Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2017 1:07:09 AM EDT
Is there any consequence for the members of city governments that attempt to pass illegal firearms laws in Missouri?  It seems if local laws violating the state preemption are passed or already exist and are used to charge someone, the only consequence seems to be the charge getting dismissed (assuming the accused even is aware of this).

Is it possible for the state to prosecute the individual members of city governments for breaking the law by attempting to pass such things that clearly violate state law?  In the case of the recent St. Louis attempt, it was certainly mentioned that this violates state law; the individuals involved INTENTIONALLY ignored this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there any consequence for the members of city governments that attempt to pass illegal firearms laws in Missouri?  It seems if local laws violating the state preemption are passed or already exist and are used to charge someone, the only consequence seems to be the charge getting dismissed (assuming the accused even is aware of this).

Is it possible for the state to prosecute the individual members of city governments for breaking the law by attempting to pass such things that clearly violate state law?  In the case of the recent St. Louis attempt, it was certainly mentioned that this violates state law; the individuals involved INTENTIONALLY ignored this.
View Quote

The MO AG could be asked for an opinion on the new ordinance they haven written.  This has to be done by somebody in office, individuals can't ask for it (your councilmen, or state rep could ask for it and others).  Now, the AG opinion doesn't hold any weight...just an opinion (MO courts treat his opinion, like any other attorney).  You could then go to court and ask for a Declaratory judgment that the law violates 1/23 or the 2nd, if they pass it.

You live in STL?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
What attempt are you talking about?  Have I missed something?

Eta:  After rereading, it looks like you are asking hypothetically.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure I read something on STLday a few weeks ago about this, but I came here and didn't see anything about it so I forgot all about it...
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember that article.

Lol..  I don't see her deranged desire going anywhere.  There are plenty of people to educate her that her entire proposal would be shot down in court.

I have never been involved in an open carry protest, but she is kind of requesting one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#6]
What's an "assault weapon"?
Guns wouldn't be left in cars, if just about every major event down there didn't have a weapons ban and searches.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad I don't live in STL anymore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I just saw her ad running for mayor. She is running on a I hate guns  platform.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top