Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2016 2:04:53 PM EDT
The family and myself are going to be spending about 8-9 days this July in your beautiful state.
Years ago I asked for recommendations and Johnsons-Shut ins was given and we love it. Been back several times. We will be spending 4 days there as well as 2-3 with Ozark outdoors doing their tube loop and kayaking trips. We are looking for a couple other suggestions.
Looking for central to southeast Mo. As this will be for the end of our trip.

Any nice day hikes with kick ass views or waterfalls?
Caves that offer caving trips. ( the crawling kind)
Or anything else outdoors.
Good local food suggestions defiantly appreciated as well.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
There's fuck all to do in southeast Missouri. Unless you wanna float the current river, make meth, hate life and swat mosquitoes.

Honestly you're better off hanging out in the Springfield Branson area.

I grew up in semo and have lived in Springfield going in 4 years now. I hate going back.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Millstream Gardens CA is right in that area and is awesome.

When the waters up, there is whitewater rafting, when the waters down, tons of opportunity for bouldering.

It's a cool place to spend the day.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
So I haven't gotten down that way much, as I only moved here a short bit ago. Have a few places that I've been looking into. I'll give you my list of places I want to see.

there was a mine south of st louis that flooded and you could kayak it.
A VERY brief search showed me this on trip advisor. I think it is the one I read about

Elephant Rocks State park is a neat little half day trip. I did make it there. Had fun.  

I really hope to hike Taum Sauk to Johnson's Shutins.

If you are interested in Arkansas, The Buffalo River is on my list as well.

This weekend I'm hoping to make it down to Ha Ha Tonka. My car wants me to change its oil this weekend though. We shall see.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's fuck all to do in southeast Missouri. Unless you wanna float the current river, make meth, hate life and swat mosquitoes.

I grew up in semo and have lived in Springfield going in 4 years now. I hate going back.
View Quote

Eleven point river way mo betta no wonder you hate life.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

So an average Tuesday in SE MO

Branson area would probably be the best bet for a vacation, plenty of stuff to do. Tablerock lake is right there too, which is a really nice lake that isnt crowded and dirty like the Lake of the Ozarks is.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
We did the touristy stuff in Branson for a few days over my daughters spring break.  Looking to avoid most of that kind of shit, not entirely opposed if something is really neat,but mainly looking for the nature type vacation.  I'm looking to fill at most one or 2 days as at least 1/2 a day will be traveling back home.

We have been to Elephant Rocks before and will likely take a day trip over when we are staying at the shut-ins.
I'll look more into hiking around Taum Sauk as well.

Our current plans have us at Johson's Shut-ins Sunday night through Thursday then heading to the Leesburg area to Ozark outdoors for Thursday and Friday night. We might add one more there or go somewhere else.  We have to return home on Sunday. So we are not looking to fill to much time, but this area of Mo. is within a day so long weekend get aways in the future are also a possibility is something interesting is around.

The Millstream Gardens area looks interesting.    
I might have to look look into the Current for a future trip.
Also considering taking the Kayaks up to Lake Wappapello for a weekend camping trip some time.
Guess I should also look into Eleven Point.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Meramec Spring Park near St. James is not far from Leasburg.  Maybe 35 miles?  A nice place to walk around, hang out, maybe fish, for a while.

Meramec Spring
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Onandaga Cave near Leasburg.  

Onondaga
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Have fun at ozark outdoors, we love that place
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Meramec Spring Park near St. James is not far from Leasburg.  Maybe 35 miles?  A nice place to walk around, hang out, maybe fish, for a while.

Meramec Spring
View Quote

Will look into more thanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Onandaga Cave near Leasburg.  

Onondaga
View Quote

Visited Onadaga an Cathedral cave on a previous trip. That's how we found Ozark outdoors. And thought it would be fun for another trip. So we are hoping to enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excellent.  It looked like fun. Gave you done any of their kayak trips, tube loop or what?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

there was a mine south of st louis that flooded and you could kayak it.

View Quote

Is that the one in Bonne Terre, where you can scuba dive? I always wanted to do that.

https://www.visitmo.com/bonne-terre-mine.aspx
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meramec Spring

I love Maramec Springs for trout fishing. Beautiful place, like to go there any chance I get. Sometimes though it can get a bit crowded if you plan to fish when the whistle blows (6:30am), but the early birds are usually gone by about 9.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Excellent.  It looked like fun. Gave you done any of their kayak trips, tube loop or what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't stayed at Ozark Outdoors, but I recently did the 10 mile kayak trip that starts at Onondaga Cave Park through a different outfitter and it was a really nice float.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've done the tube loop.  Its nice for people with short attention spans.  Your and a half or so on the water then I can have lunch, take a nap, then go again
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Well the itenereary is all set. Arrive on a Sunday at Johnson's Shut-ins, probably do some local day hikes/elephant rocks and go on Thursday from there to Ozark outdoors for a day of tube looping and one of Kayaking and on Saturday afternoon head to Cape GIrardeau for the night. The wife thought a hotel would be good for the last night. So she searched Breweries and found Minglewood brewery...so thus our destination was chosen. Any one been to Minglewood Brewery or had their beers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Missouri has some decent wineries. A day in Herman would be my first choice but there's also a wine district not far from Cape. Crown Valley Winery comes to mind but there are several others in that area.  

For a true Missouri Redneck experience head south of Cape to Lambert's and pig out on some throwed rolls.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I've always enjoyed Alley Springs. Haven't been in about 10 years, though. There's a great trail to walk, some great views, and a tour of an old grist mill on the spring. There's also several swimming holes on the Jack's Fork river.

A short drive away is Rocky Falls, which is a swimming hole under a big pile of rocks that has a lot of little waterfalls. Walking trails on top of the hill.

It's good for an overnight campout, but I don't know what you'd do for 4-5 days.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Look at Ha Ha Tonka State Park in Camdenton. It sounds like it has a lot of what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Whispering Pines Trail at Hawn State Park in Ste. Genevieve County. 6 mile trail, first 1/2 mile is along beautiful shut-ins, several stretches wander through peaceful pine forest, several nice ascents includes the halfway point to bald knob (with great views of the valley). Final stretch is along the bluffs of the creek near the camp ground. It's a wonderful trail and there are an ample number of picnic tables near the parking areas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top