Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2017 8:58:28 PM EDT
I've been pre-approved to move out of the dump of IL, and I'm looking for homes in two places... SE MO, and DFW TX.

Looked on Realtor.com at the most popular cities, which oddly enough, Poplar Bluff was one.  Looking at homes, and some of them are really nice, and well priced for what you get.... But, oddly, some of them have sat for sale for hundreds of days...

I'm confused at what's going on down there?  Is there no internet?  No cable tv?  What makes that town unpopular?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been there in years, but I'd guess there's not enough jobs. I like the area, because it's close to Lake Wappapello.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been pre-approved to move out of the dump of IL, and I'm looking for homes in two places... SE MO, and DFW TX.

Looked on Realtor.com at the most popular cities, which oddly enough, Poplar Bluff was one.  Looking at homes, and some of them are really nice, and well priced for what you get.... But, oddly, some of them have sat for sale for hundreds of days...

I'm confused at what's going on down there?  Is there no internet?  No cable tv?  What makes that town unpopular?
View Quote

Use to have family down that way.....had some land out past the golf course.  I'm not sure what industry is down there (I think Briggs and Stratton).  There is a VA hospital.  There are some area's of that town that are run down, like any other town and it's only like 6-7 miles to AR..that might be it .  I think you would enjoy the area...close to wapello lake just up 67, national forest around also.  You would be in a great state with gun laws for sure  I think you would like it....my $.02 away.

If you like traffic...move to DFW.  Fuck that.  Plus....you better like it hot.  Worked down there for 6 months before in the summer time....melted tapes in my car....took 1/2hr to cool the car off...that's how hot it gets.

Those are totally different area's to be thinking about....so not sure what you are looking for....urban or rural...I'd go with PB.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not close to anything.  The "lake" is really just a mud puddle.  Move further West.  I spent the first 33 years of my life in SEMO, now I'm in SWMO and wouldn't move back for anything.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:34:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've not been too ""The Bluff"" as everyone around here refers to it, but the city proper, I hear its getting pretty shitty..  Lots of Drugs, crime, etc...  Lots of bad element moving in... 

I would not move to the city part, but if you can get something on the outskirts North of it or even south of it, something with a few acres, I think you'd be OK...

Are you retiring, do you need to work, what industry??? Or do you have that lined up in the two places you mentioned???  What about kids/Schools??? 

To my knowledge there is not a lot to do (other than outdoor sports/hobbies)  around there for at least an hour drive or more...  You'd be driving over to Cape or back North up to St. Louis for any shopping other than Groceries and Walmart...  

We just bought a place, I'd guess an hour and a half North of there, but I'm not in town, on the outskirts...  I love living out a bit, where we can shoot, ride ATVs and not have neighbors calling the cops on us every time we get loud...

Also, I would get a list of potential places you're interested in, take a weekend and drive down there and take a  look at some of them, drive around and see what its all about...  Everyone will have a different opinion on whats good and not...  Depends on what you're looking for...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm totally dissatisfied with near every place I've been looking... MO, and the SW in general.

Seems like the trend since 1985 has been to move to tiny lots with small/mid sized homes.  Majority of homes I'm seeing are what I'd call "track homes" that are stacked on top of each other.  My budget is preferrably $150k, max of $180k.  Like I said, some of the PB look damn attractive, price, size, and land... But they have sat forever, which concerns me if I decide to move.

As for my needs...

Business owner.  Business requires nothing more than high speed internet and a USPS office.

Never married, no kids that I know about.  Just me, and maybe a dag.

Drag racer (7 second ride), so I need a decent garage.  Would prefer 24x24, but those are hard to find.  Also want some place I can park my 28' enclosed trailer.

2 bed, 2 bath, basement preferred. 1000-1300 sq ft home.

