Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2016 9:56:05 PM EDT
Just curious how my fellow MO members will be voting on the ballot measures:

https://ballotpedia.org/Missouri_2016_ballot_measures
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Constitutional Amendment 1 would renew the existing sales and use tax of 0.1 percent for 10 years.  NO.
Constitutional Amendment 2 would establish limits on campaign contributions to candidates for state or judicial office.  YES.
Constitutional Amendment 3 would increase the taxes on cigarette packs to 60 cents by 2020.  Hell NO and I don't smoke.
Constitutional Amendment 4 would prohibit a new state sales or use tax on any service or activity that was not subject to a sales or use tax as of January 1, 2015.  Hell YES!!
Constitutional Amendment 6 would empower the state government to require the presentation of voter IDs at public elections for the purpose of identifying and proving national and state citizenship.  YES.

This is where I'm at right now
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#2]
^ agreed with ZB!
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes
6. Yes
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI,  Jay Nixon, the St. Louis Post Dispatch, and the democrats are all FOR/YES on Amendment 2.  My gut then says NO.

http://www.971talk.com/blogs/marc-cox/news-desk/missouri-ballot-measures-marc-cox
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]
No on all except Amendment 1 and voter ID.

The no new tax is fucking stupid. There could be whole new categories of commerce in future years that would be exempt and have massive advantages over legacy businesses. Bad juju.

Both tobacco taxes are stupid, #3 taxes the poor so they can pay their kids pre-k (statistically more lower income smoke), and Prop A is just garbage. If we need more road money raise the fuel taxes and put a yearly use tax on EV's.

Campaign contribution limits are great for democrats... Not so good for third parties or GOP.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The no new tax is fucking stupid. There could be whole new categories of commerce in future years that would be exempt and have massive advantages over legacy businesses. Bad juju.

Both tobacco taxes are stupid, #3 taxes the poor so they can pay their kids pre-k (statistically more lower income smoke), and Prop A is just garbage. If we need more road money raise the fuel taxes and put a yearly use tax on EV's.

Campaign contribution limits are great for democrats... Not so good for third parties or GOP.
View Quote

What new categories of business
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Constitutional Amendment 1 would renew the existing sales and use tax of 0.1 percent for 10 years.  NO.
Constitutional Amendment 2 would establish limits on campaign contributions to candidates for state or judicial office.  YES.
Constitutional Amendment 3 would increase the taxes on cigarette packs to 60 cents by 2020.  Hell NO and I don't smoke.
Constitutional Amendment 4 would prohibit a new state sales or use tax on any service or activity that was not subject to a sales or use tax as of January 1, 2015.  Hell YES!!
Constitutional Amendment 6 would empower the state government to require the presentation of voter IDs at public elections for the purpose of identifying and proving national and state citizenship.  YES.

View Quote

I'm with you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question. I can't see the future either.

ETA - I'll use the example of cars again, we don't have a use tax on EV's right now do we? They put wear and tear on the roads just like every other vehicle but are exempt from paying for them. This is a very bad deal...

Furthermore, think about a law like this being enacted 100 years ago. I'm all for limited government, but we shouldn't hamstring our state's future based on our perception of today.

Just imagine if the founders had the foresight to add a couple words to #2
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you.

Same here
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're on the same page about everything but this.

You know that Republicans will be the only ones bound by this law. Even if the democrats are caught red-handed violating it, there won't be any (significant) penalties, and nobody in the press will care, so the public won't hear about it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You know that Republicans will be the only ones bound by this law. Even if the democrats are caught red-handed violating it, there won't be any (significant) penalties, and nobody in the press will care, so the public won't hear about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bold.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bold.

Agreed.  Democrats are the ones behind this. You or your organization (NRA for example) should be able to donate whatever you want to whoever you want.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ETA - I'll use the example of cars again, we don't have a use tax on EV's right now do we? They put wear and tear on the roads just like every other vehicle but are exempt from paying for them. This is a very bad deal...

Furthermore, think about a law like this being enacted 100 years ago. I'm all for limited government, but we shouldn't hamstring our state's future based on our perception of today.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm undecided on this one.  I generally agree with not raising taxes.  I don't want to do anything short sighted, though, especially with the constitution.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Judge Tietelmann NO
#1 YES
#2 NO
#3 NO
#4 YES
#6 YES
A NO
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Results.

Shall Judge RICHARD B. TEITELMAN of the Missouri Supreme Court be retained in office? Yes (63.918%)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top