Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2016 6:15:01 PM EDT
Anyone here live around Viburnum, MO?

Found a nice house in the area I'd like to go look at.  Was just wondering how far civilization is away?  IE:  Closest Wal-Mart/McDonalds.  Those are two indicators of town size.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
According to Google, Viburnum has a population of 677 (2013). It is 31 miles from Salem, 34 miles from Cuba and 39 miles from Potosi. Walmart is showing that they have stores in Salem and Potosi.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Anyone here live around Viburnum, MO?

Found a nice house in the area I'd like to go look at.  Was just wondering how far civilization is away?  IE:  Closest Wal-Mart/McDonalds.  Those are two indicators of town size.
View Quote

Wow, thats kinda out there...

Desloge has a pretty good sized Walmart thats about an hour from there I think...

Looks like Salem, Potosi and Cuba are all a lot closer and I'm betting they all have Walmarts and such...
**** Poster above replied while I was replying...***

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, in looking at Google Earth more, I'm not sure that I want to live THAT far out... I hate people, but not that damn much.

Found another interesting piece of property in Farmington...  Can't tell though if there's any association dues or not, but it's on 2 acres.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Well if you move to Farmington you'll be in my neck of the woods. There are several nice gun shops in the area. Farmington is quite a lot more expensive to live in than surrounding towns. There is a great range that several members of this forum belong to. www.67gunclub.org is their page and you can check it out. If you have any questions about the area let me know.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Hows the water table and run off in Farmington?

I know that Arnold/Pevely has some flooding issues.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm about 3 exits below Farmington in Fredericktown...  Also a member of the range Pumpkinheaver mentioned...

As far as flooding, most of these areas off 67 from ParkHills all the way down too Highway 34 are pretty good about not flooding...  Unless you get some strange in the hole right by the river property...  But its not the norm..

We have a creek across the street from us that I was worried about this spring/summer when it rained every day for a month it seemed...  All the Rivers and creeks were up, but it never got close to getting onto the road here...  I drove by it daily, when we were thinking about this place... As I did not want to get flooded in...

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!  About to leave this liberal shithole.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Its probably 40ish miles either way to anything. Salem is the closest town of any size. Lots of national forest land around there, and many, many amazing curvy roads if riding motorcycles is your thing.

Its not poor AF like many other areas though, two doe run mines pay pretty good from what I hear, and there's quite a bit of logging in the area. Cell and internet service is pretty weak though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
According to Google, Viburnum has a population of 677 (2013). It is 31 miles from Salem, 34 miles from Cuba and 39 miles from Potosi. Walmart is showing that they have stores in Salem and Potosi.
View Quote

Salem has a Walmart but I learned this summer that it's not a (Super)-walmart  Blew a trailer tire just south of Rolla on a Friday night and figured
that I could pick up a trailer/wheel combo when I got to Salem.   Not so much, no automotive department.    They do have plenty of food & fast food places.  I've never been through Viburnum though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats.

Here's a nice little place near Farmington...

Been there a cpl times myself.

http://www.asymmetricsolutionsusa.com/
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#12]
and don't forget Ben at http://www.cedarfallstactical.com

He is in Desloge like 5 mis off 67...

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Its probably 40ish miles either way to anything. Salem is the closest town of any size. Lots of national forest land around there, and many, many amazing curvy roads if riding motorcycles is your thing.

Its not poor AF like many other areas though, two doe run mines pay pretty good from what I hear, and there's quite a bit of logging in the area. Cell and internet service is pretty weak though.
View Quote

Nope... Into blown alky drag racing though... And Google isn't showing me many straight paved roads!  

I'm really wanting something 2 bed, 2 bath, 1k square feet, full basement, attached two car garage, on 1-5 acres with a pole barn.  Price range around $150k.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 3:18:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Nope... Into blown alky drag racing though... And Google isn't showing me many straight paved roads!  

I'm really wanting something 2 bed, 2 bath, 1k square feet, full basement, attached two car garage, on 1-5 acres with a pole barn.  Price range around $150k.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We bought a place  for like 98K that has two Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, Big kitchen/Dining room, large basement, 1.5 car attached garage, big outbuilding thing that has a roof, left side and back, but no right or front, I park my Trail Blazer and 16" Travel Trailer Camper under and plug it in,  2.5-3 acres of land. Which sits in the middle of a 600 acre pasture so it looks much bigger than it is.... Plenty of room to add a Big Pole barn if I can ever afford it...

I'm pretty happy with the location as it sits just outside of town, like 5 mins from highway 67, maybe 10 mins from Walmart, 30ish mins from the Gun Club...

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, being from IL I need to ask you.

