Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 3:48:46 PM EDT
I've done some fast research but can't seem to find a definite answer on Missouri open carry.

To open carry do you have to have a CCW permit or can you just carry it openly?

A local paper seemed to indicate you can open carry with NO permit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've done some fast research but can't seem to find a definite answer on Missouri open carry.

To open carry do you have to have a CCW permit or can you just carry it openly?

A local paper seemed to indicate you can open carry with NO permit.
View Quote

Depends on the county for open carry with no permit.

If you have a CCW, the state law preempts any county law prohibiting open carry, which is why you saw everyone in downtown STL open carrying when the law passed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The way the law is, if I understand it correctly:  IF, you have a CCW, you can open carry in towns that previously could not open carry in.

Someone please correct me if I'm incorrect, so I don't screw up. I do have a CCW.

I hope with next President, that (he) enacts by executive order, that concealed carry goes Constitutional in ALL STATES.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Cash50 is correct.

No CCW = gtg UNLESS the jurisdiction you are in has an ordinance against it.

Have CCW = gtg no matter what any local ordinance or other authority says.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.
Wasn't clear on it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cash50 is correct.

No CCW = gtg UNLESS the jurisdiction you are in has an ordinance against it.

Have CCW = gtg no matter what any local ordinance or other authority says.
View Quote
This is the way I understood it too...

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought our new rkba amendment revision gave the state preemption over any local ordinances?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hope with next President, that (he) enacts by executive order, that concealed carry goes Constitutional in ALL STATES.

View Quote

Uh, no.....  I don't want the feds in my business any more than they already are.

How about an executive order for smaller .gov?  Let the states have their rights back to decide these things.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought our new rkba amendment revision gave the state preemption over any local ordinances?
View Quote

It does, however that carve out for municipalities is in the state law.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Uh, no.....  I don't want the feds in my business any more than they already are.

How about an executive order for smaller .gov?  Let the states have their rights back to decide these things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because 2nd Amendment issues are a Constitutional issue.  The Constitution is enforced via the federal government.  States shouldn't be making decisions on things not reserved to the states--in this case arms/weapons as prescribed in the 2nd Amendment.  Unfortunately the system is poisoned.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#10]
So let me ax you this, if State law overrides any and all municipalities, this means you can go into the liberalist of liberal MO cities and OC all damn day with only the Popo stopping by to detain you until you can convince them its state law?  Not being a smart ass just running scenarios to see how this is really playing out in real life Missouri right now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, we did not give the state preemption over local ordinances.  The State already has that power, if it wants to occupy that field of legislation, as the local jurisdictions are created by the state.  The State has done so via RSMo 21.750.  They have tweaked this statue, to now say, it's permissible, if the carrier has a license.

Now, you might be asking...does the new amendment void this authority from the state and void any local ordinance passed under it's authority.  Think back to Joyce Vs Cape Girardeau (Eastern District...AKA Eastern Dicks said it was A-OK to not allow LOADED OC under the old amendment).  Under the new standard, both Joyce and the requirement for a license to do so, should be struck down.  But, you have to remember "Dicks" are the one's that will tell you......what your amendment means....not what it says.  

Please read over this case.  http://www.courts.mo.gov/SUP/index.nsf/fe8feff4659e0b7b8625699f0079eddf/fbe9dfe81dfe3b6086257d790070500e/$FILE/SC94096_Schaefer_amicus_brief.pdf
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So let me ax you this, if State law overrides any and all municipalities, this means you can go into the liberalist of liberal MO cities and OC all damn day with only the Popo stopping by to detain you until you can convince them its state law?  Not being a smart ass just running scenarios to see how this is really playing out in real life Missouri right now.
View Quote

You mean like these guys did a couple years ago in STL proper?  http://www.stltoday.com/news/open-carry-firearm-walk-scheduled-for-saturday-afternoon-in-downtown/article_0f8e198f-8271-536d-b74d-a2652c16b972.html

Ya, you can OC.  If they had an old OC ban...your gtg with your license....they can ask to see your license.

Or go test the new amendment in court.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top