Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2017 1:10:13 PM EDT
I am 62 yrs old and would like to fly fish the tail waters of Table Rock Dam. I would be wadding, not drift fishing from a boat. Due to my poor eye sight and not having the hands of a 27 yr old anymore, i need some recommendations on fly's that i could tie myself. I am too old to tie up tiny size 20 fly's. Without giving up secret patterns, what would you suggest i try to tie up in a larger size suitable to use wadding to try for trout? Color and ease of tying would be of help, i could youtube the suggested patterns. I just need to be pointed in the right direction on what to use that would be effective, and not crazy tiny that i wouldn't be able to tie.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Mostly nymph patterns such as pheasant tail nymph or similar patterns. Never had much luck with Dry flys. Scuds seam to work the best, about a 14-16 hook size and have had luck with small muddler minnows from time to time
I haven't been there in a few years since it is hard to find out how many gates are open on the dam which will dictate the amount of wading that can be done.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a lakehouse on tablerock so me and my dad  fish down below the dam pretty regularly.

As far as flies.  Depends on the day. Honestly we haven't had one that works all the time.

Word of warning.  If the siren sounds. Get the hell out the water. Seriously don't dilly daddle. Gtfo of the water.  

When they open it up. It comes up real fast and very strong.

Also it's much easier access to the water from the hatchery side.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Phil owns and runs a resort further downstream on Taneycomo and has extensive experience all over the lake.

He writes a fishing report: http://www.lilleyslanding.com/fishing-report

Look up his daily "One Cast" on youtube too
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Zebra midges work well down by the outlets.  Scuds too.  If they are generating water you can try some jigs on an ultralight too.  
+1 on Lilley's landing.  Phil's usually post up reports on his facebook page or on Ozarkanglers.com

Here's the core website.  Anything over 2500cfs is going to really limit your area to wade at.  As others said, if horn sounds make sure to get to high ground.  

Good luck

Core site
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I fished the White and Norfolk several times last last year, most recently in December. Listen to the advice on water levels, it's no joke. You can also successfully wade a lot of areas on the white from below the dam down to wildcat, cotter or rim sholes, so don't restrict yourself to just below the table rock dam. On 0 units the Norfolk just below the dam is wadeable, but like with tablerock don't get caught out. Always check the generation schedules before you head out for an idea of how much water there could be. Dry run creek is right there at Norfolk/the hatchery for youth/disabled fishing, and is really cool to see even if not fishing to see some monster fish and how they hold.

That entire fishery typically does well on scuds, eggs, San Juan worms, midges, in addition to swinging soft hackles or wullybuggers. One one fly that is a bit of a sleeper is this one from Jeremy Hunt http://www.flysandguides.com/product/mega-worm-white-bakers-dozen-size-10 and tied with just a bit of 'baby blanket fleece' on the #10size jig hook that's also avail from Jeremy. It works particularly well below docks. I fished it right at the state park put in & landed the largest brown of the weekend. The same fly caught the largest rainbow of the weekend on the Norfolk.

Tight lines and stay safe.
R-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top