisdiction of the permit or endorsement holder's change of residence within thirty days after the changing of a permanent residence to a location outside the county of permit issuance. The permit or endorsement holder shall furnish proof to the sheriff in the new jurisdiction that the permit or endorsement holder has changed his or her residence. The sheriff in the new jurisdiction shall notify the sheriff in the old jurisdiction of the permit holder's change of address and the sheriff in the old jurisdiction shall transfer any information on file for the permit holder to the sheriff in the new jurisdiction within thirty days. The sheriff of the new jurisdiction may charge a processing fee of not more than ten dollars for any costs associated with notification of a change in residence. The sheriff shall report the residence change to the concealed carry permit system, take possession and destroy the old permit, and then issue a new permit to the permit holder. The new address shall be accessible by the concealed carry permit system within three days of receipt of the information. If the person has a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, the endorsement holder shall also furnish proof to the department of revenue of his or her residence change. In such cases, the change of residence shall be made by the department of revenue onto the individual's driving record.

I also imagine the Issuing state would be concerned with an address change as well. Might want to look at the laws for the state you moved from. The wrong address on your permit, might make it invalid as far as the issuing states laws.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's because the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act is FEDERAL LAW, Missouri law has nothing to do with it.

The federal code is where you get the exemption for permit holders, for schools in the state that the permit is issued from.

I have a Mo. and Arizona permit. This means I'm good for schools in Mo. and Az.

You have to remember. There are Federal laws, state laws, county and city ordinances. You are correct, as far as Mo. law is concerned, schools are just a "prohibited place", we are talking about federal law.

Mo. statutes also don't make any mention of federal property being more that prohibited, because it is federal law.
View Quote
That is partially correct. Exemption (iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

Further I would argue intent of the law: (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State (as long as you are not a prohibited person, you are authorized to possess firearms in MO, We don't require licenses) in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license

In addition, there is substantial case law restricting what businesses and government entities can restrict within vehicles on private property. So far none have made it SCOTUS that I know of...but full disclosure, I am not qualified to give anyone legal advise.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is partially correct. Exemption (iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

Further I would argue intent of the law: (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State (as long as you are not a prohibited person, you are authorized to possess firearms in MO, We don't require licenses) in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, AND the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license

In addition, there is substantial case law restricting what businesses and government entities can restrict within vehicles on private property. So far none have made it SCOTUS that I know of...but full disclosure, I am not qualified to give anyone legal advise.
View Quote

That's the catch right there. The "and" part trumps the "2nd amendment is my permit" argument

They are essentially requiring that the state has some sort of licensing or permitting system in place. Be it for gun possession, or concealed carry, they want you verified by the authorities in some way.

If you live in a state that has no system at all in place, then you are screwed, as far as school zones are concerned.

Remember, this law was enacted at a time when a lot less states had a concealed carry law or other licensing system in place.

Missouri's biggest gun rights lawyer teaches that you need a permit, from the state that the school is contained in, to be exempt from this law.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#19]
R3drid3r thank you for attending yesterday. I appreciate you guys taking time to be better informed about concealed carry and self-defense.

67firebird - thanks for the bump.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mo. is most certainly concerned with a change of address. Now, this section specifies a county to county change, but I imagine that they want your actual address on any CCW permit.

Just because the sheriff of your county says your good to go, doesn't mean another sheriff,  MSHP, county or state prosecutor, won't  think differently. It's all fine and good if you get stopped in his county by his officers, but what if you get stopped somewhere else? In my experience, a law enforcement officer, even a sheriff, is not someone I would ask legal advice of.

RSMO 571.101

5. Any person issued a concealed carry permit pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, or a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, shall notify the sheriff of the new jurisdiction of the permit or endorsement holder's change of residence within thirty days after the changing of a permanent residence to a location outside the county of permit issuance. The permit or endorsement holder shall furnish proof to the sheriff in the new jurisdiction that the permit or endorsement holder has changed his or her residence. The sheriff in the new jurisdiction shall notify the sheriff in the old jurisdiction of the permit holder's change of address and the sheriff in the old jurisdiction shall transfer any information on file for the permit holder to the sheriff in the new jurisdiction within thirty days. The sheriff of the new jurisdiction may charge a processing fee of not more than ten dollars for any costs associated with notification of a change in residence. The sheriff shall report the residence change to the concealed carry permit system, take possession and destroy the old permit, and then issue a new permit to the permit holder. The new address shall be accessible by the concealed carry permit system within three days of receipt of the information. If the person has a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, the endorsement holder shall also furnish proof to the department of revenue of his or her residence change. In such cases, the change of residence shall be made by the department of revenue onto the individual's driving record.

I also imagine the Issuing state would be concerned with an address change as well. Might want to look at the laws for the state you moved from. The wrong address on your permit, might make it invalid as far as the issuing states laws.
View Quote

Best bet would be to make a trip to buddy's to take the course and re-qual for MO, just so I don't have a headache on my hands here.
Thanks for the help and info
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
R3drid3r thank you for attending yesterday. I appreciate you guys taking time to be better informed about concealed carry and self-defense.

View Quote

RJTCCW

It was my and my buddies pleasure.  

Great training and fun to boot.  I had FL ccw training and another guy had UT training and both of us believe this was far better.  

We're talking about doing the advanced class together as well.  

Anyone wanting training I can highly recommend RJTCCW!

All the Best,
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top