Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2016 7:04:04 PM EDT
As title says, my ccw is about due. July 22 to be exact.

Received a renewal card for "non-driver license" in mail today. Says the fee is $11. I think that's incorrect as this is for CCW.

The card received may not even be the one I should receive for renewal for ccw, but I felt I should ask.

Do I need to pick up any particular #'d form at DMV or Sheriff Office and have in hand, already filled out where needed, to not hold up progress?

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I renewed my CCW permit last year. I was able to get all needed info from my Sheriff's website.

Basically all I needed to do was show up and say I wanted to renew at my Sheriff's office ( Cole ), look over a form and sign it, and write a check ( $37 ish bucks ). I walked out with my permit in under 10 minutes. Would have been sooner, but there was another ahead of me. DMV no longer handles CCW permits.

Not sure of your county, but I'd check the sheriff's website or call them. I know some counties require you to make appointments and such.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to your Sheriff. Take your drivers license, and renewal fee. You should probably call ahead to find out how much they charge for renewal.

Some counties require an appointment for CCW, some are only open for CCW on certain days/times.

You will not need to go to the DMV, the sheriff handles everything now, including issuing your new permit card that is good for 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I just threw out the DMV as they have all kinds of forms for everything that deals with license's, and wasn't sure with the new permits.

Guess I need to contact my local Sheriff's Office to see if there's certain times for ccw renewals and how soon I can show up before expiration.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I just threw out the DMV as they have all kinds of forms for everything that deals with license's, and wasn't sure with the new permits.

Guess I need to contact my local Sheriff's Office to see if there's certain times for ccw renewals and how soon I can show up before expiration.
View Quote

You can renew at anytime, after the first day, up until 6 months after expiration (with penalty).

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/chapters/chapText571.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

In what County do you reside?  I'm mainly curious if there are other Counties as f'ed up with renewals as Jackson County.  

Jackson County Sheriff's office tells you their renewal appointments are 60-90 days out.  Which really sucks if you don't know to check their website that far in advance of your permit expiring.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In what County do you reside?  I'm mainly curious if there are other Counties as f'ed up with renewals as Jackson County.  

Jackson County Sheriff's office tells you their renewal appointments are 60-90 days out.  Which really sucks if you don't know to check their website that far in advance of your permit expiring.  
Down here in Madison County/Fredericktown, it takes like 15 mins to renew or change the address on your CCW...

I went in expecting to take a whole day like last time I went to Clayton, I was presently surprised...  The only thing I didn't like was they require a 50.00 money order, no checks, cash or C.C....

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well fuck, I just noticed my permit expires Tuesday. For some reason I thought it expired in August.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What a croc of crap.  Miller County is a little slow and by appointment only, but apparently it could be much worse.

OP, IIRC, renewal is $50 county wide now and you only need to present your old CCW for ID.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I just called for renewal and my appointment is July 26th .
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
St. Louis city and County, just show up with old CCW at Sheriffs office, pay fee, undergo very quick background check, get new CCW card and go on your way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wonder...

Since the Jackson County Sheriff's Office charges a late fee of $10 per month past a permit's expiration for renewal, would carrying on that expired license still be legal?  To my mind, since they are charging a late fee, I would think it's still okay to carry until the permit is renewed.  They are charging for a product, so one should be able to use that product.

Thoughts?  
View Quote

You have 6 months before it fully expires in that time you're gtg, when I called today and set my appointment my license will be expired 2 months before its fully renewed. They didn't charge me a late fee because I called before it actually expired.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:28:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wonder...

Since the Jackson County Sheriff's Office charges a late fee of $10 per month past a permit's expiration for renewal, would carrying on that expired license still be legal?  To my mind, since they are charging a late fee, I would think it's still okay to carry until the permit is renewed.  They are charging for a product, so one should be able to use that product.

Thoughts?  
View Quote

No, you can't carry on an expired permit, it's no longer valid. Carrying concealed without a valid permit is a felony offense.

The six-month grace period is for the renewal process only. If you fail to renew within 6 months, you have to re-apply for a new permit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
According to Kevin Jamison, the permit is void after the expiration date, and he specifically comments that it is a felony to carry on an expired permit in his video.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just called for renewal and my appointment is July 26th .
View Quote

That's the day mine actually expires. Guess I'll be calling them on Monday.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Johnson County. Our sheriff's office is now located between Holden and Centerview(just west of Warrensburg) on a back road.
I checked the sheriff's office and got the info I was seeking from the website.
A phone call goes out Monday to get setup for renewal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How old is that video?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to Kevin Jamison, the permit is void after the expiration date, and he specifically comments that it is a felony to carry on an expired permit in his video.
How old is that video?

It's at least a few years old, but nothing that pertains to the permit expiring has changed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I received the following reply from some unknown person with a @jacksongov.org email address:

"You can not carry on your person once your permit is expired.  After you get your new card then you can carry again."

I asked them to state their name and position and cite the statute.

Eric

View Quote

If a permit is expired, it's not valid.  It can be reinstated up to 6 months, with $10 penalty, for each month, past the expiration date.  I don't see why you guys keep asking.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Called local Sheriff's Office today to setup an appointment.

Good thing I did. They're doing expirations a month early to make sure everyone keeps current and not being expired the best I could tell.

They were doing a week of appointments from June 14-17, for those who expire in July.

So if you're in Johnson County you better get your call for appointment 1-month early, before expiration.

JOCO Sheriff's Office # 660-747-6469. Make sure you speak to Karla for CCW permits/renewals.
Johnson County Jail
278 SW 871 Rd
Centerview, Mo 64019

Monday-Friday between hours of 8:30am to 3:30pm (excluding any holidays)

ALL permits will be done by appointment only.

Bring these documents: State ID w/photo / Passport / Current Driver's License    These documents MUST have current street address on them.

Post Office Boxes are NOT a form of address and cannot be used.

If Military you must provide copy of Orders.

Bring $50.00 (fifty dollars) if permit is current while being renewed,  and $10.00 (ten dollars) for each month permit is expired -- up to maximum of 6 months. After 6 months you must retake a CCW course.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top