Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2016 8:11:31 PM EDT
Would love to shadow someone and learn how to use a mill and metal lathe. I dont have any relatives or friends that are super into firearma or know anything about machining and Im one of those guys that likes to learn by example. Anybody work on 80% lowers or make their own barrels? Dont mind buying my own equipment. But would like to learn a little bit more before i make an investment. Im in IT so I stare at a computer screen enough and would rather learn ny getting my hands dirty. Anybody want to teach me the ways of the jedi? Willing to drive! Im in the STL area.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello,

it's kinda tough getting people to open up their shops to others will little skill set ,

if you buy you a 80% lower kit with the jig i will open my shop up to you and teach you
some machining  skills , you can start to  complete the lower on my large drill press
then we will move it over to the milling machine then you can see how the machines comes into play on
doing a 80% lower , then i will teach you some basic lathe works , facing , cutting , boring and cutting threads on the lathe , then if you want to learn more i can teach you metal fab from layouts to welding , stick both inhouse and portable welding , mig welding  , on shooting  i can teach you reloading if you don't do it now  and i have my own home range .  it will be so that our time frames can meet mostly on weekends i'm very busy through the week and work long hours . but during the winter months my job slows down enough though .

if you have soft  hands , you wont have them for long , the machines will
see to that from cuts to burns and everything in between .

I'm in rural Carroll county 3-4 hrs from the east side
drop me a line and we can go from there .

TS2

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hello,

it's kinda tough getting people to open up their shops to others will little skill set ,

if you buy you a 80% lower kit with the jig i will open my shop up to you and teach you
some machining  skills , you can start to  complete the lower on my large drill press
then we will move it over to the milling machine then you can see how the machines comes into play on
doing a 80% lower , then i will teach you some basic lathe works , facing , cutting , boring and cutting threads on the lathe , then if you want to learn more i can teach you metal fab from layouts to welding , stick both inhouse and portable welding , mig welding  , on shooting  i can teach you reloading if you don't do it now  and i have my own home range .  it will be so that our time frames can meet mostly on weekends i'm very busy through the week and work long hours . but during the winter months my job slows down enough though .

TS2

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/bluevtx/Welders/shop77014.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/bluevtx/Welders/shop77013.jpg

View Quote

Might take you up on that sometime when I'm up around the Marshall area. My in-laws live in Marshall. Looks like you aren't too far from Sedailia/Marhsall?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do they teach you how to use a mill? It's not like i'm not handy. I've got a 40x60 woodworking shop with all the goodies. If its built out of wood, I don't even need plans I can make it.
I have a drill press and certainly can use a router so for black friday I will likely pick up a modulus arms jig and make a few 80% lowers.

I can weld no problem. Took several years of welding in high school back in the day and learned on an old Lincoln Stick Welder. I can use a wire welder decent enough. I have a torch, welder, and metal cut off saw.

I do not have a mill but would love to learn how to use one.

Wood lathe's really don't interest me that much but a metal lathe certainly would.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hello,

TS2
View Quote

makes me wish I still lived back in central Missouri...
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
TS2, i have an 80% that I started a few years ago but was out of my league.  I'm near Warrensburg, mind if I hit ya up?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#8]
send me a IM

TS2

Quoted:
TS2, i have an 80% that I started a few years ago but was out of my league.  I'm near Warrensburg, mind if I hit ya up?
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top