1. do you like flat open farm land
2. do you like scrubby rocky very hilly country?

Areas east of the Miss river and hwy 44 area and south is more ozark mountainish.  vs. areas up near highway 70 and north of 70 are more like IL.

If you are gonna go south and want a small town that isn't a ghost town, try around Rolla.  Other smaller towns that still have city infrastrucutre that won't be expensive to live around would be Washington, Festus, Farmington, Hannibal, Bowling Green, Moberly, Jeff City area, outer Columbia area, Troy, area (getting more expensive fast though) etc.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't know about water, but Farmington has Winged 410 Sprint Car Races during the summer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks!  About to leave this liberal shithole.
View Quote

I lived in the Communist, Racist Capital of the USA (Chicago) starting in '84.  Loved growing up in the burbs.  Chicago was fun but around late 90s I started seeing bad changes.  So I moved to rural MO.

I hate IL with a passion.  Amazing how even the burbs are all now Liberal, Diversity playgrounds.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, being from IL I need to ask you.

1. do you like flat open farm land
2. do you like scrubby rocky very hilly country?

Areas east of the Miss river and hwy 44 area and south is more ozark mountainish.  vs. areas up near highway 70 and north of 70 are more like IL.

If you are gonna go south and want a small town that isn't a ghost town, try around Rolla.  Other smaller towns that still have city infrastrucutre that won't be expensive to live around would be Washington, Festus, Farmington, Hannibal, Bowling Green, Moberly, Jeff City area, outer Columbia area, Troy, area (getting more expensive fast though) etc.
View Quote

I hate flat... It's windy and cold, and I want away from it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Between Washington and Hermann, and just west of Hermann to about Linn or Bonnots Mill could be a great location for an immigrant not concerned with locating near family.  From the river down to H. 50.

View Quote

Southern Montgomery county is beautiful also.  Very rural but a quick hop onto I-70 to go anywhere you need to be. Orscheln's, a small hospital and some decent restaurants a few miles south in Hermann. Closest Walmart is 25 miles away in Warrenton or Fulton.

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I grew up on and still co-own with my sister a farm about 30 miles south of there between Bunker and Centerville. It's a nice rural area, just not a lot of good paying jobs.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a drag strip in Bonne Terre just north of Farmington. I don't know much about it as I've never been there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They have a drag strip in Bonne Terre just north of Farmington. I don't know much about it as I've never been there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fortunately, I have. :)
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's some fun street racing real close to Viburnum

Very uninhabited area too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That could be... well, fun!  Any seven second rides?  If not, they won't have much chance. lol
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Viburnum is 45 minutes from Cuba and I-44. Cuba has a small walmart and McDonald's, Hardee's, sonic, and a jack n the box. I don't know the distances to Salem which is technically a super Walmart. They have McDonald's and a KFC/Taco Bell.

Viburnum is secluded with a Caseys General store and a small cafe called the blueburd cafe. There is a grocery store. Steelville is about 30 minutes. They have a dollar general, a BBQ place, and a subway.

Depending on where your intended residence falls around viburnum you'll either be in Crawford, Washington, or Iron counties. Law enforcement coverage is sparse especially in that corner of the county but i will say we(Crawford) are more proactive and successful at catching the drugs and theives than the other two.

I am moving about 5 miles from Viburnum in January off of highway V.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#28]

That could be... well, fun!  Any seven second rides?  If not, they won't have much chance. lol
View Quote

Its been a few years since I've been there, but the variety of cars is pretty cool. Everything from strait up trash, to hell of fast.

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Its been a few years since I've been there, but the variety of cars is pretty cool. Everything from strait up trash, to hell of fast.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My toy.

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Wife and I are from a small town in Il.
We were born and raised here.
We bought a house 8 miles south of Steelville for our retirement home.
Will be moving at the end of Nov

16 miles to Cuba for wally world, 25 or so to Sullivan for a Lowes.
Steelville is beautiful, about the size town we're leaving in il.
Lots to do in the sticks
I don't hate people, I just like my privacy sometimes.

We talked it over before buying the house.
Kids, g kids, & great grand kids all live here.
But having privacy, laid back people, beautiful scenery, loads of stuff to do, and prices aren't bad either.
Main thing is we're getting out of Il

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My toy.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb199/onebadgmc/Racing%20Photos/08-02-08042.jpg
Holy Schnikes!!!  Nice!!!

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will have plenty of options for $150K.  I'm off 44W about an hr from STL.  We bought 10 acres, 3 bed, 2 bath, about 1400sqft ranch, 1 car attached, but no basement for $155K.  Place had a small pole barn and lays really nice in a little creek valley near the Meramec.  I commute to STL so being just off 44 is handy.  Keep in mind distance to medical, fire house, etc for home insurance rates.  Keep in mind distance to the lumber/hardware/farm store for sanity sake.  Rural Internet/Cell service is spotty so check to make sure you can at least get DSL at your location!!!