ETA:  I was originally going to move to MO, then I started thinking more about my allergies and arthritis, which is bad at the age of 46.  So, I started looking further South, and SW.  Apparently, DFW is worse than MO on allergies, but the winter is mild, which I like that...  Denver is one of the best cities to live in for allergies, has a lot of sun, and while cold in the winter, doesn't feel real cold (I have friends there).  However, Colorado as a whole is lost to the libs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Beauty isn't the issue.  There's plenty of beauty around MO... The problem is allergies and arthritis.  I need to go somewhere to alleviate those issues.

I wake up feeling just as tired as when I went to bed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seguin Texas is really nice in mid winter, as in shirt sleeves in open cockpit airplanes.  It's green, and it's flat, but just a little west toward Boerne is the south end of the Texas Hills Country where it's a little more arid.

Your only relief from allergies might out west in the Rockies where the warm weather season is short.
View Quote

Allergies

While that is a fall 2016 allergy report, it should be relevant to all seasons in a given area, I would think.

Dallas is the 23rd worst.
St. Louis is the 38th worst.

So for me to move from STL metro to DFW, I may be jumping out of the pot.

I want nothing to do with the East coast, and I'm too young for Florida.

So, that leaves the Southwest, which, while it has plenty of land available, they still have decided to stack homes one on top of the other.  Why they just don't build condos is beyond my comprehension.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
What about looking at something along 55?  You might like Jackson....I'd stay out of Cape Girardeau, just because it's Cape Girardeau
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm totally dissatisfied with near every place I've been looking... MO, and the SW in general.

Seems like the trend since 1985 has been to move to tiny lots with small/mid sized homes.  Majority of homes I'm seeing are what I'd call "track homes" that are stacked on top of each other.  My budget is preferrably $150k, max of $180k.  Like I said, some of the PB look damn attractive, price, size, and land... But they have sat forever, which concerns me if I decide to move.

As for my needs...

Business owner.  Business requires nothing more than high speed internet and a USPS office.

Never married, no kids that I know about.  Just me, and maybe a dag.

Drag racer (7 second ride), so I need a decent garage.  Would prefer 24x24, but those are hard to find.  Also want some place I can park my 28' enclosed trailer.

2 bed, 2 bath, basement preferred. 1000-1300 sq ft home.

ETA:  I was originally going to move to MO, then I started thinking more about my allergies and arthritis, which is bad at the age of 46.  So, I started looking further South, and SW.  Apparently, DFW is worse than MO on allergies, but the winter is mild, which I like that...  Denver is one of the best cities to live in for allergies, has a lot of sun, and while cold in the winter, doesn't feel real cold (I have friends there).  However, Colorado as a whole is lost to the libs.
View Quote

Consider Nashville, TN or one of the smaller towns outside of it.  Your budget might be borderline for that, but the cost of living is low, and the tax situation is favorable.  Better economy too.  Low property tax, and they don't assess property tax on stuff like boats, ATVs, or other toys, at least they didn't last I heard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What about looking at something along 55?  You might like Jackson....I'd stay out of Cape Girardeau, just because it's Cape Girardeau
View Quote

If this had high speed internet access, I'd buy it today.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/555-State-Highway-CC_Jackson_MO_63755_M88840-58019#photo18
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Consider Nashville, TN or one of the smaller towns outside of it.  Your budget might be borderline for that, but the cost of living is low, and the tax situation is favorable.  Better economy too.  Low property tax, and they don't assess property tax on stuff like boats, ATVs, or other toys, at least they didn't last I heard.
View Quote

Again, it's on par with STL metro with horrible allergy seasons.  I'm wanting to get away from allergies, not move further into them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
That is way out there. Apple Creek conservation area has a unmanned shooting range. I live in Cape and hopefully moving some where between Jackson and Perryville this year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Found my home in  SWMO.  Enjoy it here.  High speed internet is hard to get outside of town.  Here I have radio link 9MB down and 2MB up.  It's pretty reliable though and with some router tweaks we can stream movies on two devices.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Have you looked at using cellular service?  If you can get an unlimited account, Verizon has some pretty good speeds.  You would have to test at your housing location, but I would look into it.  5g is coming also, so I would keep this in mind when thinking you have to have "high speed".  As far as expense.....I pay $65 a month just for charter...but you can get some unlimited lines for about $100 more.  How much bandwidth do you really need....also, does it really have to be "High Speed"...You know they just upped what is considered "high speed" last year to 25meg down.

