Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2017 11:02:45 PM EDT
Figured I post here first to get a local perspective.

I've had my instructor status for a few years and want to start a hobby business with firearms training.  Looked at doing CCW classes, but I can't beat the price of some local shops and don't want to jump into teaching self defense law off the bat.  I really wanted to start with First Steps, but the NRA discontinued that.  So all I am left to start with is teaching Basic Pistol to small groups (1-4).

My fear is that most people would rather take the CCW course than Basic Pistol since it covers the same info in a condensed version.  I'd also offer coaching to help with stance, trigger control, etc. on an hourly rate if asked, but would start them out in the BP course.

Is Basic Pistol kinda pointless now?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:30:29 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I hear it's changing again. The blended learning was pretty much universally disliked and will not be missed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I think this would still be a good idea.  Depends on how you get your target audience to sign up, if they see the value in it, based on what you are going to charge.  Will you then offer a discount on your CCW class...etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think this would still be a good idea.  Depends on how you get your target audience to sign up, if they see the value in it, based on what you are going to charge.  Will you then offer a discount on your CCW class...etc.
View Quote

I'm in this for the love of the sport and to have some gun/training money, so I'd try to make it very reasonable.  Not trying to make a living off it, just feed my habit.
Target audience would be brand new shooters, maybe even pander towards women and young adults.  I'm pretty approachable and far from Tier One, so I think that will put a lot of people at ease.  

If I do start CCW, I may cut a deal.  Plan right now is to expand to Rifle and maybe Personal Protection, so I could offer discounts for repeat customers.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I hear it's changing again. The blended learning was pretty much universally disliked and will not be missed.
View Quote

that online shit was horrible for someone who knows something about guns.  However for someone who knows nothing about weapons, it isn't bad.  What sucks is 60 dollars for 8 hours of bullshit and a book that is simply a rehashing of the 8 hours of bullshit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top