Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2016 2:33:59 PM EDT
Looking at possibly relocating to Springfield for work and will need a house/apartment rental for a year or two.
Are there any parts of town to avoid?
Any commute issues if I find a place 30 minutes or so out of town? I've seen nice places near Ozark.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Avoid north side and parts of west side.

Yes, ozark, nixa, battlefield, and republic are nice.  Willard (NW) is G2G as well.  Strafford is fine too as is Rogersville.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Good advice given.  What part of PA are you coming from?

Edit:  65 headed north in the mornings from Ozark can be a nail biting motherfucker!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Edit:  65 headed north in the mornings from Ozark can be a nail biting motherfucker!
View Quote

Seconded.  

Campbell Avenue between Nixa and Springfield blows as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Seconded.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seconded.  

Pretty much any direction into town in the morning sucks, but 60 East from Republic and 44 East from the 60/360/44 interchange aren't too horrible.

SW side of town can have decent rents, but there still is going to be crime.  The majority of it seems to be property crimes, with the victims involved in some way with the perp, usually drugs.  Avoid anyplace north of Sunshine street.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks folks.
I'd be coming from the rural middle of PA.
I spent a few days at the Springfield plant 2 years ago and didn't see much of the town, only the NRA museum and the Springfield Brewing Company.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Do yourself a favor and find a place in Willard, Battlefield or Republic.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like this is a definite for later this summer.

I'm looking for a rental, minimum 2 bedrooms, that allows pets. Any leads appreciated. Right now I'm using Zillow but nothing beats boots on the ground.

Thanks,
Sam
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Avoid the NE side like the plaque.  We had to stay at a hotel over by I-44 and Glenstone for over a month during a recent remodel.  The area is crawling with homeless people, most looked like huffers or crackheads.  You can't go to that Walmart without wading through five or six of them just to get in the door.  There was even a shanty built out of pallets and blankets setup behind Culvers near the Walmart Auto Center.  Looked like there were five or six people living in it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure you buy a CB so you can listen to all the truckstop entertainment.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't get in a fender bender in Springfield, someone is going to get a ticket no matter whose fault or the degree, and don't blow off a parking ticket, the municipal court issues arrest warrants.

View Quote

I'm not so sure about a fender bender and tickets anymore.  They won't send an officer unless there is an injury.  So, don't get in a fender bender because you'll have to fight insurance companies to determine who is at fault.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Newer apartment complexes at Chesterfield Village, Quail Creek off Republic Road, and around Republic Road and Golden. Also Walnut Creek which is off South Campbell and Weaver Rd.  Can put you in contact with a friend who has several duplexes off Republic Rd and S Fort area.  Central and North Springfield seems to have more drama and crime.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the tips, this isn't as easy as I expected. Some property managers seem to think it's absurd to want to rent a place without being there in person. Lots of places are weird about dogs, even specifically denying our GSD as a dangerous breed.
Last time I did anything like this was moving to the Seattle area. I found the house I liked, talked to the manager, sent off deposits and picked up keys a month later.
I'm not planning to get there until August but time flies, so I'd like to get locked in soon.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Found a house in what looks like a nice little neighborhood (just north of Fairfield Acres, if that description makes sense). I'll be an official SGF resident on August 1.
Now I need to find a shop where I can take my CCW class and a range at which to shoot!
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Not quite that far north, just on the other side of W Nichols St. Looks like a nice little neighborhood with an elementary school and a park.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not quite that far north, just on the other side of W Nichols St. Looks like a nice little neighborhood with an elementary school and a park.
View Quote

Welcome to MO when you get here.  I live about 30 min. Northeast of SGF and if you need a private range for giving instruction hit me up.  I don't have a mag dump paradise but my pistol and rifle berms are small but functional.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Bumping this - Just learned that my oldest is taking his first Engineering job in Springfield.

Any advise on housing for a recent graduate?

I'm looking forward to visiting him - Rumor has it there are hunting opportunities down there.

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#19]
We found our house via Zillow.com. There are tons of properties in the Springfield area, our issue was just finding a property management company that was willing to work with us remotely.
As for hunting, we own some acreage in the Ozarks (2 hours west) that appears to be infested with whitetail and I look forward to filling the freezer this fall...
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Good catch...yeah, the property is 2 hours EAST of Springfield, closest town is Winona.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I live in the south end of town
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, we made it...rolled in to town around 9PM on Saturday.
My neighborhood seems nice so far but it'll take a while to get used to this city. More homeless/beggars than I expected!
My wife describes the weather as "being in the clothes dryer with a load of damp towels."
Twenty minute commute (11 miles) to work this morning with no real traffic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#25]
The panhandler population seems to be on a steady rise.  44 and Kansas Exp. is loaded with them.  Campbell and 65 also.  The interviews with some leading up to the Ozark Empire Fair were interesting.  It's like Christmas in July apparently.  Overall though the Springfield area is pretty nice.  I live in Ozark and other than the mess of a drive on 65 at times it is really nice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Well, we made it...rolled in to town around 9PM on Saturday.

My neighborhood seems nice so far but it'll take a while to get used to this city. More homeless/beggars than I expected!

My wife describes the weather as "being in the clothes dryer with a load of damp towels."

Twenty minute commute (11 miles) to work this morning with no real traffic.

View Quote
once school is back in the traffic may get a bit worse.

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Found a house in what looks like a nice little neighborhood (just north of Fairfield Acres, if that description makes sense). I'll be an official SGF resident on August 1.
Now I need to find a shop where I can take my CCW class and a range at which to shoot!
View Quote

I think thats really close to me.
Eta: yeah I live in Fairfield acres neighborhood so you arent far from me at all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:40:06 AM EDT
[#28]
My daughter just got a 2 bedroom large apartment for $585 a month with water paid..Really nice place
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The panhandler population seems to be on a steady rise.  44 and Kansas Exp. is loaded with them.  Campbell and 65 also.  The interviews with some leading up to the Ozark Empire Fair were interesting.  It's like Christmas in July apparently.  Overall though the Springfield area is pretty nice.  I live in Ozark and other than the mess of a drive on 65 at times it is really nice.
View Quote

I frequented Springfield during college 10 to 15 years ago and it seemed like a pretty clean town.  I went back for work a couple years back and was surprised at all the beggar/transient types and the part of town I was staying in had a very "methy" feel to it.  I was kind of surprised.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top