That area is nice...I've been out that way a time or two.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have you looked at using cellular service?  If you can get an unlimited account, Verizon has some pretty good speeds.  You would have to test at your housing location, but I would look into it.  5g is coming also, so I would keep this in mind when thinking you have to have "high speed".  As far as expense.....I pay $65 a month just for charter...but you can get some unlimited lines for about $100 more.  How much bandwidth do you really need....also, does it really have to be "High Speed"...You know they just upped what is considered "high speed" last year to 25meg down.

That area is nice...I've been out that way a time or two.  
View Quote

In the winter, I not only reload, but do online gaming.  Latency is horrible on satellite, and it's a pain in the butt when trying to ship orders out in volume.  Click, wait, click, wait...  Turns a three hour job into a four hour job.  I want to work smarter, not harder, or longer.

Planning for 5g is nice, but how long before that rolls out?  Before I buy a house, or before I retire?  I can't plan on mights, or might nots.

So, I'm narrowing the locations down... I'm still keeping MO open, but also looking at Denver/Colorado Springs, DFW/Terrell TX, and Ocala FL.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I have never heard a noncommercial basement in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
What about Union, Labadie, Grey Summit, MO?

Anything good/bad/indifferent in those areas?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I would agree with AeroE, though I don't live in MO, just across the state line in AR, I use the Poplar Bluff VA, and I'm in West Plains all the time.  If I could choose which to live in it would definitely be West Plains.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What about Union, Labadie, Grey Summit, MO?

Anything good/bad/indifferent in those areas?
View Quote

I used to live in Villa Ridge, between Gray Summit and Union, and I loved it there. Good internet (Charter Cable), country enough that I used to host shoots, and shot deer from the back deck, but close enough to cities that everything is pretty convenient. (About 35 miles SW of St. Louis).
    We took care of most needs in Union and Washington, avoiding St. Louis when we could. (I don't like cities).
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I used to live in Villa Ridge, between Gray Summit and Union, and I loved it there. Good internet (Charter Cable), country enough that I used to host shoots, and shot deer from the back deck, but close enough to cities that everything is pretty convenient. (About 35 miles SW of St. Louis).
    We took care of most needs in Union and Washington, avoiding St. Louis when we could. (I don't like cities).
View Quote

Well, I've found two homes in Union I'm going to get more info on, and another across the state in Stockton.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#24]
OP If I were you I'd look at areas 10-20 miles outside of the EDGE of a city's suburbs.  For example.  

St. Louis area north and west - look in Lincoln county, Warren county as they but up against the suburban sprawl of out of St. louis into St Charles county and you're less than an hour away from anything you'd need in St. louis like airport, hospitals, etc.

St. Louis area south and southwest - look Jefferson county and Franklin county -  more rocky terrain less internet access because of this but its not farm land type land like the other counties I mentioned so it is typically cheaper.  You also have smaller local cities to feed what you need like Festus and Washington.  Its a little more Confederate down there than what you'd be used to in Illinois but not as much as SEMO.

I'm sure you could do the same outside of KC, or Columbia or Springfield, or Jefferson City and get what you want.  You'll probably need to buy a ranch home on a 3-5 acre lot then build your out building.  

Oh and drag racing, sorry but as far as I know they've closed all of the 1/4 mile tracks at least in KC and St. Louis (except Gateway) so I'm not sure what you'll do there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Labadie could be nice if you can find an affordable place.  West of Union and Washington will cost less and you might be able to find some great places without complete dead beats adjacent.

No relief from allergies.  You're making advice near impossible.

