Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2016 10:43:13 AM EDT
New to MO and seeing something weird in my suburban yard. Little dirt piles, about 8-10 inches across and a few inches high? They show up overnight. Strangest dang thing.
Anybody have any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

New to MO and seeing something weird in my suburban yard. Little dirt piles, about 8-10 inches across and a few inches high? They show up overnight. Strangest dang thing.

Anybody have any ideas?
View Quote

If its anything like my yard here in Southern Mo and my last yard in N.St. Louis County, I think its Moles and or Voles...  I think their made food source is the earth and Grub worm...  

I spread some stuff at the last yard in the county that was in pellet form, that took care of the Grub worms, but my yard down here is way too big too do that...  

They have my yard looking like some shit off Caddy Shack...  One those little hills sink in, you could break off an ankle or lawnmower wheel in them...

Not sure what the best solution is down here...

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
This right here is what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4CNsRwtFy8
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Moles. The stuff with castor oil you spread on your yard runs off the worms and the moles follow. Works fairly well. Some cats and dogs will kill them but nothing eats them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread made this old Missourian laugh.

It's mole wacking time for the newcomer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My dog likes to dig them up and kill them, she is actually making the backyard look like northern france in 1918
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, sounds like moles to me.  They did that stuff in the backyard at my last house.  Dog dug one up one time but every other time he just dug holes and never got another mole.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Garden hose and .22. Plus a shitload of patience.  Or I let my Rott hunt them.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Uh Oh.   Sounds like a Wampuss Cat.    Nice knowing you OP.    
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Not moles or voles. Piles like that are evidence of armadillo digging for grubs.

Got these? You got a dillo.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I think it might be an armadillo.
I originally thought mole, so I bought a mole trap and started looking for tunnels. I dug around the dirt piles, and in the dirt piles, but found no tunnels at all.
So now I'm going to return the mole trap (thanks Amazon) and look into trapping dillos.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think it might be an armadillo.

I originally thought mole, so I bought a mole trap and started looking for tunnels. I dug around the dirt piles, and in the dirt piles, but found no tunnels at all.

So now I'm going to return the mole trap (thanks Amazon) and look into trapping dillos.

View Quote
What area/Part of Mo are you in???

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#13]
West side of Springfield.

After doing a little more research, I think I'm going to put up a trail cam to try to catch the culprit and see what I'm dealing with.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My dog likes to dig them up and kill them, she is actually making the backyard look like northern france in 1918
View Quote
My JRT spends much of her day digging them.  Sometimes she will even catch them, killing them in a violent shaking death with body parts flinging.  JRTs are mean little dogs!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top