Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2017 2:00:13 AM EDT
Heading over to look at 6 homes in that area tomorrow.  

The reality of leaving IL is coming closer and closer!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:16:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice....  Love that area!!! Its about 30 mins North of me...

You'llnt bo e far from a great range...  http://www.67gunclub.org/
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll be in my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations!  My daughter may be moving to Illinois for her job. If she gets the offer it's way too important to her career to pass up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
That's just south of where I grew up.

I wouldn't mind living in that area.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the homes I looked at must have been a stone's throw from the 67 Range...  I could hear plenty of gunfire from the property.

Unfortunately, only one of the homes I looked at was as represented in the photos, and the downside to that house was it was on a slab foundation, and I really want a basement.

I've looked at every home on the multiple listing service (online only) in an arc from Cape G, over to Union/Pacific, and up to Troy, MO...  There's just not a lot out there that appeals to me.

I may wind up needing to build something.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may wind up needing to build something.
View Quote

That's always a good thing to do, if you can find the right property.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:56:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's always a good thing to do, if you can find the right property.
View Quote

Stone Creek Rd

It's hard to find anything via Zillow, Realtor.com, or even the actual Multiple Listing Service.

Found these lots, as you can see by the Google Map, there's several left... 3 acre lots, $16k asking price each.  Charter is available, which means most likely there's public water/sewer too.

ETA:  How busy is the Farmington airport?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Stone Creek Rd

It's hard to find anything via Zillow, Realtor.com, or even the actual Multiple Listing Service.

Found these lots, as you can see by the Google Map, there's several left... 3 acre lots, $16k asking price each.  Charter is available, which means most likely there's public water/sewer too.

ETA:  How busy is the Farmington airport?
View Quote
I can't imagine its that busy...  I've never heard of anyone using it and we don't see many planes down here...  I'm guessing all or mostly small 2-6 passenger prop planes in and out of there...

You need to find a realtor that knows the area...   If you'd like, I can get the number of the lady we used... 

We told her what things we wanted, had to have and would like and how much we wanted to spend and a few days later she had 6-8 places... 

The place we ended up with was actually the 1st we had looked and she actually found it on Zillow.... 

It had been for sale for several years...  They'd put it on the market for 2-3 months then pull it for 6, reduce the price a good chunk then relist...  Thankfully, they finally dropped it down to where we could hagel with them a bit and and afford it... 

Its probably not much to other folks and its not real fancy, but coming from the Hood, its pretty much my dream house...  If I could just afford to build a 30x40 Pole barn out back!!!!  I'd be shitting in tall cotton...  :)
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't imagine its that busy...  I've never heard of anyone using it and we don't see many planes down here...  I'm guessing all or mostly small 2-6 passenger prop planes in and out of there...

You need to find a realtor that knows the area...   If you'd like, I can get the number of the lady we used... 

We told her what things we wanted, had to have and would like and how much we wanted to spend and a few days later she had 6-8 places... 

The place we ended up with was actually the 1st we had looked and she actually found it on Zillow.... 

It had been for sale for several years...  They'd put it on the market for 2-3 months then pull it for 6, reduce the price a good chunk then relist...  Thankfully, they finally dropped it down to where we could hagel with them a bit and and afford it... 

Its probably not much to other folks and its not real fancy, but coming from the Hood, its pretty much my dream house...  If I could just afford to build a 30x40 Pole barn out back!!!!  I'd be shitting in tall cotton...  :)
View Quote

You're probably right.  My realtor is from Festus, and just e-mailed me tonight asking if I was looking elsewhere, like Festus, Hillsboro, etc.  I told him I didn't have anything good or bad to say about that area, as I couldn't find any homes that interested me.

I did find, thanks to Google Earth, three builders in the Farmington area.  Not hard to look at the overhead and pick out the burgeoning subdivisions.  Wound up speaking to Mark Bonney, of Bonney Construction today.  Was a hell of a nice guy, and a fellow firearms and drag racing enthusiast.  Mark told me his going rate is $112k + the lot cost, and that's no short cuts.  So, he's going to try and help me locate a lot to build on in the Farmington/Bonne Terre/Desloge area.  That'll get me close to the 67 Gun Club and the Bonne Terre drag strip.  Talk about shitting in tall cotton.    My two favorite hobbies within minutes!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You're probably right.  My realtor is from Festus, and just e-mailed me tonight asking if I was looking elsewhere, like Festus, Hillsboro, etc.  I told him I didn't have anything good or bad to say about that area, as I couldn't find any homes that interested me.

I did find, thanks to Google Earth, three builders in the Farmington area.  Not hard to look at the overhead and pick out the burgeoning subdivisions.  Wound up speaking to Mark Bonney, of Bonney Construction today.  Was a hell of a nice guy, and a fellow firearms and drag racing enthusiast.  Mark told me his going rate is $112k + the lot cost, and that's no short cuts.  So, he's going to try and help me locate a lot to build on in the Farmington/Bonne Terre/Desloge area.  That'll get me close to the 67 Gun Club and the Bonne Terre drag strip.  Talk about shitting in tall cotton.    My two favorite hobbies within minutes!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on...  Sounds like its starting to come together for ya, thats great!!! 

Honestly, I love the area, (I'm sure there are a few Dicks, but) everyone I meet is really cool, pretty much every store/business I go to has from pretty good to Great service....  Everything I really need within under an
hour...  I'm good...  I do wish there were a few more Employment opportunities...  My job is ending this year sometime and I've got no clue what I'm going to do...

Anyway, keep us posted and let us know how it goes..  I'm sure there are a handful of us that'd be glad to meet up with you, take ya to the Gun Club to show ya around, grab a beer or two... 
There are several good Mexican joints for such a small area and an interesting place in Downtown Farmington called The Salted Duck...  Great Duck Fat Fries and other things on the menu with Smoked Duck worked in...   Just something different...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top