If I was looking near DFW, I would go east to Caddo Mills and Greenville.  I'll bet Greenville has excellent internet service.  You won't find a basement, so plan on above ground buildings for storage or a shop.  I wouldn't bet allergens are much better there, but the winter weather can be mild.

If a race track is important, then Lincoln and Warren County might be good choices.  Maybe not, I guess MAR is closed.

Troy and Bowling Green are both fairly prosperous towns.  It's close enough to race at Gateway International, and I assume the track near the I-70/H. 19 intersection will get built some day.
View Quote

Yeah, I've not totally given up, but I've come to realize that getting what I want where I want in TX, NM, AZ, NV, CO is going to be next to impossible.  Finding something in the mid $150k range on more than 7000 square foot lot is pretty scarce.  So, I've gone back to familiar areas close to my support network... I've dealt with allergies for 46 yrs now, and arthritis for 20...  At least I know what I'm in for.

As for racing... From Union, there's Gateway Intl, Bonne Terre just opened up a new track in 2016, and Sikeston.  From Stockton there's the Mo-Kan Dragway and Lake of the Ozarks Dragstrip.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#27]
SWMO is nice, lived here all of my life. You should be able to find a place in your price range in this area.

Don't forget Ozark Raceway Park in Rogersville, MO here in  SWMO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Hold the phone... Found one I'm gonna put eyeballs on...
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

If looking that area, don't forget St. Claire.  Seems houses are a bit cheaper, or so I've been told.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#31]
If your allergies are bad enough that you're considering moving, you should go to a doctor and have a grid test done.  I used to have horrible, at times almost debilitating allergies ... but after identifying the issue, now have almost none.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If your allergies are bad enough that you're considering moving, you should go to a doctor and have a grid test done.  I used to have horrible, at times almost debilitating allergies ... but after identifying the issue, now have almost none.
View Quote

Been there, done that, several times in my life.  Glad the days are long gone from my childhood where they strapped you belly down onto a table, then literally cut you 100 times and dropped the crap to be tested into the cuts.  I'm not sure what was worse, the pain from the cuts, or the burning/itching that ensued after.  It was pretty barbaric.

I've had allergy shots for years after each test was done.  NOTHING increased my quality of life.  The only thing that increased was the allergists income.

Twice now, once at age 25, then again around age 39, I had horrible hives.  Rushed to the hospital multiple times during each bout.  The hives lasted about two years in each occasion, and vanished without a trace just as quickly as they came.  The allergists treating me wanted me to try some 'black box' shit, that came with the risk of cancer.  I told them thanks, but I'll deal with the hives.

So yeah, I have allergies, asthma, and arthritis, the winning combination, and none of which I can seemingly escape.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#33]
No. Just no. Stay the fuck out of poplar bluff. The town is dying it just doesn't know it. Ignorance is bliss in that aspect. Briggs and Stratton is barely hanging on. Nordyne closed along with Rowe furniture. While it's cheap as fuck to live there and they are semi modern there's fuckall for shooting ranges. A few gun shops and if you want anything you're gonna have to drive 2 hours to get it. I.e. Mall and such. I grew up in the area and am so glad o left 4 years ago.

I can't in good conscience say anything nice about bluff. It breaks my heart my son is locked there win my ex wife.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I wondered when you were going to show up!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Love the Married with Children reference.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am literally leaving poplar bluff at this moment. It still sucks. Can't wait to get home.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

That's funny, very close to my house!

My house
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's funny, very close to my house!

My house
View Quote

Someone else must have liked it, as it's showing under contract.

So, what about:

Farmington
St. Genevieve
Troy

???
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I work in Farmington, it's really growing and is about the most expensive part of the county to live in. There is a good range a few miles out of town(www.67gunclub.org) and there are several members on here that are also members of the club. Bonne Terre, Bismarck and several other smaller towns in St Francois county are significantly cheaper to live in. Fredericktown is 20 miles to the south and property should be cheaper down that way as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top