Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 12:19:51 PM EDT
My son is visiting in the end of May, and mite possibly want to do so wilderness camping on hiking in a State  park or National Forest approx an hour from the Bransion area. Arkansas would also be fine. He want to park his truck hike in and camp. He lives in Texas, and misses the trees and water. He is a Border Patrol Agent and needs to see trees. Would anyone recommend some areas that offer good wilderness camping.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Hercules Glades.  
Wouldn't call it camping. It's a wilderness area.  Bring everything to need, including water, lots of trails to cover and setup a site where you want.  You may see some horses, if the creeks and river have water you'll want to filter it.  

I'd call it a backpacking place, not a camping place.  And it's a great place to backpack.  Been there several times.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Peck Ranch Wildlife Area.  Plenty of designated primitive camping areas, no fees, lots of wildlife, maybe ever see or hear some of the Elk being reintroduced into Southern Missouri.

Ozark National Scenic Riverways anywhere between Eminence and Van Buren. Beautiful Current River.  Its where I usually spend my vacations, but it is in my back yard like 6 miles away.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Little different that what you are asking about, but I am planning a float trip on the Buffalo National River. Gonna rent canoes and go hike a few places.
Buffalo National River Look up Whitaker Point
link to the backcountry page for buffalo river
I have not been down to that area much so I can't be of much help, but I have been looking at a lot of maps lately planning some trips.

Ozark trail is another one that I have been wanting to do. Namely the Taum Sauk to Johnson Shut in route
ozark trail
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The Irish Wilderness is outstanding.

I think Devil's Elbow Wilderness is right near there though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hercules Glades.  
Wouldn't call it camping. It's a wilderness area.  Bring everything to need, including water, lots of trails to cover and setup a site where you want.  You may see some horses, if the creeks and river have water you'll want to filter it.  

I'd call it a backpacking place, not a camping place.  And it's a great place to backpack.  Been there several times.  
View Quote

My wife has taken me there a couple times for backpacking.  She grew up going all the time with her dad.

Hercules Glades is beautiful,  but it does get steep in a few areas.  If I remember right, it makes a 5mile loop from the trail head.

Make sure to go armed.  There are bear in the area.  And there have been mountain lion spottings there too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My wife has taken me there a couple times for backpacking.  She grew up going all the time with her dad.

Hercules Glades is beautiful,  but it does get steep in a few areas.  If I remember right, it makes a 5mile loop from the trail head.

Make sure to go armed.  There are bear in the area.  And there have been mountain lion spottings there too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hercules Glades.  

I think there is actually about 75miles of trails total.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I hear the ticks are already bad. If you are looking to kill a day and can go in with some friends. Pontiac Marina on Bull Shoals lake has good rates on boat rental. We rent a pontoon boat for 8 hours w/ a group of friends twice per summer and boat / fish / swim on Bull Shoals. Bull Shoals is the forgotten lake = very little traffic.  
http://www.pontiaccove.com/marina/

Make sure you get a map of the lake from the marina.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top