I ended up basically tearing down the pole barn and expanding it on the same site.  I would buy based off location, acreage, and price.  $20K will get you a workshop shell built to your needs, just factor that into your buying price.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You will have plenty of options for $150K.  I'm off 44W about an hr from STL.  We bought 10 acres, 3 bed, 2 bath, about 1400sqft ranch, 1 car attached, but no basement for $155K.  Place had a small pole barn and lays really nice in a little creek valley near the Meramec.  I commute to STL so being just off 44 is handy.  Keep in mind distance to medical, fire house, etc for home insurance rates.  Keep in mind distance to the lumber/hardware/farm store for sanity sake.  Rural Internet/Cell service is spotty so check to make sure you can at least get DSL at your location!!!

I ended up basically tearing down the pole barn and expanding it on the same site.  I would buy based off location, acreage, and price.  $20K will get you a workshop shell built to your needs, just factor that into your buying price.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have to be pretty close to one another.  Franklin county? Or eastern Crawford?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wife and I are from a small town in Il.
We were born and raised here.
We bought a house 8 miles south of Steelville for our retirement home.
Will be moving at the end of Nov

16 miles to Cuba for wally world, 25 or so to Sullivan for a Lowes.
Steelville is beautiful, about the size town we're leaving in il.
Lots to do in the sticks
I don't hate people, I just like my privacy sometimes.

We talked it over before buying the house.
Kids, g kids, & great grand kids all live here.
But having privacy, laid back people, beautiful scenery, loads of stuff to do, and prices aren't bad either.
Main thing is we're getting out of Il

View Quote

Look me up when you get moved down here. IM me if you want.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My toy.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb199/onebadgmc/Racing%20Photos/08-02-08042.jpg

Nice! You obviously enjoy speed

I'm betting you'll want something to ride the corners on when you get moved in
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My toy.

You mean a 16.5x33x15 slick won't hug corners?  Yeah, I noticed there's not many straight roads down there... I did, however, enjoy a trip down to DeSoto, MO a week ago.... I-270 to Hwy21 (Blood Alley I believe?).  Really pretty country... So tired of flat ass IL.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We have to be pretty close to one another.  Franklin county? Or eastern Crawford?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Franklin, Co near Stanton and the Caverns.  - JP
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#38]
If you make it down toward Farmington give me a heads up I'll show you around, the gunclub, funshops etc...
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

If you make it down toward Farmington give me a heads up I'll show you around, the gunclub, funshops etc...
View Quote
I'll join ya'll....

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I left illinois about 11 years ago and bought a nice home and 40 acres of timber in bollinger county . its 18 miles to frederick town , 28 miles to perryville and 30 miles to cape definatly in the sticks but not having the hassle of neighbors is a wonderful thing
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I left illinois about 11 years ago and bought a nice home and 40 acres of timber in bollinger county . its 18 miles to frederick town , 28 miles to perryville and 30 miles to cape definatly in the sticks but not having the hassle of neighbors is a wonderful thing
View Quote

That's what I need, but with a caveat... I gotta have a reliable high speed internet connection for my business.  So, where ever I go, need DSL/U-verse, or Cable of some sort.  Satellite isn't an option for my needs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
That's what I need, but with a caveat... I gotta have a reliable high speed internet connection for my business.  So, where ever I go, need DSL/U-verse, or Cable of some sort.  Satellite isn't an option for my needs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope you have better luck with that than I did...

I live within 1500 Yards or so of visible Charter plant and due too issues with pole loading permissions with Black River Elect and costs of going underground, it would cost me way too much (upwards of 20K ) to get it extended out here...

The only real option I have is a local wireless provider in town and I pay almost a 100 a month for 10Down/5Up and I'm lucky if I get 5Down/3Up and frequent outages if it rains, wind blows to hard or power blinks here, in town or where ever the Tower I bounce off of is.....

I get by, but its not what I had hopped for at all...  I'm used too 100D/30Up for free (or damn near it) that never dropped unless a really large scale power outage or tornado hit...

So, where ever you buy, I'd have some real good assurances of serviceability and redundancy if possible.

You might talk to Charter about a business Fiber account.  

Can't hurt to check as an option...  If they can go Arieal and not underground, it won't be as expensive and your biggest risk is a fiber cut between your house and the POP/Hub, from there its on back up and has many points of redundancy...

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'll join ya'll....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll join ya'll....

Sounds good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top